Home

Scouting Question

This is a discussion on Scouting Question within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #49
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Scouting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I have a better solution, Season mode!
A simple "thanks for trying to help" would have been sufficient.

You're welcome at any rate.
Enjoy season mode.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 06-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
A simple "thanks for trying to help" would have been sufficient.

You're welcome at any rate.
Enjoy season mode.

M.K.
Knight165
I was only kidding. I will play Season mode and Franchise mode. Well, Franchise mode at least until All-Star break in the game, and might even keep both going.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #51
MVP

rjackson's Arena

This ended up being an informative thread. Thank you for effort in getting these answers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #52
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
This ended up being an informative thread. Thank you for effort in getting these answers.
My thanks to the person who started this thread
Old 06-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #53
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
My thanks to the person who started this thread
Don't hurt yourself

Watch me play video games
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Right......that # relates the eventual potential letter(and the +/- associated ....I'm guessing that's why we get the number here and in the editor....to allow for the broader range.)

I also guys are still thinking to when A meant straight progression to a 90's player. While it still is the best scenario for that....it looks like with the new scouting(2 years now) ......the letter potential correlates more to the likelihood....speed in which....and size of yearly gains for a player to reach the scouts projections.

I still have questions out to SCEA on whether those scouting projections are hard caps or not(I doubt it....and I'm sure there is a +/- for error on those numbers as well) and if any scout ratings impact how the ratings potentials are seen when a player is fully scouted(different scouts).

It actually seems as though the discovery process is more important as Luis(SCEA) stated better rating for P/PP plus DOSCOVERY plus scouts rated region will yield better # of and quality of prospects.

M.K.
Knight165
What is his username? I am interested in reading what he has to say.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #55
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

How does potential work once the player is on your roster though? It isn't the same...that's for sure.

I never see C potential guys progress much once they are in the 70's and even if they had a 99 potential when you draft them it doesn't feel like they get to their caps that much quicker. It seems more based on their performance.

I kind of like that, but then again I don't. Inflating stats at the minor league level doesn't necessarily mean a Triple A player should be any better than what he actually is. This is also the same for a Double A/Triple A player playing at a huge ball park. I know some of the minor league parks are huge.

I also have guys like Jon Singleton who have done just fine his first few years and has a respectable OPS hovering around 780-800 in his 3rd year, but his potential dropped to a C? What the heck? Did I call him up too early? Was this pre-determined? Is it better to let them sit in the minors and inflate their stats to gain confidence? I don't think players like George Springer and Jon Singleton should have their potential drop after 2 years, because they didn't post 900+ OPS's. Also do raw statistics like RBI's, Runs, hits, etc. count towards progression? If so that is silly too.

Just a few gripes of mine...I know in real life how these things work, but in the game they aren't really described. I guess I am complaining more about potential fluctuating after the draft than scouting itself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
How does potential work once the player is on your roster though? It isn't the same...that's for sure.

I never see C potential guys progress much once they are in the 70's and even if they had a 99 potential when you draft them it doesn't feel like they get to their caps that much quicker. It seems more based on their performance.

I kind of like that, but then again I don't. Inflating stats at the minor league level doesn't necessarily mean a Triple A player should be any better than what he actually is. This is also the same for a Double A/Triple A player playing at a huge ball park. I know some of the minor league parks are huge.

I also have guys like Jon Singleton who have done just fine his first few years and has a respectable OPS hovering around 780-800 in his 3rd year, but his potential dropped to a C? What the heck? Did I call him up too early? Was this pre-determined? Is it better to let them sit in the minors and inflate their stats to gain confidence? I don't think players like George Springer and Jon Singleton should have their potential drop after 2 years, because they didn't post 900+ OPS's. Also do raw statistics like RBI's, Runs, hits, etc. count towards progression? If so that is silly too.

Just a few gripes of mine...I know in real life how these things work, but in the game they aren't really described. I guess I am complaining more about potential fluctuating after the draft than scouting itself.
I don't think anybody other than the devs knows what has been done to progression. There were a vocal minority who wanted it to be random and it appears they won the debate. Same with increased chased pitches.

My preference would be for some of these changes to be optional. Standard or random progression - you choose. Normal cpu chased pitchers or extreme cpu chased pitches - you choose. Speaking for myself only, that would be far better than changing it for everybody to placate the squeaky wheel.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »