Home

Does anyone use the DH in the NL?

This is a discussion on Does anyone use the DH in the NL? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14
Does anyone use the DH in the NL?

Is the NL going the route of the DH an eventuality? I know there's been talk, off and on, about the topic.

Reason being, I am about to start my franchise. I prefer the NL in general, but would much prefer to use a DH, as opposed to hitting with my pitcher. I realize the NL brand of baseball requires more strategy and whatnot. However, sometimes, this game can lack offense, and I would like to inject some by using the DH in the National League. Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Does anyone use the DH in the NL?

It is your world and using a DH in the NL might help to separate reality from your own little MLB:TS digital world.

Personally, I played with an AL team 2 years ago and wanted to play with NL last year. I went to an AL team this year again so I wouldn't have to worry about managment mistakes as much (I'd get into the interface and forget to warm up pitchers, for instance) but will enjoy the intraleague games when they come. I do miss choices like whether to pitch hit for your pitcher when you might get more than another inning out of him, they have a runner in scoring position...do I pitch to the #8 hitter so the pitcher leads off next inning if successful or prevent the run now via IBB?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

First thing I do when I start a Franchise or Season is turn OFF the DH. It is not simply a case of pitchers batting, it changes the structure of the entire game. Personally, I think the DH is pathetic, and I also wish this game had a "coaches slider" option, because all the pitchers do is bunt. It is not always the case. I almost never bunt, and often get base hits. "most you can expect from your pitcher..." please, I have hit 1 HR with a pitcher in my MLB The Show career.

Man, do I hate the DH.

(a team was down 7 to 0, pitcher was replaced from injury, and in his first at-bat he bunts with a runner on 1st and 1 out in the 4th inning; talk about giving away an out...this game's AI lends to having a DH, but I still won't do it...7 to 0 and instead of pinch hitting or trying for a hit, they bunt; I just don't see that happening in real life)

Last edited by Billy...a_kid; 06-13-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy...a_kid
First thing I do when I start a Franchise or Season is turn OFF the DH. It is not simply a case of pitchers batting, it changes the structure of the entire game. Personally, I think the DH is pathetic, and I also wish this game had a "coaches slider" option, because all the pitchers do is bunt. It is not always the case. I almost never bunt, and often get base hits. "most you can expect from your pitcher..." please, I have hit 1 HR with a pitcher in my MLB The Show career.

Man, do I hate the DH.

(a team was down 7 to 0, pitcher was replaced from injury, and in his first at-bat he bunts with a runner on 1st and 1 out in the 4th inning; talk about giving away an out...this game's AI lends to having a DH, but I still won't do it...7 to 0 and instead of pinch hitting or trying for a hit, they bunt; I just don't see that happening in real life)
You want the pitcher to hit into a double play? I'd probably bunt too and give my lead off hitter a chance to get that runner from second home. If he just entered the game, why would they burn through the bullpen by PHing already down 7 runs?
Old 06-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
MVP

BigBoi23's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eF 5ive
You want the pitcher to hit into a double play? I'd probably bunt too and give my lead off hitter a chance to get that runner from second home. If he just entered the game, why would they burn through the bullpen by PHing already down 7 runs?
Moneyball and studies have gotten into this...a large percentage of pitchers are better off swinging away than bunting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I would never turn the DH off in the NL because it's totally against the history of baseball. It's really weird to use the Astros with a DH.

I don't care what studies say: pitcher up runner on 1st or 2nd and 0 outs I'm bunting every single time.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14

Best guess. Five years from now. Is the NL using a DH? Or, are pitchers still hitting?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

5 years from now, NO, I don't think there will be a NL DH. I honestly do think there are too many purists in baseball to ever accept the entire sport to go with the DH.

Personally, I think the DH is a travesty to the game. That is just me personally, but I really do think the ENTIRE structure of the game gets changed. If you are going to do that nonsense, then you might as well have 9 players play defense, and 9 players play offense, regardless of whether or not it is the same 9 people. Then you have more football than baseball.

What about Mark Belanger? Coudn't hit well at all, but plays SS. Should he have a DH? The entire concept is silly.

Double switches, bullpens, bunting (or hitting), pinch-hit or stay with pitcher. No question, the entire game changes from a structural standpoint. I've heard LaRussa and Torre (+ many others) talk about it being so much more fun managing in the NL than the AL.

NL is baseball, AL is mashball. Same game, though totally different.

Dude who would bunt 'everytime', I'd love to play against you. You desire to give me outs, I will take them.

Last edited by Billy...a_kid; 06-13-2014 at 07:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »