Home

The umps on variable are dreadful

This is a discussion on The umps on variable are dreadful within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The umps on variable are dreadful

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtelford
At the risk of coming off like a giant smart ***...have you watched a lot of major league games? I literally have watched thousands upon thousands of games in my 39 year old lifetime. And Umpires are dreadful. well some. and they are far from consistent. one inning they give felix no outside corner...next inning they give the opposing pitcher every corner. Its the way it is. sorry but I disagree with this post COMPLETELY. I love the umps in this gamee. could they be improved on...probably...but it would risk you picking up on their tendancies and using that to your advantage.
So you're telling me that if I throw a fastball on the outer third and it catches a big part of the plate and it's thigh high, an ump is going to CONSISTENTLY miss that call? Please. I don't care how old you are or how many games you've watched. I've been watching baseball long enough that it's a call that will not be missed. The coding for the variable calls can be MUCH better and it is faulty enough to warrant a fix.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #42
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtelford
Exactly I don't get the complaint. If you want that umps to be perfect ...turn it off. this thread actually seems pointless. watch Baseball. Umps are inconsistent and squeeze people all the time. purposely or not. it happens.
Calling my thread pointless is just as much as me calling your comment pointless. I asked if anyone else noticed how bad it is and I will stand by it. Telling someone that their wrong and telling them to pretty much deal with it is unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #43
Pro

Clarityman's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeszcz
I've noticed it from day one and I actually like it. I only had the opportunity to play the 2K series in the past and once I got the pitching down pretty good it was fairly easy to paint the edges of the zone and dominate. I like the variability and while I feel like I've gotten screwed on some pitches I do know that there have been quite a few where I got calls out of the zone that I shouldn't have.

What does suck though is variable umpires coupled with meter pitching. It seems to me that the meter mechanic is broken to some extent as I will execute a perfect pitch with the meter, but the pitch ends up wildly away from where it was intended. I realize energy & confidence play a part in pitching, but those variables affect the way the meter works....lack of energy and confidence means a fast meter that is tougher to execute...but if I execute on the meter, specifically stopping it precisely on the yellow/white line (so that it flashes) my pitch should be delivered specifically to where I intended it. When it doesn't, but instead drifts to to the black, or to the knees or letters, thus on the edge of the zone and the ump calls a ball, well that just sucks.
Depending on the count, pitcher's confidence, stats, the hitter, hot zones, and many other variables, hitting the sweet spot on meter does not necessarily denote "executing a perfect pitch."
Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #44
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
I want variable zones, but consistency within that game. That I don't see.
You don't see it in MLB either. I've watched baseball for many many years and umps are all over the place even during the same game..it's realism at its finest..

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Old 05-21-2014, 01:58 AM   #45
Pro

letsgopens66's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp
You don't see it in MLB either. I've watched baseball for many many years and umps are all over the place even during the same game..it's realism at its finest..
Really? And nothing to back that up? Here's an article that says umps are wrong 14% of the calls: http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar...wrong-20140331

And there's a fangraphs post out there that says umps are getting better. I get roughly 10-15 iffy calls per 5 innings pitched on my end. This approximates that umps are wrong anywhere from 20-25% of the time in the Show (in my games at least), which is too high. We're not asking for perfectly called games. Just more consistently called games, which WOULD be realism at its finest.
Denver Broncos

Last edited by letsgopens66; 05-21-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2014, 02:22 AM   #46
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

It's interesting to look at data:

What you can see from the charts, you can say:

(1) the strike zone varies from umpire to umpire, offset in some "systematic" way, e.g., Welke's zone is systematically wider on the outside than McClelland. (in fact they often vary by handedness of pitcher and also the pitcher himself)

(2) near the edge of the strike zone, the pitches can often go either way, and it's basically a coin flip.

(3) they are rare, but there are indeed blatant missed call, even well inside/outside the strike zone.

So the fact that the call seems to be fairly random near the edge of the strike zone, almost as random as coin flip, is just a reflection of reality.

What I don't notice strongly is the umpire to umpire tendency, the systematic "overall offset" of strike zone. I'm sure it's coded in, but I'm yet to find out the clear tendency myself, even after all these games. For example, as a pitcher, I don't feel there is any umpire with which I can consistently get favorable call on pitches just outside of the zone on my way.

The images were borrowed from this article: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=14951
Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #47
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgopens66
Really? And nothing to back that up? Here's an article that says umps are wrong 14% of the calls: http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar...wrong-20140331

And there's a fangraphs post out there that says umps are getting better. I get roughly 10-15 iffy calls per 5 innings pitched on my end. This approximates that umps are wrong anywhere from 20-25% of the time in the Show (in my games at least), which is too high. We're not asking for perfectly called games. Just more consistently called games, which WOULD be realism at its finest.
You might get 10-15 iffy calls per 5 innings I sure don't..a dozen a game per side for me. So for me, it's like MLB. Realism at its finest.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Old 05-21-2014, 03:40 AM   #48
Rookie

physicx's Arena

I've noticed the black umpire calls a ton of strikes below the knee and won't give you anything above the waist. The others are pretty consistent with corners and inside pitches.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »