Home

Help me pitch more K's!

This is a discussion on Help me pitch more K's! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Help me pitch more K's!

I just can't seem to get any more than 3-4 a game. I use the Brewers in franchise mode. I use Meter pitching on All Star.

I usually pound the strike zone. Just a habit.

Lately though I use fastballs on the corners and edges and try to get an 0-2 count. If I can get to 0-2 or even 1-2, then I'll use some fastballs and breaking balls on the edges or outside the zone completely and hope I can get them to chase.

They just never seem to chase, or always make contact. But when they make contact, it's never a foul ball - always an infield fly or something.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Help me pitch more K's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan2
I just can't seem to get any more than 3-4 a game. I use the Brewers in franchise mode. I use Meter pitching on All Star.

I usually pound the strike zone. Just a habit.

Lately though I use fastballs on the corners and edges and try to get an 0-2 count. If I can get to 0-2 or even 1-2, then I'll use some fastballs and breaking balls on the edges or outside the zone completely and hope I can get them to chase.

They just never seem to chase, or always make contact. But when they make contact, it's never a foul ball - always an infield fly or something.
I don't really keep track of the amount of strike outs I throw, but I remember getting about 7 K's through 5 innings with one of my pitchers. I think I usually get close to 10 k's per game.

The key is to change the eye level of the hitter. Work all four corners. Whatever combination of pitches, just vary your pitch location, and pitch speed.

Above the letter high strikes. Vary your pitch speed. Throw two fast ball pitches on the inside, follow that with an outside pitch above and away. Instead of a first pitch strike, consider throwing a curve ball in that situation. Three slow pitch change ups in a row, then a high pitch fast ball inside. Four straight high fast ball, then a low sinker on the inside. Two inside curve ball, curve ball, then slider away. Two high pitch fast ball inside, then a fast ball low and away. Anything to keep the batter on his heels. Keep them guessing, always.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Aside from the obvious mix speed and location, some pitches work well off of each other. 2 Seam fastball works really well after establishing your slider.

Change up your patterns each time through the order. There are far too many possibilities for me to list, but you cannot go hard,hard, breaking for the entire game.
Typically the 6th and 7th innings is when I get a lot of Ks because I change up my patterns. First time through I may throw FB until I get to two strikes, but in the 6th you may not see a FB until I get to two strikes. Curve down in the zone, changeup down and away inn the zone, curve low out of the zone, fastball high and inside. That has gotten me quite a few middle to late inning strikeouts.

Also pay attention to what the batter is doing.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
Formerly simon48xbox

The_Balm's Arena

OVR: 6

I like to find a pitch or two that I know have good odds of the batter chasing out of the zone and not getting any contact. This way I have 1-2 strikeout pitches. Running a cutter or a 2 seam fastball off the edge of the strike zone and towards the batter, especially by the middle of the strike zone works really well for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »