Home

Quick Counts .... nope

This is a discussion on Quick Counts .... nope within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #33
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Quick Counts .... nope

My concern with QC is that I am not getting any stubs. It seems like I get like 10 or less per game.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #34
Rookie

ovm807's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Right. I get that.

What I'm saying is that THE BUG that's not generating new counts for pitcher's brought in mid inning IS CAUSING the subbed out pitcher to receive credit for the AB.

It needs to be fixed.

I agree that it needs to be fixed and until it is, I won't use it. I think it was something that was missed and not realized when they added the feature. I think having to hit a button to start a new at bat while hitting or in the field would resolve the problem. You need the ability to sub prior to the count being generated.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #35

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

My only issue with QC's is the formula behind what the count is. When I have Kershaw on the mound I shouldnt start behind in the count to the opposing SP all 3 times I face him, to me that takes away any idea that there is a formula and more that its a general roll of the dice. How does a CPU SP with absolutely zero energy, facing a guy who went 2/2 off him already, start the count 0-2? I'll keep using QC's and just deal with the few issues that annoy me but it needs to be tweaked and fine tuned imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #36
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm still up in the air about quick counts. I have been using QC's to get caught up with the real season in my franchise and have been enjoying using them since I can play a whole series in a night.
The good things I like about it is that it has made me a more patient hitter I seemed to work the counts better and walk a lot more since you can start off having 1,2 or 3 balls in the count but I also find myself digging out of pitcher counts with more easy as well.
The bad things I don't like about it like some have mention is the situational aspect of the game, It really hampers in bunts and steals situation, I don't like if say your 8th place hitter gets on first with 1 to no outs and the pitcher comes up with 2 strikes already against him basically causing you not being able to risk bunting the runner over to second in a fear of striking out.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #37
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2

I was pretty surprised and disappointed when Russell confirmed that they're done tweaking QCs for the year. It really needs some fine tuning on the "formula" that generates the count, to say nothing of the situational stuff.

That said, cool feature that I use constantly and I hope to see big steps forward next year.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #38
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver
I was pretty surprised and disappointed when Russell confirmed that they're done tweaking QCs for the year. It really needs some fine tuning on the "formula" that generates the count, to say nothing of the situational stuff.

That said, cool feature that I use constantly and I hope to see big steps forward next year.
Oh well. I'm not going to pretend I'm not a little disappointed as I really liked the first tweak and hoping they'd do something similar again (slightly less 3-2, slightly more 1-1), but all in all I'm happy enough with it as it stands.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #39
MVP

Pezell04x's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTTEN
G'day peeps!

Many of us don't have time to play several games a day ..... or even one full length game. Quick counts come into play and it's a god send ... or is it?

I didn't think I would like quick counts, but after giving it a go I sorta fell in love with it. I could play several games a day and get decent results doing so. It didn't seem to take much away from the game and I thought I was having just as much fun using QC as I would with a normal game ..... that is until I turned quick counts off for a game 3 days ago.

I turned quick counts off for a change of pace and now I can never go back. I'm able to take the first pitch, work the pitch count, bunt, steal, take my time and enjoy the game for what it is - the best sports sim ever made.

I've come to the conclusion that this game needs to be played as if you are in the game. It just doesn't feel right (for me) when I rush it just to get a game in. Taking my time to enjoy the atmosphere, the cut scenes, the overall feel of the game is unmatched by any other game on the market and I highly doubt any studio will ever come close to The Show.

I'm not bashing Quick Counts. I think QC's work great for people that want to play more games per day or want to finally complete a season and I applaud SD for implementing the feature into the game ..... it just isn't for me.

Not really trying to make a point or certainly not trying to start a flame war, but I'm just curious if others have fell in love with Quick Counts only to fall out of love with them just as fast?

Cheers
I play quick counts on vita/PS4 when I do exhibition games. For franchise games it is the full game.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #40

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
I'm still up in the air about quick counts. I have been using QC's to get caught up with the real season in my franchise and have been enjoying using them since I can play a whole series in a night.
The good things I like about it is that it has made me a more patient hitter I seemed to work the counts better and walk a lot more since you can start off having 1,2 or 3 balls in the count but I also find myself digging out of pitcher counts with more easy as well.
The bad things I don't like about it like some have mention is the situational aspect of the game, It really hampers in bunts and steals situation, I don't like if say your 8th place hitter gets on first with 1 to no outs and the pitcher comes up with 2 strikes already against him basically causing you not being able to risk bunting the runner over to second in a fear of striking out.
I know it appears as an issue but bunts in this game are so easy to pull off for the most part that bunting with 2 strikes is far less of a gamble then say swinging away and hitting into a double play. I've bunted countless times in 52 games with 2 strikes and the pitcher up and only once has it backfired on me so the percentages are fine regardless of starting with a 2 strike count.

Now as for steals, I know what youre saying to a degree but I've had zero issues stealing when I want to and am top 5 in the league in steals using QC's for every game to date so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »