Home

The Show getting Stale?

This is a discussion on The Show getting Stale? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: The Show getting Stale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
Guys his point was that there is no immersion in the game outside of the actual on-field action, you don't have to keep zeroing in on the part about "tweets."

Specifically in RTTS, You can't even look at a list of transactions during the season. You can't see who your team drafts when June rolls around. Sometimes I'll be playing a game and see a superstar player on a new team and say "wow how did he get there?" and have no way of finding out.

If any of you have played FIFA, the Be A Pro mode does a great job of keeping you aware of what's going on in the league OUTSIDE of just your specific player. I would love it if The Show tried to emulate that aspect of FIFA. It has trade news and rumors (or "transfer" in soccer parlance lol), actual write-ups on your team/players games and current level of performance, you will see comments made by your manager about your player in the media, etc.

The gameplay is great, but RTTS (and franchise to be honest) in The Show feels cold and empty. I never feel a sense of context whatsoever. Yes franchise is a little bit better than RTTS when it comes to the amount of information available to you, but there's still no sense of context. The league doesn't feel alive. I'd like there to be a news section that keeps you up to date on, for example, pennant races without me having to manually check box scores and standings constantly to get a sense of what happened. "Rockies Close Within 1 game of Giants in NL West Race Off 2-run Shot By Tulowitzki With 3 Games Left To Play." Yes I could find out that the Rockies beat the Giants myself by looking at daily box scores, but I wouldn't know how the game was won, and it wouldn't feel exciting. I would recommend having a News section with 4 tabs for RTTS/3 tabs for franchise: News about your player (for RTTS only), news about your team, news about your division, and news from around the league as a whole.

They could also keep you aware of career milestones and season statistics. "Miggy Reaches 40 homers For 3rd Straight Season With 8th Inning Blast Off David Shields." Just a simple news headline that could add so much to the immersion. But of course, in order for that to happen, they need to overhaul another glaring weakness in the game: statistics. You can't even look at a player's stats from more than I think 5 years ago (however many seasons can fit in the player card), and even then, the stats you CAN see from the last 5 seasons can not even be called "basic" because that would be giving it too much credit. I can't even see a player's on base percentage from the previous season. Just average, homers, RBI and stolen bases.

As a manager in franchise mode, you also have no interaction at all with your Owner or anybody higher than you in the food chain other than them saying "alright here's your budget this year." In FIFA they give you goals, that could easily be done in The Show. "Based off our budget and our roster, we think we should be earning a wild card spot at the least this season." Or if you're rebuilding, "We know we're in a state of roster flux and we have a ton riding on our minor league prospects developing and arriving in the next couple years. However, we think we should at least be good enough to avoid being last in the division this year." BOOM. How hard is that? Of course they could make "Managerial Goals" an on/off option for those who don't like it. FIFA also has the ability for you to go to your owner and request additional funds. Say you want an extra $10 million to get some more pitching because you think that's the last thing that your team needs in order to contend. You go to your owner, request $10 million and then make him some sort of assurance like "we will win the division"." They can turn you down, or they can also come back and say "we can't give you $10m but we will give you $5m."

I know I keep mentioning FIFA, and I'm sure somebody will come in here and be like "well if you love FIFA so much go play that instead of The Show!" If only I liked soccer as much as baseball lol.

Depth. Immersion. Context. These things are what's missing from The Show for me. Everything on field is great (not perfect, but great). It's when I'm not on the diamond that I feel like there's something lacking.

And I just want to say that I have great confidence in the developers to bring us these things. I know these things probably weren't possible on the PS3 without having to remove a bunch of other stuff. And I know that this was the first year on the PS4. So I'm not sitting here bitching, I'm saying that I know this stuff is possible and I have faith that the devs will bring it to us. I'm sure they have a lot of ideas that are way better than mine lol.
Exactly, glad someone posted and understood what i was saying without cherry picking one thing and attacking, doubt i'll post much here anymore, very disappointed in this forum, thought OS sports was a better place to come for sports gaming, apparently not.

To say the league presentation cannot be improved is assinine imo, there is almost nothing outside of on field action to immerse you,. Why don;t I see Someone hit for the cycle, someone won 10 straight.etccc....
Old 05-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #34
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quick counts
OSFM rosters
30-man control
OS Trade Discussion thread
Managing my farm system
Scouting
Super deep offseason

I think there are areas that could be improved but this game is pretty deep as it is.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #35
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingWeazel
Exactly, glad someone posted and understood what i was saying without cherry picking one thing and attacking, doubt i'll post much here anymore, very disappointed in this forum, thought OS sports was a better place to come for sports gaming, apparently not.

To say the league presentation cannot be improved is assinine imo, there is almost nothing outside of on field action to immerse you,. Why don;t I see Someone hit for the cycle, someone won 10 straight.etccc....
so people dont agree that its not stale and youre going to play the victim card give me a break you posted it was stale and others posted how TO THEM it's not stale and giving you suggestions on how to get some entertainment out of it, but again sure youll purchase 15 so all of it is moot
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #36
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:

Quote:
Can anyone here not post like a 4 year old? You are posting ona video game forum dude......think about the irony in your post. Where is the rule we cannot discuss things that can be improved upon without being insulted?
Quote:
Posts like this make me not to want to post here anymore, we cannot talk about how to improve the show or get labelled as complaining? How old are you? The show is fantastic I even said so in the original post, but lets not pretend it cannot be made even better.
You should be more defensive and condescending when people don't agree with you or react to your posts how you'd like.

If you don't want responses to your posts, you are posting in the wrong forums.

Quick counts, player lock, improved ball physics, dynamic cams and a much improved RTTS system have made the game much fresher for me.

I think MLBTS has gotten to the point where it's at the pinnacle for it's genre and once again, people are going out of their way to find fault.

Last edited by bkrich83; 05-30-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #37
MVP

videobastard's Arena

OVR: 14

When i read the thread topic i immediately thought commentary, but that has been stale. I have not played road to the show this year so i cant comment on that area of the game.

I play the game with no commentary again this year to only hear the stadium announcer and crowd sounds. Im just wishing for improvement in this area going forward.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #38
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobastard
I play the game with no commentary again this year to only hear the stadium announcer and crowd sounds. .
I do the exact same thing.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #39
Banned

Mets1986's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You should be more defensive and condescending when people don't agree with you or react to your posts how you'd like.

If you don't want responses to your posts, you are posting in the wrong forums.

Quick counts, player lock, improved ball physics, dynamic cams and a much improved RTTS system have made the game much fresher for me.

I think MLBTS has gotten to the point where it's at the pinnacle for it's genre and once again, people are going out of their way to find fault.

Well those are respectfully your own views. Others like the OP has his, others agree, and i feel are welcome, whether they may collide with your own views or not.

People who think the game can be made better (and it certainly can) should have a place to air their views without ridicule, just as The Show Nation website have a right to lock threads that may have an adverse opinion to their own given their effort to sell games.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #40
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I might follow suit with the commentary because it is pretty stale. I think it's pretty good for what it is but let's be honest: a 162 game season is tough to really keep fresh with commentary. I think it's just a huge task to really keep it fresh.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »