Home

Scouting Question

This is a discussion on Scouting Question within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #33
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Scouting Question

...again...sorry for the spelling and sentence structure....I was typing quickly on my phone at work.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #34
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Looks like we got some info from SCEA via Knight

One problem that the OP can't seem to get past is that the POTENTIAL that the scout gives is not his future OVR...but his letter grade potential once he is signed.

Potential is a probability of future prospects for the player and INFLUENCES how the player will progress in his career.(towards the ratings given by the scout....how quickly and probability of reaching the potential ratings determined by the scout)

A scout that has a higher rating in pitcher/position player.....and DISCOVERY AND region will have be the quickest at finding the most and best prospects. They work in conjunction towards discovering the number and quality of prospects.

Then the pitcher/position player in conjunction with efficiency will determine how quickly a scout will be able to fully scout a player.

I asked him a few follow up questions in regards to if fully scouted players by any scout will yield the same actual/potential ratings(individual ratings) or if one of the ratings for the scouts will yield different results accordingly...and if those ratings given are hard ceilings or not.

Cliff notes: the potential doesn't mean a guy will be rated a 99, it is moreso directed to how fast they will progress. We still don't know everything
Ah, so 99 means he is an A potential. Still, my question was about the attributes and how that relates to a 99. So now we know, I think, 99 is A potential, but the players I noted don't seem to have A potential attributes. My scouts have been posted and no problem there that I can see.

Last edited by Cavicchi; 06-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #35
MVP

What am I supposed to know about these two players? They are A potential? They will progress fast to their potential attributes? If the latter, then I couldn't assume they are A potential. Is it that you aren't supposed to know their letter grade?

SS Billy Buscher Overall 41 Potential 99.

Contact Actual and Potential 38--63, Power 27--47, speed 38--69 Fielding 28--71 Arm 32--63

2B Johnnie Ellsworth Overall 43 Potential 99.

Contact actual and potential 35--63, Power 36--52, speed 35--55, Fielding 38--67 Arm 36--47.

My scouts:

R. Nielsen - West

Pitcher 94
Position Player- 96
Discovery--98
Efficiency--49

This is the scout I use to fully scout position players. I also use P. Miller to scout for position players: Position Player 87 Discovery 91 Efficiency 55.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Are the players that are fully scouted when you start a franchise supposed to be the blue chip, can't miss, prospects? If so and I have the #1 overall pick, so I just go with one of those players?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #37
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

We're trying to see if those potentials are hard caps or fluids. You asked a very good, valid question and I'm happy it led to this type of discussion to help guys in their franchise.

I know I looked at potential a lot more than their attributes.

Here's a question that I have:

If I don't scout a guy but he has 85 potential...it seems to just stick when I draft him. I did a test where I didn't scout some guys and I picked a guy with 85 POT in a late round. I then went into edit player and it said he had 85 POT.

I was expecting a guy in the 5th round to have that POT drop substantially.

Does the POT not change if you draft a guy even if you didn't scout him?

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #38
ND

NDAlum's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
What am I supposed to know about these two players? They are A potential? They will progress fast to their potential attributes? If the latter, then I couldn't assume they are A potential. Is it that you aren't supposed to know their letter grade?

SS Billy Buscher Overall 41 Potential 99.

Contact Actual and Potential 38--63, Power 27--47, speed 38--69 Fielding 28--71 Arm 32--63

2B Johnnie Ellsworth Overall 43 Potential 99.

Contact actual and potential 35--63, Power 36--52, speed 35--55, Fielding 38--67 Arm 36--47.

My scouts:

R. Nielsen - West

Pitcher 94
Position Player- 96
Discovery--98
Efficiency--49

This is the scout I use to fully scout position players. I also use P. Miller to scout for position players: Position Player 87 Discovery 91 Efficiency 55.
I think the mistake you are making is this:

A guy rated 99 potential will become a 99 overall rated player
A guy rated 75 potential will become a 75 overall rated player

I don't think that's how it works. I believe a guy who is 99 potential will progress the fastest towards his ratings ceiling. A guy with a low potential will progress much slower.

If you notice the veterans in the game who are rated decent but have A potentials you'll see the reason is for progression/regression purposes. The higher potentials are given to older guys so they don't regress as much.

That's how I am interpreting the system

Old 06-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #39
ND

NDAlum's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
Are the players that are fully scouted when you start a franchise supposed to be the blue chip, can't miss, prospects? If so and I have the #1 overall pick, so I just go with one of those players?
All the blue chips are fully scouted, yes.

I would look for a guy who you think has pretty good attributes at the moment and a nice projected att set so you can see where he'll be at pretty quickly. You'll likely get a mid-high A prospect so you'll be able to pick a guy who should be ready in a decent time frame.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #40
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I think the mistake you are making is this:

A guy rated 99 potential will become a 99 overall rated player
A guy rated 75 potential will become a 75 overall rated player

I don't think that's how it works. I believe a guy who is 99 potential will progress the fastest towards his ratings ceiling. A guy with a low potential will progress much slower.

If you notice the veterans in the game who are rated decent but have A potentials you'll see the reason is for progression/regression purposes. The higher potentials are given to older guys so they don't regress as much.

That's how I am interpreting the system
I didn't say anything about 99 overall, I am asking how those player attributes relate. Their attributes give no indication of being an A potential player, so their 99 potential means what? That they will progress fast? If so, fast to what? The unknown? I posted the fully scouted information for those players noted above.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »