Home

This game feels so scripted at times

This is a discussion on This game feels so scripted at times within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #73
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: This game feels so scripted at times

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
See this I don't agree with at all. The developers stated last season I believe that the game itself cannot distinguish between the CPU team and the human team, so any "comebacks" aren't strictly isolated to just the CPU. And I can attest to this as I've had many a late inning comeback against the CPU that also seemed "interesting." This theory isn't relative to just the CPU making comebacks, it's the human too.

And heroes, I appreciate you regurgitating exactly what the developer said and proving my point that when a developer says something, some people here take it as law. Once again, would a developer admit it if it did exist?

I was quite transparent that I do not believe any rubber band logic exists. What I do believe is that the game sees a team down by a lot and assumes that that team is going to take it easy based on exactly what the developer said - that teams tend to take it easy when they get up by a lot. This manifests itself in the CPU literally throwing meatballs down the middle of the plate AS WELL AS the user aiming for corners and missing for whatever reason. I think it's a coding element as well as a human element that causes this.

Oh, and I think confidence is way too strong a factor in this game. And I think relievers are given a raw deal in that many of them are just as good as middle of the rotation starters, they're just good at what they do. The game needs to account for that better.
LOL!

The lead programmer talks programming, explains how comeback code would be counterintuitive and undercut his goal with the program...

Ties it up neatly in baseball knowledge. BAM. He must be...lying???

Brian is NOT a PR person. He has no incentive or obligation to post here. His only gain is to clarify how the game works and how he can better...

Improve his program (aka The CODE).

Everything you need to know is in the posts I quoted. It's there if you choose to actually read it.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 0

Played a game in The Show Live using player lock.

It was the Indians in Toronto against the Blue Jays.

Was player locked on the designated hitter.

Watched most of the game saw my pitcher keep getting out jams like crazy early in the game. Saw my team hit for a rally and get a run.

They were winning 2-0 in the top of the 9th. The Indians weren't hitting at all late in the game.

Brought in Brett Cecil to pitch to Lonnie Chisenhall bases were loaded think two guys were out.

Out of nowhere Chisenhall pulls to right field and it's a grand slam, the Indians go ahead 4-2 and wind up winning the game.

Watched the replay of the homerun and the bat was pretty much level with the plate and the ball ( ball looked like it should have flew up the middle towards center field ) and the ball hit more towards the handle and not the barrel of the bat, also it was a lefty lefty situation and Chisenhall is not a power hitter and Cecil had just came into the game and is a decent pitcher. That one seemed like it should have not been a grand slam and seemed scripted.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

If the user completes a late inning comeback it is
"oh my god I just played an epic game, it was so intense"

If the AI completes a late inning comeback it is
"omg this game is scripted!!"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #76
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds

Pretty much
Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #77
Tiger Paw

tyberious4now's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds

Your so right . That's why I try to not read the non-sense on this board sometimes!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #78
Pro

kchuskey's Arena

OVR: 4

I like it the way it is. If there weren't any comebacks, or late inning rallys, then everybody would just be complaining that the amount of Saves are too high!

"I remember a day before sliders existed, when we would play an entire season, before dinner."
Old 05-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #79
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Just pitched a game with Chris Sale with my fantasy team Orioles. Playing against the Red Sox. Sale has 11 strikeouts and I'm pitching a shutout game.

Been shutting down Matt Kemp and Mike Napoli the entire game. Both have 2 strikeouts.

Top of the 9th. Score is: Orioles: 1 Red Sox: 0

Sale has 25% energy left still. Plenty.

Confidence high.

2 outs, Corey Hart on 1st.

George Kottaras (79 OVR) with 65 left power steps up to plate.

I pitch a 2 seamer fastball bottom and away and it paints the corner.

Kottaras swings, hits, 2 run shot to right.

Red Sox win 2-1.

The last out I needed, i pitched to the outside and low with a FULLY confident 2 seamer which has been my best pitch all night gets DESTROYED for 410 feet by a 79 OVR player with a 65 power rating against left handed pitchers.

Ok whatever you guys say.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #80
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

To the op, maybe it's simply because you got nervous? Trust me, I played an online game losing 4-0 until bottom of the 9th, the guy just starting getting frightened since his ace Julio Tehran wasn't in anymore (went 7.1) and he couldn't figure it out. I won in the bottom of the 9th, and I am no CPU.

Trust me you are just getting freaked out at the end of the game, ultimately leaving pitches in a bad spot. But even more importantly, you have to factor these players do have a clutch rating, that will influence their mistake making tendencies and never say die-ness likewise. Also to your last example, not to sound like a smarty pants, don't leave a two seamer over the plate to anyone with nothing to lose and 2 strikes. It can vanish. I don't feel rigged, I've played many games, and I can close games out. I've also lost many close ones just as much, and I know that earth is falling feeling, nothing can go right for this guy, WTH :almost cries: type of feeling. I still don't feel like it is rigged, it just replicates baseball too much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »