Home

Does anyone use the DH in the NL?

This is a discussion on Does anyone use the DH in the NL? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #25
Pro

dbacks_Nation's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Does anyone use the DH in the NL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Bill James argued it was tougher to manage in the AL, because the choices aren't automatic or common sense (AKA pinch hitting when your pitcher comes up thus forcing you to choose someone else in the pen). You also see more 4-5 out saves in the AL than you do in the NL.

I don't necessarily agree with that, but it is something to consider. NL just seems more annoying to manage than anything. Most of the moves done in the NL are what most fans would do and what managers are expected to do. There isn't much variety. Every manager pretty much does the same thing with no innovation or outside the box thinking.

AL you have more flexibility, but at the same time managers have a bit more choices on how to allocate their innings among their relievers.

For the little outcome of wins/losses managers do have with their respected teams, managing the bullpen is probably the only significant tangible asset they can bring to their ball club. This goes out the window when virtually every NL manager does the same thing with their bullpen. But let's be honest....managing a baseball team is not that difficult compared to other sports like Basketball, Hockey, Football, Soccer, etc nor do managers have that much effect on if their teams win or lose. In fact, statistics have shown that no manager has actually added win value to their respective ball club. There are just managers who manage to screw it up less than other managers.

Sorry for the random rant...just read "Baseball between the numbers".
How can you say that with a St. Louis avatar? Were you asleep the entire time you had LaRussa as a manager?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 04:55 AM   #26
Rookie

moth to a flame's Arena

OVR: 1

A baseball manager is the most overrated position in all of sports. They have very minimal affect on the outcome of a game or over the course of a season. Look up Neil Paine's study.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #27
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Yes and I read his books. I agree he is a good motivator but he was highly overrated with his in game tactics, as most managers are. I am also not biased...I don't care which team I follow. I use statistics and logic to guide my opinions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Youtube
Old 06-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth to a flame
That's not strategy. That's choosing the lesser of two evils. Have a crappy hitter hit, or have a lesser pitcher pitch.
That seems like a diluted view of it, but hey, if it pleases you, go for it.

Personally, I dislike the DH because of how it affects the strategy of the game.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacks_Nation
Let's not beat this dead horse.
It is a discussion on the DH. They should share their opinions.

Why even post if this is what you feel; move on; don't read; etc., etc.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #30
Rookie

Hoosierdaddy76's Arena

No. I've come to terms with using a DH while playing with an AL team, but would never even consider using a DH in the NL. I like being forced to make decisions as to whether I should leave a pitcher in to hit who has a couple of innings left or to take a chance on a red-hot, pinch-hitter who may blow the game wide open. Sometimes, these decisions can pay off or they can come back to bite you in yer ***, which makes me feel as though I'm actually having more of an effect on the outcome of the game as a manager.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »