Home

Just curious about Wrigley Rooftops

This is a discussion on Just curious about Wrigley Rooftops within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Just curious about Wrigley Rooftops

I was just wondering about how in the new game Watch_Dogs, they base their game in Chicago, but they cannot use the likeness of certain buildings and/or landmarks. I'm sure if they paid $$ for those rights they could. It got me thinking if Sony San Diego has to pay $ to the Wrigley Rooftop owners to use the likeness of the buildings they own? Also, the Cubs eventually will be sued by the these owners because the new ideas for Wrigley will to some degree obstruct the views of the rooftop paying customers. Are we seeing the last of the rooftop fans on future MLB The Show games?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Just curious about Wrigley Rooftops

I doubt they pay anything to the rooftop owners. The Wrigley rooftops in The Show are pretty generic, and I don't think you can copyright a building in that sense. Maybe if it had distinct architectural elements or was a landmark building, but the rooftop buildings at Wrigley are pretty standard. Also, the owners of the building may not technically own the rights to their design. They just bought the property/building, and all their entitled to are the bricks and mortar. The architect who designed them would hold the rights to the actual building design.

Also, as another consideration, Wrigley gets royalties (17%) from the owners of the buildings, so maybe they're just included with the licensing of that.

But based on the lack of other licensed elements (Admiral Motors anybody??), I doubt SDS paid anything for rooftop bleachers.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23

God I hope they don't get a dime! They're nothing but leeches! Can't wait till Ricketts puts up all his signs and their businesses go to the crapper!

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker

Last edited by CubFan23; 05-23-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Wonder what it will take for SonySD to look into acquiring more of these licenses, the only thing really licensed in this whole game is Nike, not even Louisville Slugger is.. All games sports related have had deep licensing rights for years, it's really time for them to give that to us. However, I do understand this game doesn't sell worldwide like the others do or even within North America as much as the others so that's probably the only reason for licenses to be missing so much.

While that may be the case, I still feel that its worth investing in. Surely they can loan a few million off of Big Sony for the operation.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
Wonder what it will take for SonySD to look into acquiring more of these licenses, the only thing really licensed in this whole game is Nike, not even Louisville Slugger is.. All games sports related have had deep licensing rights for years, it's really time for them to give that to us. However, I do understand this game doesn't sell worldwide like the others do or even within North America as much as the others so that's probably the only reason for licenses to be missing so much.

While that may be the case, I still feel that its worth investing in. Surely they can loan a few million off of Big Sony for the operation.
Capitalism is the ONLY reason why there aren't more licenses in the game. For every copyrighted product they license, that eats out of their profit margin.

Unless the consumer is willing to pay extra for the licenses, it will always be this way. No company in this era will ever put any extra costs into a product unless they are sure they will get it back + some profit.

There is no mp3 or media support on the PS4 because Sony believed that not enough people used those features to warrant the cost of licensing mp3 and CD capability. But notice how you can stream music using Sony's Music Unlimited service? Because they make money on that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

The solution to licensed signage is to give us the option of creating our own. Same goes with stadiums, jerseys, bats, etc.

This is one area where The Show has great room for expansion. The more creative the tools, the more authentic the experience.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Rookie

wolfpack23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de

I remember reading somewhere that it is doubtful that we will see name brand gear inserted into the game anytime soon. The result would stretch their resources and take away from some of the stuff they give us in the actual gameplay. However, am I the only one that misses NCAA Baseball 06 and the incentive system they used for your schools in unlocking endorsement deals? Obviously that wouldn't work for a pro sport but it was a very cool concept imo.

Personally I would rather keep seeing gameplay improvements and possibly some new accessories versus getting licensed gear and possibly losing out on core improvements.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Rookie

wolfpack23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
The solution to licensed signage is to give us the option of creating our own. Same goes with stadiums, jerseys, bats, etc.

This is one area where The Show has great room for expansion. The more creative the tools, the more authentic the experience.
It's going to be a great day when we can relocate a team or build a new ballpark during the offseason. I am all for customization of accessories before getting locked in licensed gear.

My dream scenario would be to take Oakland and build them a brand new stadium in the city! Obviously I would build an even higher and mightier Mt. Davis haha jk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »