Home

Hitting with a runner on 1st & less than 2 outs

This is a discussion on Hitting with a runner on 1st & less than 2 outs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Hitting with a runner on 1st & less than 2 outs

I am curious how different players handle hitting with a runner on first, or runners on first and second, with less than 2 outs. Typically, my number one objective is to NOT hit into a double play. My results are less than optimal .

With a runner on first I know there will be a hole between first and second. Do I ALWAYS want to aim for a ground ball in that hole or should I be looking to hit something in the gap (pull or opposite field), particularly with a power hitter? If I am looking for a gap do you use the right thumbstick to influence, i.e. up/diagonal. Also, what does it mean when 1/2 the time I don't get the feeback vibration when trying to use the right stick to influence a hit?

With a runner on first AND second, again, what should I be aiming to do? My hitting is getting significantly better and I am starting to draw my fair share of walks (3.8 per game). But with the additional baserunners comes an additional need to have a greater influence over what happens with runners on base.

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Hitting with a runner on 1st & less than 2 outs

I am always manually guessing low in the zone looking for the double play ball. while holding the pci there, I wait for a pitch that is in the zone, not falling out. hope to get a line drive the other way. If you are patient, you wil get a pitch you can hit hard, and not just beat into the ground.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I try to work the count to 3-2 or 2-2, use contact, influence down and opposite field and do hit and runs with contact guys. If they have power I swing power and influence up. I don't like to just do nothing and be aggressive with a runner on 1st. I become super patient and try to find a good time to do a hit and run or swing for the fence.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

I usually take until I get two strikes and just try to get the pitch count up and then I use contact or lay down a sac bunt. I am finding contact works best and when I swing early in the count I tend to hit the ball too hard and GIDP. I find the first two strikes are the ones the pitcher wants you to swing at and until you become a good two strike hitter you aren't going to get the pitches you want early in the count.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

The only times I influence are very situational -

- Runner at 2nd, nobody out - right side influence to advance the runner to third

- Runners 1st and 3rd or Bases Loaded, 1 out - fly ball influence (to avoid the inning ending DP)

- Runner at 3rd, less than 2 out, Infield playing in - fly ball influence (to avoid hitting a grounder that won't score the run).

That's about it off the top of my head. I don't influence fly ball to avoid a DP with a runner on first - it's just not worth the risk of hitting a popup IMO. And I also don't use it to hit sac flies with when the infield is playing back (i.e. not in a DP situation or trying to cut down a run at the plate). In those situations an infield grounder works just as well.

Besides that, I just let the game's natural hit variety take over, and I see all types of results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

- Runner at 2nd, nobody out - right side influence to advance the runner to third

- Runners 1st and 3rd or Bases Loaded, 1 out - fly ball influence (to avoid the inning ending DP)

- Runner at 3rd, less than 2 out, Infield playing in - fly ball influence (to avoid hitting a grounder that won't score the run).

That's about it off the top of my head. I don't influence fly ball to avoid a DP with a runner on first - it's just not worth the risk of hitting a popup IMO. And I also don't use it to hit sac flies with when the infield is playing back (i.e. not in a DP situation or trying to cut down a run at the plate). In those situations an infield grounder works just as well.

Besides that, I just let the game's natural hit variety take over, and I see all types of results.
Interesting. If you use zone do you move the PCI at all?

Do you also find that you don't always get the vibration feedback when you use swing influence? I know that has been true for years but it is even worse this year IMO. If it doesn't mean anything, no big. But if no feedback means swing influence isn't working then ugh. I often find myself at the plate stepping out again and again until I finally get the vibration feedback. "And he steps out yet again. Some mind games being played here perhaps."
Old 05-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsonoma
Interesting. If you use zone do you move the PCI at all?

Do you also find that you don't always get the vibration feedback when you use swing influence? I know that has been true for years but it is even worse this year IMO. If it doesn't mean anything, no big. But if no feedback means swing influence isn't working then ugh. I often find myself at the plate stepping out again and again until I finally get the vibration feedback. "And he steps out yet again. Some mind games being played here perhaps."
I still get the vibration - it's very slight, less than previous years, but it's still there.

I think it still works fine. I've had a few times where if I fly ball influence and swing at a low pitch that I'll ground it anyway, but for the most part as long as the pitch is good I'll get the result I'm looking for if my timing is good.

I believe swing influence is more useful for timing and analog, since you don't have full control of the PCI. You can't purposely swing underneath the ball and hit in in the air like you can with zone, I mean.

On my RTTS I'm playing HOF Zone, and I do move the PCI (but mostly on 2 strikes to avoid K'ing). You really need to have your PCI lined up on the ball to see your influence effect IMO.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

If you time the pitch well and influence up, I highly doubt you guy will just "pop" it up. I see what you're saying though. I just don't think influencing the swing has that much of an effect. Also remember I am assuming when you say "pop up" that means infield pop up and fly out means it went to the outfield.

I hate double plays and I feel like if you don't try to be patient then you'll just hit into them a lot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »