Home

You think tattoos will ever be in this game?

This is a discussion on You think tattoos will ever be in this game? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
FA

Factzzz's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: You think tattoos will ever be in this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
There is no article on it. Devs have come in here years passed when this same question has been asked. The reason players have neck tattoos is due to the fact that the only part of the player models that are different for player is the head and neck everything below the neck is the same for every player model in the show. Also for the arm tattoos Nick Livingston mentioned it during a live stream when someone asked that question on his twitch feed. They asked a few years ago about arm tattoos and the MLB told them it was a no go.
I don't think the necks are different though.

For example, Darvish has a really long neck in real life (lol), but in the Show, it looks the exact same as everyone's else.

Which is why it doesn't really look like Darvish imo.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #18
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ10
LOL, I dont know if you were joking around or being serious. If you were being serious it has nothing to do with it being a rare or distinct "trademark". It has to do with the ONLY thing that is unique to player models is the face scan. So if you have a neck tattoo it gets scanned in with your head scan. Everything from the neck down is a generic body so that is why there are no tattoos there. The mlb didnt shoot down arm body tattoos and allow neck tats, this is purely about player bodies being generic.
MLB does not make the game or the player's bodies in the game so I don't know what you are talking about. They could very well tell Sony to take the neck tattoos all off as well. I was just giving a theory why they would tolerate neck tattoos but no go on the full out tattoos represented for their video game.

I never played 2kBaseball extensively, does anyone know if they even had tattoos (neck down). Their graphics never got to the level of the NBA game obviously, but did they have any tats. They were most likely told no as well.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #19
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
I don't think the necks are different though.

For example, Darvish has a really long neck in real life (lol), but in the Show, it looks the exact same as everyone's else.

Which is why it doesn't really look like Darvish imo.
Im a big modding guy for pc games. Ive modded tons of tattoos and faces and what not for both the nba 2k games and mlb 2k games on pc so I will try and explain how it works.

Players can be done numerous ways. Nba 2k does it this way. They have a 3d model for head and neck that is then "covered" by a flat image of the players face which would include neck tattoos. They also have a few different body type 3d models which include arms that are also covered by individual skins which include tattoos of the individual players.mlb the show doesnt do this.

Mlb 2k and the show do it the same for head and neck. For the body however they have certain body types just like nba 2k but instead of being covered by individual skins they are covered by generic skin tone 1 or skin tone 2 or 3 or so on. I know this because in mlb2k i made tattoos for my created player by changing one of the ingame generic skin tones and editing every other player to have a different skin tone. This way they only have to do 6 different arm skins instead of 2500 or however many players are in the game. In reality they could use generic skin colors for most of the players and different ones for players with tattoos but it still would be a ton of work.

Im gonna assume Yu Darvishs neck is because they use a generic 3d model for it. Hence why you say it looks like everyone elses.

I guess my point after all that lol is if mlb was concerned about tattoos so much it could easily be taken off the texture picture of the player. Im not calling anyone a liar but it seems more like an excuse because it definetly wouldnt be easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »