Home

When to use Power vs Normal vs Contact?

This is a discussion on When to use Power vs Normal vs Contact? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: When to use Power vs Normal vs Contact?

I know technically there are times to use each, but I really find myself 90% of the time swinging with Normal. Depending on a game situation (really need to move a runner over, down in the count) I will switch to Contact swing. When it comes to HR's/gap shots I feel like my success rate with a Normal swing is fairly decent. If I have a count in my favor RISP with less than two outs and a solid lead (as in I don't expressly need these runs) I'll go with a Power swing.

It's interesting as if I look at my tendencies (http://theshownation.com/players/Dezi_36/tendencies) it shows me with a Power Swing of 60 and Contact Swing of 21...so my Normal is only 19? That's definitely not accurate.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
MVP

forme95's Arena

Ive always just used the X (normal) swing. But after reading these comments, I'll have to start looking into the contact also. Very useful info!!

F1 23 My Team S2
GT7 Dabble

Just have fun and play :)
Old 05-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Pro

I almost never use the power swing, because like stated above, it reduces the area of contact and the swing is also slower than both other swing types.

A power swing can effect your timing, and even solid contact doesn't guarantee extra bases or even a hit. I tend to ground out or hit shots directly to fielders when using a power swing. If you must use it, do it when your team is winning huge and you're up in the count (2-0,3-1)

I mainly use normal for everything. In RTTS I'm batting .421 on AllStar, and do pretty well against friends and the CPU. Home runs are more common this way. Plus it's easier to check your swing this way.

If you're behind on the count and you need to foul off to stay alive and there's a pitch you aren't sure is a strike, just out of your reach, then contact is your best bet until you either get the count even again or see the pitch you want.

X - 90%
O - 8%
[] - 2%
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
Rookie

From the In-Game Strategy Guide (Hitting Section, Page 4):

"Power swing is most useful when the batter is ahead in the count and confident about his swing. It can help to advance runners from second or third, especially with fewer than two outs. [...]"

"Power swings are harder to time, harder to check, and have less plate coverage than regular swings. They are especially less effective at hitting pitches bordering our outside of the strike zone. But the extra power can turn a deep fly ball into a home run, turn a single into a double, or advance runners extra bases. The drawback is a big increase in misses and strikeouts and a decrease in line drives. The ideal pitch to power swing against is a fastball deep in the strike zone, which is most common on ahead counts"

"Contact Swing is most useful when the batter is behind in the count and not confident about his swing. It can help to avoid strikeouts and even prolong a difficult at-bat into a walk. [...]"

"Contact Swings are easier to time, easier to check, and have more foul coverage than regular swings. They are especially helpful in catching pitches outside of the strike zone that are normally very difficult to get. However these hits do no travel as far as with regular swings and generally are not as valuable for offense."

"Unlike Power Swinging which helps a good hitter achieve extra bases, Contact Swings are mainly for helping weak hitters avoid a strikeout. Situations where this may matter include certain close game situations such as scoring a runner from third with less than two outs. In unique situations, by sacrificing the overall potential for multiple runs you are increasing the chance of a single run to tie or win the game as with a sacrifice bunt. It's best to use Contact Swing sparingly."
Old 05-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 20

Here's another thread with basically the same topic if you're interested: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...rking-you.html

My general rule is guys hitting under .220 or thereabouts, I almost exclusively use the contact swing. They haven't earned the right to try to do anything more. Contact swing also for 0-2 and 1-2, usually.

Normal swing - probably 80% of the time.

Power swing - basically when my literal objective is to hit a HR (3-0 or 3-1 count with runners on, e.g.).
Old 05-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

These selections are very much situational. I don't use them to gain an advantage on the CPU, if your cpu level is matching you really well then you can't use these as an unfair advantage toward gameplay.

Power swing really strips your ability to hold off a pitch, rightfully so, so be convinced whether you are swinging or what zone you are convinced to swing at before you activate this swing. This swing does not guarantee you'll line it up for a HR either, you may just line up a ground ball or miss the pitch and end up hitting it like a middle school kid.

Contact swing, is where I get a little nervous that I gain an unfair advantage on the CPU. But basically, employing this when you are in a near desparate situation at the plate, 0-2 with a pitcher or weaker hiter up or in a desparate game situation. Basically, employing this you are just looking to foul off or simply ruin any pitch that catches you off gaurd in the zone. Balls PIP here are rarely crushed for any sort of XBH but you can see some get through the IF but most likely you will see a desperation looking swing mode in play here.

Normal swing, your player brings lumber up to the plate and do along the lines of what they can naturally do with it. The other two modes definitely have their disadvantages but they are used for a reason. Again, I do fear these modes can be abused though, by a human player if they're not playing on a high enough level.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 20

Another thing to keep in mind here is pitch speed. Guys who throw a lot of slow junk (70-84 mph range) should probably be attacked with the power swing more often, as those pitches don't "supply" anywhere near the power a 100-mph fastball does.

So like against a fireballer-type, one might lean contact with normal mixed in and stay away from the power swing entirely; while against a junkball-type, one should probably definitely lean normal and mix in power while avoiding contact almost entirely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

I do not use Power swing at all. In previous versions of The SHow I used contact swing only if it was a two strike count or if I needed a sac fly. But in 2014 I use it much more because it seems to be more effective than ever. I can even hit home runs on fastballs with contact on a regular basis. I could never do that before. Honestly, I think contact swing is too powerful right now and should be modified.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »