Home

Which fielders are just awful at fielding for you? (it's kind of a funny story.)

This is a discussion on Which fielders are just awful at fielding for you? (it's kind of a funny story.) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
Pro

caseyj622's Arena

OVR: 3
Which fielders are just awful at fielding for you? (it's kind of a funny story.)

I love how they implemented some errors in the outfield this year and the defensive ratings actually matter. You can't just stick a DH in the outfield and not get punished.

For me though, its Alex Presley. I have him in LF and at first it was just an error in Texas, he dropped a routine fly ball. I thought ah, freak accident. A couple games later in Texas again, he let one go right over his head. I laughed it off, oh well. He was hitting well for me, so I let it go. Fast forward to a game in Oakland, He drops another easy pop fly. At this point I am very upset and on the verge of pulling him, but I needed his bat. Then, the unforgivable happened.

I am up 3-1 in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. Coco Crisp hits a line drive to left and theres Presley going back. At this very moment, all my horrible memories flash back to Texas. I thought there's no possible way he can mess this up too, RIGHT? RIGHT?!?! He reaches up to catch it, and he completely whiffs. The Ball goes to the wall, and both runners score to tie the game. I immediately pull him from the game. I am not sure he will ever be heard from again. Rage trade possibly coming. The game goes to extras, and I give up a walk off homer to Crisp.

Never in all my years of playing the show have I been fearful of an outfield liability as I have this year with Presley. The weird thing is, his fielding ratings aren't even bad. Honestly though, I am LOVING it. Makes me wonder how much worse some of the really bad outfielders could be.

So, this brings me to my question for all of you. Who have been your defensivie liabilities this year?

Last edited by caseyj622; 05-28-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Which fielders are just awful at fielding for you? (it's kind of a funny story.)

I've been extremely lucky with my defense. I'm Tampa Bay and have Dexter Fowler and signed Kemp in the offseason. Plus Wil Myers makes a fantastic defense. Jonathan Villar, Longoria and two drafted guys at 1st and 2nd plus Ryan Hannigan makes for a great defense. Only errors I'm seeing is when I have a liner hit to me in left or right and move my guy when I don't have to
Old 05-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Rookie

saturn2187's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Which fielders are just awful at fielding for you? (it's kind of a funny story.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj622
I love how they implemented some errors in the outfield this year and the defensive ratings actually matter. You can't just stick a DH in the outfield and not get punished.

For me though, its Alex Presley. I have him in LF and at first it was just an error in Texas, he dropped a routine fly ball. I thought ah, freak accident. A couple games later in Texas again, he let one go right over his head. I laughed it off, oh well. He was hitting well for me, so I let it go. Fast forward to a game in Oakland, He drops another easy pop fly. At this point I am very upset and on the verge of pulling him, but I needed his bat. Then, the unforgivable happened.

I am up 3-1 in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd. Coco Crisp hits a line drive to left and theres Presley going back. At this very moment, all my horrible memories flash back to Texas. I thought there's no possible way he can mess this up too, RIGHT? RIGHT?!?! He reaches up to catch it, and he completely whiffs. The Ball goes to the wall, and both runners score to tie the game. I immediately pull him from the game. I am not sure he will ever be heard from again. Rage trade possibly coming. The game goes to extras, and I give up a walk off homer to Crisp.

Never in all my years of playing the show have I been fearful of an outfield liability as I have this year with Presley. The weird thing is, his fielding ratings aren't even bad. Honestly though, I am LOVING it. Makes me wonder how much worse some of the really bad outfielders could be.

So, this brings me to my question for all of you. Who have been your defensivie liabilities this year?
Thank you. This made me laugh hard - since i'm at work i had to contain it
Old 05-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1

Nelson Cruz. I DH him as much as possible but sometimes I need him in LF when I want to give someone else a day off in the field.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Rookie

saturn2187's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc020791
Nelson Cruz. I DH him as much as possible but sometimes I need him in LF when I want to give someone else a day off in the field.
Really? I did a fantasy draft and I have him in LF in Atlanta. I haven't found him to be bad - in fact has a nice arm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12

In the outfield, Desmond Jennings. Always seem to have problems with him when using TB.

In the infield Alberto Callaspo, who has since been dubbed Calla**-hole because of his repeated terrible play in this game. No offense to him in real life.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn2187
Really? I did a fantasy draft and I have him in LF in Atlanta. I haven't found him to be bad - in fact has a nice arm.
Yeah his arm is good but that's it
Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Oddly enough Manny Machado is leading my team in errors. Through mid-June I think he has 6 or 7. Most are my fault I guess as I try to throw a laser everytime and even if you are slightly off on the timing your throw will pull the 1st baseman off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »