Home

Quick Counts .... nope

This is a discussion on Quick Counts .... nope within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
Rookie

ovm807's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Quick Counts .... nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbusch22
I just got the game yesterday and played one game with QC. I can tell I will love it since it'll let me get through multiple seasons. I still drew no walks even on a 3 ball count, but at least I can actually drain the CPU pitch count.

Dumb rookie question though - how on earth do I get a reliever in without having to bring him in mid at-bat? Ditto for wanting to pinch-hit for a non-pitcher. My SP threw 146 pitches on Opening Day because I couldn't seem to bring a reliever in before an AB started. Or is bringing subs in mid at-bat just the norm with QC since most of the AB will be simmed anyway?
This is the reason I stopped using quick counts. Relief pitchers coming in mid-count are messing with the stats. I removed my starting pitcher with a 2 run lead and 2 men on. Because the count was in the hitters favor for the new batter, my starter became responsible for him and ended up getting the loss even though he never pitched to the batter. When I pulled him, he was only responsible for the tying run. He should not have gotten the loss.

I also noticed this is happening with batters. They will pinch hit and ground out but they are not showing they had an at bat in the box score depending on the count they started with.

Maybe if there was time to bring in a pinch hitter or relief pitcher before the quick count is generated I would use it, but not the way it is now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #26
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovm807
This is the reason I stopped using quick counts. Relief pitchers coming in mid-count are messing with the stats. I removed my starting pitcher with a 2 run lead and 2 men on. Because the count was in the hitters favor for the new batter, my starter became responsible for him and ended up getting the loss even though he never pitched to the batter. When I pulled him, he was only responsible for the tying run. He should not have gotten the loss.

I also noticed this is happening with batters. They will pinch hit and ground out but they are not showing they had an at bat in the box score depending on the count they started with.

Maybe if there was time to bring in a pinch hitter or relief pitcher before the quick count is generated I would use it, but not the way it is now.
I think the counts not reseting for new releivers brought in mid-inning is a bug.

BB's are also being given to the pitcher that was subbed out in these situations too.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #27
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

OP, I have been asking for generated counts (QC's) for years and SCEA finally made it a reality. I think ASB 05 is still the GOAT all-around baseball game BUT this year's game is awfully close because of excellence in other areas.

Some post history to show I was asking for this:

3-2-2011http://www.operationsports.com/forum...2&postcount=52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
GENERATED COUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12-22-2011http://www.operationsports.com/forum...6&postcount=13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I have been an advocate for generated counts since the days of ASB '05

They had it perfect:

Random
0-1
0-2
1-0
1-1
1-2
2-0
2-1
2-2
3-0
3-1
3-2

Please SCEA!!!!!!
Then Knight165 chimed in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
You forgot...Batters count....Pitchers Counts as well!
Random was my favorite though.

M.K.
Knight165
And then the man, the myth, the legend, the guy holding up the Astros sign in my franchise game last night acknowledged that the message was received...

12-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Not this year

I am truly grateful to have such an awesome representation of the game of baseball in The Show. Last night I'm watching a Show-motion replay of a swing that resulted in a double in the gap and I can't get over how spot on the swing and overall fluidity of the play was.

Back on topic: I love the option and will never not use it. I've always had the very common issue of not walking enough and this type of option is what I need. Here's an inning I had on offense last night:

#3 hitter Jason Castro: Walk
#4 hitter Matt Dominguez: Walk
#5 hitter Adam Dunn: Infield Fly
#6 hitter Jon Singleton: Walk

Bases loaded with one out and I didn't even record a hit!!!

#7 hitter Alex Presley: GIDP

Final words: ASB 05 had it perfect with the counts including all counts and multiple options for the generated counts (batters, pitchers, random, smart). Hopefully SCEA investigates what they can do to improve the feature.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #28
Rookie

ovm807's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
I think the counts not reseting for new releivers brought in mid-inning is a bug.

BB's are also being given to the pitcher that was subbed out in these situations too.

Technically, it is correct. If a pitcher is replaced mid-count and the count is in the batters favor, the replaced pitcher is responsible for the hitter.

If they set it so you have to hit "X" to begin the next at bat, whether you're pitching or hitting, that would give you a chance to make a substitution prior to the count being generated.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #29
Rookie

Chetballard's Arena

OVR: 3

I am using QC in my franchise. I have been for about 15 or more games, and really enjoying it. 162 game season I will take any help I can to make the season go faster, without siming a game. I might change it if i make postseason but at this point its QC all the way. A

As far as stats go quick counts have held up way to provide realistic results.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #30
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovm807
Technically, it is correct. If a pitcher is replaced mid-count and the count is in the batters favor, the replaced pitcher is responsible for the hitter.

If they set it so you have to hit "X" to begin the next at bat, whether you're pitching or hitting, that would give you a chance to make a substitution prior to the count being generated.
Right. I get that.

What I'm saying is that THE BUG that's not generating new counts for pitcher's brought in mid inning IS CAUSING the subbed out pitcher to receive credit for the AB.

It needs to be fixed.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #31
Banned

ROTTEN's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't think I'm completely done with QC's. I may use it from time to time to see if SD make any improvements. I tried another game last night using QC and I just find it really hard to adjust and get into the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2014, 01:45 PM   #32
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I used it for about 20 games of Spring Training to try to set my Dynamic Difficulty level. I couldn't get into it either. I like to see how pitchers are working and see tendencies, and you just can't do that with quick counts. So I'll stick to full games

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »