Home

MLB 14 The Show: The Basics of Advanced Offensive Statistics

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: The Basics of Advanced Offensive Statistics within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 14 The Show: The Basics of Advanced Offensive Statistics

Most likely, unless you are a Sabermetrician, the terms secondary average and runs created mean very little to you.

Thus, many of the statistics hidden in the advanced statistics menus of MLB 14 The Show probably do not make much sense to you. However, thanks to the power of the mighty Google, a little bit of personal knowledge on the subject matter, and a personal visit from the ghost of Bill James (strange considering James is alive and well mind you) -- here is a guide to each of the advanced offensive statistics in MLB 14 The Show:

Runs Created (RC)
- estimates the number of runs a hitter contributes to his team. Takes into account many major offensive stat categories to come up with what is believed to be an accurate measure of an individuals offensive contribution.

Iso Power (Isolated Power) -
Aim is to measure a batter’s raw power. The formula for this statistic is simple: Slugging percentage minus batting average. The final result is intended to measure how many extra bases a player averages each at bat. The max is 3, the minimum is 0. Look for an ISO between .240 and .300 for good power hitters.

Sec Avg - Or Secondary Average, is the sum of extra bases a player gains on walks, hits, stolen bases per at bat. This statistic seeks to evaluate the number of bases a player gains independent of batting average. It is believed to be more accurate than your batting average, as secondary average accounts for power, plate discipline and speed.

AB/HR - A simple measure of how many at bats per home run a player hits.

BB/PA - Walks per plate appearance.

BB/K - Walks to strikeout ratio.

BOP - Base out Percentage. A measure of total bases acquired divided by the number of plate appearances.

Bat Runs (Batting Runs) -
An estimate on the number of runs a player produces vs. an average player in the same number of outs.

T Avg (Total Average) -
A stat developed to evaluate a player’s offensive contribution. A simple calculation is bases / outs. The stat is complex in that it takes into account walks, hits, HBP, caught stealing, stolen bases, and double plays.

POP (Productive Out Percentage) - Measures the total number of productive outs divided by the total number of outs. A productive out occurs when a baserunner advances with the first out of an inning, a pitcher sacrifices with one out, or a baserunner is driven home with the second out of an inning.

SLOB (Slugging Times on Base) - A simple calculation of slugging percentage times on-base percentage.

TPQ (Total Power Quotient) - Takes into account Total Bases, Home Runs, and RBIs per at-bat.

HEQ-O (Hoban Effectiveness Quotient for Offense) - An HEQ-O of 600 is generally considered an outstanding year at the plate. It is calculated by taking Total Bases, Walks, Stolen Bases, RBIs, and Runs into account.

Pwr Speed (Power Speed Number) - Takes into account both home runs and stolen bases. So obviously a player who is good at both will have a high Pwr Speed.

Pwr Fact (Power Factor) - This statistic measures your total bases per hit.

Pwr Average (Power Average) - Research indicates this is the original name for Isolated Power. Any other attempts to gather the actual meaning behind the statistic have been unfruitful.

BSR (Base runs) - A statistic which tries to estimate the number of runs a team should have scored given offensive stats and the number of runs created and allowed. Base Runs is said to model the runs coring process better than any other run estimator.

RF (Range Factor) - Calculated by dividing putouts and assists by the number of innings/games played at a defensive position. This stat is good when comparing players of the same position over many games, but isn’t comparable for players in different positions. First basemen and catchers will have the highest RFs typically on a team.

Do you use Sabermetrics in MLB 14 The Show? Any success stories?
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
MVP

KMRblue1027's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 14 The Show: The Basics of Advanced Offensive Statistics

Only ISO, BB/K, and BB/PA (aka BB%) really matter on the offensive side of things with how little they give us. I really want K% and BABIP and UZR.

On the pitching side BABIPA and K/9 are the only stats we get right now not even FIP sadly. I would love xFIP, K%, BB% ect.

On both sides I would love the batted ball data too but that likely never will happen without a more in depth simulation engine.

PS4 Games:
Battlefield 4
MLB: The Show (Duh)
Destiny
Old 05-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4
Thanks for the write up but none of that matters if I can't even see how many bases a player stole a year ago
Old 05-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
#OwnTheFuture

Benz87's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Thanks for the write up but none of that matters if I can't even see how many bases a player stole a year ago
Agreed. It's great SCEA is showing the effort of implementing a newer facet of stat tracking with saber metrics, but I would rather SCEA put effort into something rudimentary and meaningful as the ability to view a players career stolen bases. I've read excuses in the past of this being difficult due to the coding of the game. I'm not a programmer nor do I know anything on the subject, but if the coding is causing a product to be missing out on simple features that were implemented by other games 10 years ago, it's most likely time to look into rewriting the coding - especially with the PS4 now upon us.

Last edited by Benz87; 05-15-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRblue1027
Only ISO, BB/K, and BB/PA (aka BB%) really matter on the offensive side of things with how little they give us. I really want K% and BABIP and UZR.

On the pitching side BABIPA and K/9 are the only stats we get right now not even FIP sadly. I would love xFIP, K%, BB% ect.

On both sides I would love the batted ball data too but that likely never will happen without a more in depth simulation engine.
DIPS (explained as Defense Independent ERA for some reason) is in the game - isn't that basically what FIP is?

Last edited by bcruise; 05-15-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz87
Agreed. It's great SCEA is showing the effort of implementing a newer facet of stat tracking with saber metrics, but I would rather SCEA put effort into something rudimentary and meaningful as the ability to view a players career stolen bases. I've read excuses in the past of this being difficult due to the coding of the game. I'm not a programmer nor do I know anything on the subject, but if the coding is causing a product to be missing out on simple features that were implemented by other games 10 years ago, it's most likely time to look into rewriting the coding - especially with the PS4 now upon us.

Agreed. We need expansive statistics that are kept forever and viewable forever, in your franchise or RTTS file.

It would be nice if they could find some way to add WAR but that has a human element to it. If they figured out how to code that into the game they would be sports gaming Gods lol
Old 05-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
MVP

KMRblue1027's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
DIPS (explained as Defense Independent ERA for some reason) is in the game - isn't that basically what FIP is?
It's an older formula that underrates strikeouts and overrates walks allowed, so a power pitcher that actually is pitching well can have a meh DIPS but in general DIPS is always low.

PS4 Games:
Battlefield 4
MLB: The Show (Duh)
Destiny
Old 05-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4
The whole "code issue" is bologna. Especially since they have the total career stats just not broken down by year. For me not to see stolen bases in the player card is an issue that I refuse to overlook. They need to overhaul the entire player card to include player's personal awards, batting stats from all years played and stolen bases. Not sure how difficult can this possibly be, but with the power of the PS4, I am done listening to excuses.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »