Home

Scouting Question

This is a discussion on Scouting Question within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Question

I'm interested to see it too, because I've only rarely had a few pitchers stay at a 99 potential when fully scouted. (I've drafted two of them, and around 4-5 years developing they are close to that potential)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
Agreed it should. For fun if you get around to it check that info out and post it here as well. None of us programmed the game so we'll have to wait for a dev to comment to satisfy your current questions, but it would be interesting to know the scouts stats.
I don't see where that would make any difference, what my scouts have. Any scout who says so and so is going to be a superstar, and that is what a 99 rating would indicate, would report ratings/attributes befitting that of a superstar. If a scout is bad, he still has to report why he believes someone to be a superstar. He still has to account for that projection. He may be wrong as to what happens in the future, but he should have reasons for the 99 projection, such as the player has lots of power, or will have lots of power. How do scouts in real baseball report on their projections?

My scouts:

R. Nielsen - West

Pitcher 94
Position Player- 96
Discovery--98
Efficiency--49

This is the scout I use to fully scout position players. I also use P. Miller to scout for position players: Position Player 87 Discovery 91 Efficiency 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSD
I'm interested to see it too, because I've only rarely had a few pitchers stay at a 99 potential when fully scouted. (I've drafted two of them, and around 4-5 years developing they are close to that potential)
I have position players fully scouted with potential 99.

I have stated earlier in this thread the problem is position players. Pitchers have high 90 potential with meaningful attributes, something that makes sense for their high rating.

The players I'm talking about are with regard for actual vs. potential:

43--99
Contact 35--63 Power 36--52 speed 35--55 Fielding 38--67 Arm 36--47

41--99
Contact 38--63 Power 27--47 speed 38--69 Fielding 28--71 Arm 32--63
Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #27
MVP

Quote:
No one in real baseball says so and so is a 99 (even trout) or any other top prospect. And the ones that are very seldom end up being the very best player ever in that draft or a for sure hall of famer. Its an educated guess based on pass examples and applying what they think they know.

As for the game, these instances do seem the dont correlate to how you or I believe they should work, so either we're wrong or the system is flawed. As I said until a dev comments on the issue or how its suppose to work..this is just people guessing.
I agree with that!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #28
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I don't see where that would make any difference, what my scouts have. Any scout who says so and so is going to be a superstar, and that is what a 99 rating would indicate, would report ratings/attributes befitting that of a superstar. If a scout is bad, he still has to report why he believes someone to be a superstar. He still has to account for that projection. He may be wrong as to what happens in the future, but he should have reasons for the 99 projection, such as the player has lots of power, or will have lots of power. How do scouts in real baseball report on their projections?
It would make a difference in the fact the game is trying to build in uncertainty and you dont like how they are doing it. Its a video game, theyre not real people. I can understand the need for clarity but the game is trying to show not everything is exact...much like real scouting. a #1 prospect which could have the potential to be a "99" will not have 80 skill in his 5 tool ratings on the 20-80 scale, this is a video game..not reality..the scouts arent going to be held accountable for their numbers..Its not real ( just hope the area gets improved and make a suggestion)

Last edited by MLB Bob; 06-12-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
It would make a difference in the fact the game is trying to build in uncertainty and you dont like how they are doing it. Its a video game, theyre not real people. I can understand the need for clarity but the game is trying to show not everything is exact...much like real scouting. a #1 prospect which could have the potential to be a "99" will not have 80 skill in his 5 tool ratings on the 20-80 scale, this is a video game..not reality..the scouts arent going to be held accountable for their numbers..Its not real ( just hope the area gets improved and make a suggestion)
The uncertainty is if the player will perform to expected ability.

You say I don't like how they are doing it and have stated you don't know how they are doing it.

"As I said until a dev comments on the issue or how its suppose to work..this is just people guessing."
Old 06-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #30
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I'm a fan of how fluid the ratings/potential are

I understand the OP's question as this is something we're not accustomed to with video games. Before everything was so exact and this is rather free flowing.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 06-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #31
ND

NDAlum's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
The uncertainty is if the player will perform to expected ability.

You say I don't like how they are doing it and have stated you don't know how they are doing it.

"As I said until a dev comments on the issue or how its suppose to work..this is just people guessing."
Sounds like you got your answer so we'll go ahead and lock this thread. We'll make sure to post any dev reply with regards to this question in this thread if we find out anything.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #32
ND

NDAlum's Arena

Looks like we got some info from SCEA via Knight

One problem that the OP can't seem to get past is that the POTENTIAL that the scout gives is not his future OVR...but his letter grade potential once he is signed.

Potential is a probability of future prospects for the player and INFLUENCES how the player will progress in his career.(towards the ratings given by the scout....how quickly and probability of reaching the potential ratings determined by the scout)

A scout that has a higher rating in pitcher/position player.....and DISCOVERY AND region will have be the quickest at finding the most and best prospects. They work in conjunction towards discovering the number and quality of prospects.

Then the pitcher/position player in conjunction with efficiency will determine how quickly a scout will be able to fully scout a player.

I asked him a few follow up questions in regards to if fully scouted players by any scout will yield the same actual/potential ratings(individual ratings) or if one of the ratings for the scouts will yield different results accordingly...and if those ratings given are hard ceilings or not.

Cliff notes: the potential doesn't mean a guy will be rated a 99, it is moreso directed to how fast they will progress. We still don't know everything

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »