Home

Fielding....wth?

This is a discussion on Fielding....wth? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Fielding....wth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
So Molina should throw out every single runner in this situation? What's the cutoff with regards to ratings where it's ok for the runner to steal 2nd on Molina? 75 speed? 85 speed? 95 speed?

You also failed to mention the runner's steal ability.
Steal ability was very low as I recall. On a 95 mph fastball high strike with Molina catching, I say 66 speed does not steal unless Molina throws it away or just plain errant throw. Hey, I had Trout get caught stealing twice in the same game by a catcher with very poor arm ratings--one pitch being a low 80's changeup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Well if you did indeed pick Josh Johnson's delivery that's probably the issue, he has a brutally long delivery from the stretch.

Runners have successfully stolen 90% (plus) of the time off him throughout his career.
Did he have Molina as catcher? Considering Molina's caught stealing ratio, are you saying all the pitchers in that scenario had fast delivery from stretch? Do slow runners like 66 speed even try to steal on Molina? How rare is that?!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #66

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Did he have Molina as catcher? Considering Molina's caught stealing ratio, are you saying all the pitchers in that scenario had fast delivery from stretch? Do slow runners like 66 speed even try to steal on Molina? How rare is that?!
Not saying anything, damn man just giving suggestions about your complaint.

Have fun, you're like the kids I used to play strat o matic with before there were video games that would throw the board off the table when things didn't go their way be "it didn't make sense."
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #67
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

That's like a guy with low contact getting a hit off a guy who is a dominant pitcher with great H/9. It happens. I'm sure if that guy stole he'd be thrown out the large majority

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #68
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Some how I doubt it was outside and high, and would also likely guess that he just pitched as soon as he could without it being a balk, if he even has balks on. I don't have a big problem with runners stealing, because I don't quick pitch, but if you do quick pitch, cpu runners tend to get a perfect jump and can even be tough to throw out even in a good throwing situation, High outside fastball. Which is precisely why I do not quick pitch anymore because I was burned on it a few times. I altered my approach to the plate with a runner on 1st who is at least an average base runner and might take off. But this guy doesn't seem to want to take advice. And even with everything in your favor, there is till the chance your throw is on the shortstop side of the bag, and the tag is late because of it. That is just the way it is sometimes.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #69
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya boy hollywud
Speaking of fielding I would really like some help with throwing guys out who are trying to steal 2nd base. I'm in a franchise as the St. Louis Cardinals and when I play the CPU there are guys who have 75 speed who Molina cannot throw out. I'm more than willing to accept user error on my part, I just do not know what I'm doing wrong. IMO, I shouldn't have to throw pitchouts in order to stop a guy from stealing on the best defensive player in the game (Molina).

I'll throw a fastball strike and hold the triangle button to throw to second with Molina and 8 times out of 10 the guy is able to steal on me. This is my first time playing The Show (came from the xbox 360) so it's very possible that this is an error on my part. With all other types of fielding their is that red meter under the players feet to indicate throw strength, but I noticed this is not the case when a catcher is attempting to throw a base stealer out.

Can anybody give me some detailed tips on how to throw someone out at 2nd base who is trying to steal on me? Or point me in the direction of a video tutorial to help or anything.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Not saying anything, damn man just giving suggestions about your complaint.

Have fun, you're like the kids I used to play strat o matic with before there were video games that would throw the board off the table when things didn't go their way be "it didn't make sense."
Quote:
That's like a guy with low contact getting a hit off a guy who is a dominant pitcher with great H/9. It happens. I'm sure if that guy stole he'd be thrown out the large majority
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Some how I doubt it was outside and high, and would also likely guess that he just pitched as soon as he could without it being a balk, if he even has balks on. I don't have a big problem with runners stealing, because I don't quick pitch, but if you do quick pitch, cpu runners tend to get a perfect jump and can even be tough to throw out even in a good throwing situation, High outside fastball. Which is precisely why I do not quick pitch anymore because I was burned on it a few times. I altered my approach to the plate with a runner on 1st who is at least an average base runner and might take off. But this guy doesn't seem to want to take advice. And even with everything in your favor, there is till the chance your throw is on the shortstop side of the bag, and the tag is late because of it. That is just the way it is sometimes.
If you guys want to help someone, help ya boy hollywud.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #70
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I'm just going to stop responding to your posts and questions. I don't think your views are reasonable and you don't take any of the feedback given in the threads. It's pointless to attempt to have a discussion with you.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #71
MVP

Quote:
I'm just going to stop responding to your posts and questions. I don't think your views are reasonable and you don't take any of the feedback given in the threads. It's pointless to attempt to have a discussion with you.
Not a problem, and it's not my thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #72
Rookie

After reading the last few pages I have a better idea of what I should do. I need to check the runner at 1st to prevent him from take a lead on me. I also need to pitch out a lot more than I do when there is a serious threat to steal a base. I think I read somewhere that more often than not guys are able to steal bases, so the game does seem realistic based off stats. Here is a chart where you can change years as you please, but over the current year and last year there are teams who have 80+% of successful stolen bases: http://www.sportingcharts.com/mlb/st...rcentage/2014/

The biggest thing I realized is that just because Molina has an amazing fielding and arm rating doesn't mean he's going to throw guys out all the time. Based off stats, I should probably throw out 3 or 4 of every 10 runners if I'm on point. That is something I did not realize before. Thus, in that context, I don't have any issues anymore with catching runners stealing. Seems somewhat about right.

Thanks for all the help guys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »