Home

How is the power swing working for you?

This is a discussion on How is the power swing working for you? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #17
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: How is the power swing working for you?

I use normal swing most of the time unless I have two strikes with a mediocre or weak hitter.

Sometimes I use it in sac fly situations or if facing someone like Chapman.

Power swing, well I don't use it anymore really. I used it a bit in '12 and '13 but I'm comfortable with the normal swing. It just gives you more chance of making decent contact.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #18
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

OVR: 5

The way I see it:

Power swing is just a mindless, non-tactical swing. The batter focuses on the power attribute/rating of his. Power swing doesn't mean easier or more home runs. Focusing just on power will result in plenty fly balls. I rarely use it. Sometimes I use it when I'm on 3-0 or 3-1 but only with batters that struggle in general getting hits. This way they may achive the extra power needed for a solid hit or a possible HR.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #19
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I only used power last year and dominated right away. If I got the PCI on the ball then it would be hit hard. This year it just seems like its a long fly out, but like I said earlier maybe my power isn't high enough yet to use it effectively. I find that weird if true though since I've hit homeruns with normal swing and the contact wasn't any better.

I don't think it is "useless" quite yet, as I have hit a lot of gappers with it. I just don't know if the risk vs reward is balanced enough, yet you got guys relying on contact swing with their PCI covering the entire zone and checking their swing whenever they want.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstardad
I have hit more homeruns with the contact swing than I have the power swing.

I am not a fan of the power swing, as you can't check your swing and unless you square the ball up perfectly, you are going to pop up or beat it into the ground.
I've checked my swing plenty of times with power swings in the show 14. You have to tab the button very softly or you'll go around.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
It is early in my RTTS career, but power seems pretty useless. I feel like the square button is used more for "Flyball" swing than anything. I don't feel like my guy really hits it any harder.

I need to get his power up before I can truly make this claim, but in previous versions if I squared up the PCI while using power then I would hit the ball a lot harder than compared to a normal/contact swing. I would hit a lot of line drives with power.

Now it seems like Normal is almost the same as power, except with normal your PCI is bigger.
You still need to make great contact, and if your player is a weak hitting Short stops, or has lower power it is not an INSTANT HR button..power swing works well, but you dont need to use it, hit a tonne of homeruns without out, rarely use it, when I do it's normally 3-1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstardad
I have hit more homeruns with the contact swing than I have the power swing.

I am not a fan of the power swing, as you can't check your swing and unless you square the ball up perfectly, you are going to pop up or beat it into the ground.
That's the way it should be, it's like that in real life, if you go up swinging hard for the fence in real baseball, most of the time it's a risk/reward thing, you won't get good results........and you need to make good contact.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #23
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimynameisMattyK
I've checked my swing plenty of times with power swings in the show 14. You have to tab the button very softly or you'll go around.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Uh its more based on plate discipline than anything.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #24
Pro

wisdom less13's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
The way I see it:

Power swing is just a mindless, non-tactical swing. The batter focuses on the power attribute/rating of his. Power swing doesn't mean easier or more home runs. Focusing just on power will result in plenty fly balls. I rarely use it. Sometimes I use it when I'm on 3-0 or 3-1 but only with batters that struggle in general getting hits. This way they may achive the extra power needed for a solid hit or a possible HR.
I see your point, but saying it's a, "mindless, non-tactical swing" is a bit overboard. It can be very helpful if used in correct situations. If a pitcher is in trouble with runners on, I'm going to hit the ball hard. Unless it's someone with no pop. I have a lot of those playing with the METS. Hell, I use power swing with pitchers sometimes. It can be very effective if you get it off.

Franchise Mode Enthusiast.
Watch Me Suck at video games...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »