Home

Stadium Effects A Factor ?

This is a discussion on Stadium Effects A Factor ? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Stadium Effects A Factor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
Contact determines the direction and velocity of the ball, as well as ball spin. Wind is also known on any given hit. Given this info, it's possible to predict where the ball will land before it lands. You could even predict the entire ball path ahead of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile

Once the landing point or ball path is known, you can simply compare that against the stadium.

The ballpark dimension definitely affects home run chances, as the hitting system has no concept of home runs. When we tested various teams and stadiums, Yankee stadium produced way more home runs than other stadiums. We don't take for granted that things will work out the same as real life, but it's a good sign when it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFan80
Thanks Brian.

Does the ball travel farther in Coors Field due to the thinner air? I know my geek meter is pegging, but I was wondering if you guys put in air resistance in your equations.
Quote:
This does happen in high altitude stadiums like Coors, and the open desert stadiums in the minors (Turbine, Flagstone, etc..). The opposite effect isn't as big as this in sea level / cold stadiums.
Quote:
One other thing you can see when in these stadiums is your pitch breaks are slightly lower. Your pitch speeds are slightly higher. This is visible in the pitch break indicator in 1P games.
Here's a little Q+A on the subject from a few years back. I'd assume it's still the same but obviously we can't know this with any certainty.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Triples Alley in SF is very much so a factor in my games.
Phillies ballpark and Coors are hitting minefields.
Short RF in Yankees Stadium is definitely in play.

All dimensions and specialties in a ballpark are pretty much in play just as you would expect unless there is just a glaring anomaly I am not aware of.

Ballparks like Marlins and Atlanta are kind of tough to get HRs on unless you are controlling Giancarlo Stanton
Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack23
I don't think so because you hardly ever get rain-outs in the game. I know that wind plays a big part in certain stadiums as does temperature. For example, I don't think I've ever played a non-windy game in Chicago.
I've played a few games in the rain. So far at least, each rain game has just been a light rain the whole time. Are there varying degrees of rain? It would be cool if it started cloudy, then rained and then cleared up - variable weather.

Also I am surprised that rain does not seem to impact the game. For example I would expect running to be slower and the play to be messier, more errors, less control for pictures, etc. So is this just graphics candy or does the rain impact the game? Clearly wind plays a factor but I'm wondering about rain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
Pro

letsgopens66's Arena

OVR: 4

I hope so, because I'm two games into a series against the Reds at GABP and there have been a total of 15 HRs so far
Denver Broncos
Old 05-22-2014, 02:41 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

So he said the opposite effect isn't as strong. Does that mean the ocean air from Petco doesn't really knock the ball down?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Rookie

xKaoTicxLegEndx's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66
I hope so, because I'm two games into a series against the Reds at GABP and there have been a total of 15 HRs so far
I just finished a 3-game series at GABP in my Tampa Bay franchise. I can't remember the exact total, but I swear I hit 15+ HRs alone. I had one player hit 4 HRs and drive in 10 runs in the series by himself. I had a couple of others hit a pair of HRs in the series. And I believe I scored 29 runs total in that 3-game series with over 30 combined hits.

The 3-game series in Kansas City just prior to going to Cincinnati was absolutely brutal for me, so playing in that hitter's haven jump-started my offense like I needed it to.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 0

Do day and night games play differently? The commentary talks about it almost every night game in Oakland, but I have yet to see a difference in home runs, ie: more home runs during day games.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

2020: 52-39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2015, 12:47 PM   #16
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3

Reviving a dead thread but since I just picked up "14" . . . . I did a fantasy draft and Philly's team is ranked 3 in Contact and 5 in Power and 25th pitching. Gonna be a LOT of runs scored in that park LOL

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »