Home

Manual Catch for RTTS (question)

This is a discussion on Manual Catch for RTTS (question) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Manual Catch for RTTS (question)

When you see the green arrow do you hold L2 or tap it once? I feel more comfortable holding it down, but I am not sure which method the proper use for manual catch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Manual Catch for RTTS (question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
When you see the green arrow do you hold L2 or tap it once? I feel more comfortable holding it down, but I am not sure which method the proper use for manual catch.
It's not the arrow you want to time - it's the baseball. You want to wait until you see the ball halo turn yellow to green before you press L2 (and it doesn't matter if you hold it down). The arrow is for positioning - you do want it green, or ideally for it to fade away just as the ball is approaching - that means you're in position for the catch and the fielder is going into a catch animation. You'll still have to press L2 at the right time to make the catch.

I'm enjoying using manual catch in RTTS - makes me feel like I'm earning all my training points.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
It's not the arrow you want to time - it's the baseball. You want to wait until you see the ball halo turn yellow to green before you press L2 (and it doesn't matter if you hold it down). The arrow is for positioning - you do want it green, or ideally for it to fade away just as the ball is approaching - that means you're in position for the catch and the fielder is going into a catch animation. You'll still have to press L2 at the right time to make the catch.

I'm enjoying using manual catch in RTTS - makes me feel like I'm earning all my training points.
Yeah I was just meaning the color. I like to hit L2 as soon I see green, because if I wait to the last second then they don't always catch it.

Does the fielding attributes even matter if you use manual catch and throwing meter??

I love using both and my guy is a SS. It was difficult, at first, but now I got used to it. You basically have to pre-load your throws, hit the meter perfect, then time the manual catch in order to make a good play.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Yeah I was just meaning the color. I like to hit L2 as soon I see green, because if I wait to the last second then they don't always catch it.

Does the fielding attributes even matter if you use manual catch and throwing meter??

I love using both and my guy is a SS. It was difficult, at first, but now I got used to it. You basically have to pre-load your throws, hit the meter perfect, then time the manual catch in order to make a good play.
I know attributes affect the "green zone" of the throwing meter, but I don't know if it affects the chance of manual catch success. On my CF I think I have around 60 Fielding and I think I've made every catch I pressed while it was yellow (I hit it a bit too soon sometimes).

I hear you on the infield play, preloading is pretty much exactly how you have to do it. It can be an adventure when trying to watch the meter and field the ball at the same time!
Old 05-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Did they change the camera view for fielding pop-flys in the infield for RttS this year? I can't even count how many pop-ups I biffed in my 3B RttS last year because I couldn't see how close the ball was. I really like manual catching in RttS but that was pretty annoying.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLooseCannon
Did they change the camera view for fielding pop-flys in the infield for RttS this year? I can't even count how many pop-ups I biffed in my 3B RttS last year because I couldn't see how close the ball was. I really like manual catching in RttS but that was pretty annoying.
Unfortunately no, and that's one of the big reasons I don't care much for infield RTTS with manual catch and would rather play an outfielder. You just have to watch the fielder's animation to know when the ball is coming down. The timing window is at least pretty forgiving on it, though - you're better off hitting the button too early than too late.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »