Home

Signing draft picks - question?

This is a discussion on Signing draft picks - question? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12
Signing draft picks - question?

So I just started a franchise a few hours ago, and I just drafted... played like 20 games on quick counts(lol) and was simming, scouting, and managing everyone. So I came up clutch with the phils.... got a 65 OVR 94 pot first pick who was my target, then second round I took a guy who was a bit off scouting wise, but was a B Pot still, then I took a guy I thought was 87 pot 66 OVR, but he was D Pot(lol) then, I was guessing and going by OVR, and snagged an 88 and 87 POT! Then I got stuck with a D, but my main question is, what happens if I don't sign the third rounder I messed up on? I remember seeing you get a third rounder next year or something? Is this true?

Thanks in advance
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Signing draft picks - question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFry
So I just started a franchise a few hours ago, and I just drafted... played like 20 games on quick counts(lol) and was simming, scouting, and managing everyone. So I came up clutch with the phils.... got a 65 OVR 94 pot first pick who was my target, then second round I took a guy who was a bit off scouting wise, but was a B Pot still, then I took a guy I thought was 87 pot 66 OVR, but he was D Pot(lol) then, I was guessing and going by OVR, and snagged an 88 and 87 POT! Then I got stuck with a D, but my main question is, what happens if I don't sign the third rounder I messed up on? I remember seeing you get a third rounder next year or something? Is this true?

Thanks in advance

No, or at least not necessarily. You only get compensated if you fail to sign your 1st overall pick. In that case, you get a compensation pick for next year's draft 1 slot lower. So if you failed to sign the #12 overall pick, you would get the #13 pick next year.

I don't remember the last time a 3rd rounder failed to sign, so I'm not sure if the rule applies to picks after the 1st round.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer
No, or at least not necessarily. You only get compensated if you fail to sign your 1st overall pick. In that case, you get a compensation pick for next year's draft 1 slot lower. So if you failed to sign the #12 overall pick, you would get the #13 pick next year.

I don't remember the last time a 3rd rounder failed to sign, so I'm not sure if the rule applies to picks after the 1st round.
Thanks. Hopefully someone knows for sure... I know I heard something about failing to sign a draft pick will get you the pick back, accept one slot less, you're probably right tho thats its only the first round.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFry
Thanks. Hopefully someone knows for sure... I know I heard something about failing to sign a draft pick will get you the pick back, accept one slot less, you're probably right tho thats its only the first round.
Yeah, the wording of the rule is a little vague. Baltimore's first pick this year is in Round 3 (#90 overall) and they're the first team I've seen in a while who has had a 1st overall pick after the 2nd round.

But what are the odds that the #90 pick doesn't sign?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
Rookie

wolfpack23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer

It was to be a first round pick that doesn't sign for you to get compensation. If the pick was in the supplemental round or later the team that failed to sign him is out of a pick. That's why signability is so crucial in the real MLB draft. You will often see a team reach a bit for a player in the first few rounds of the draft and then grab a first round talent later in the hopes that they can sign him.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »