Home

MLB 14 The Show: Little Things Which Add to the Experience

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: Little Things Which Add to the Experience within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
MLB 14 The Show: Little Things Which Add to the Experience

Last week, we ran an insightful article that highlights some of MLB 14: The Show’s small, but impactful, problems. All of those issues Jayson points out are evident, and can detract from the overall fun.

However, I think MLB 14 on the PS4 is one of my favorite games from the last five years. I’ve probably played more games in The Show this year than any baseball game in the past; only rivaled by MVP 2005.

So, in the interest of balance, here are small, but important additions MLB 14: The Show gets right.

Read More - MLB 14 The Show: Little Things Which Add to the Experience
Platform: PS3 / PS Vita / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
I'm glad you're enjoying it. I waited for the PS4 version and, after a week, traded it in on the PS3 version because the load times, lack of custom soundtrack support, custom camera save bug that forced me to reset my hitting camera every time I booted up the game, missing details from the PS3 version (e.g., the "A" on Arizona's sliding roof, etc.), and gigantic install size for what seemed like only a minor bump in visuals over the already outstanding PS3 version, made me want to wait for next year's PS4 version, which hopefully at least loads faster and doesn't have any major day one bugs.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Show. Sony San Diego made another all time classic-level game, but I feel like the PS4 version needs a little more polish. I loved the inclusion of bat/ball boys, but could we get some ball girls mixed in too?

At least Sony San Diego had the wisdom to not alignate offline franchise players like 2K Sports did with the horrible VC server check stuff in NBA 2K14 for PS4/XBOne. MLB 14 on my PS3 is a great game and I'm happy to know I can continue my franchise progress in the next PS4 version. Thanks Sony San Diego. Any critizism I level is because I love your product and want you to keep pushing hard to be the best.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0
I agree with you man! I have the ps3 as well and bought the ps3 version at launch and it was great! I then traded it in for the ps4 version,and to be honest,I really should have just kept the ps3 version and waited until next year and bought the ps4 version,because I'm pretty sure it's going to be a better game! The positives of the ps4 version compared to the ps3 version visually are the lighting is better,the colors pop more,the stadiums do look better,but not that much better then the ps3 version,the fans are much improved,they look great in the cut scenes,but if you look at the crowds normally they don't look that much better. In a nutshell,I sum it up this way,it's a more polished version of the ps3 version,as far game play and options,it's virtually the same as the ps3 version! So there is really no need to go into that. With all that being said,both games are very good,and you really can't go wrong with either one!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
I cant stress enough that for me the only "little touch" im missing is sounds of the show. It ads so much realism not to mention if the fact that I used to like the song fire and brimstone until I heard it a bizzilion times in this game.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
I'm glad you're enjoying it. I waited for the PS4 version and, after a week, traded it in on the PS3 version because the load times, lack of custom soundtrack support, custom camera save bug that forced me to reset my hitting camera every time I booted up the game, missing details from the PS3 version (e.g., the "A" on Arizona's sliding roof, etc.), and gigantic install size for what seemed like only a minor bump in visuals over the already outstanding PS3 version, made me want to wait for next year's PS4 version, which hopefully at least loads faster and doesn't have any major day one bugs.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Show. Sony San Diego made another all time classic-level game, but I feel like the PS4 version needs a little more polish. I loved the inclusion of bat/ball boys, but could we get some ball girls mixed in too?

At least Sony San Diego had the wisdom to not alignate offline franchise players like 2K Sports did with the horrible VC server check stuff in NBA 2K14 for PS4/XBOne. MLB 14 on my PS3 is a great game and I'm happy to know I can continue my franchise progress in the next PS4 version. Thanks Sony San Diego. Any critizism I level is because I love your product and want you to keep pushing hard to be the best.
I Will never understand ever why so many ppl complain about the load times in games, especially sports games. Ok the game takes like a minute to load up when you first boot the game, or a min when you choose to play a game, why is that such a problem?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2014, 12:32 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: MLB 14 The Show: Little Things Which Add to the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Banner
I Will never understand ever why so many ppl complain about the load times in games, especially sports games. Ok the game takes like a minute to load up when you first boot the game, or a min when you choose to play a game, why is that such a problem?
Couldn't agree more. A small price to pay for such a great game. Are people's lives so crammed with things to do that the loss of a minute or two should cause them such anguish? In that case I'm glad that my life runs at a more leisurely pace.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:05 AM   #7
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger
Couldn't agree more. A small price to pay for such a great game. Are people's lives so crammed with things to do that the loss of a minute or two should cause them such anguish? In that case I'm glad that my life runs at a more leisurely pace.

Some people are rushed to get a game in and don't want to wait so I see their point.

But I agree with you the load times, for me at least, are worth it for such a great game. At this point I would triple the load times to get an NFL game that is this well thought out and put together.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 05-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43

Out of all the little things only the dynamic cameras is something I use.

Also........Not Removing Options

-Slow mode option is missing
-Dugout presentation (when a player comes back to the dugout after a game changing type at bat) along with player reactions.
-offline franchise and online franchise are not the same as far as stats, carryover yr to yr etc

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »