Home

Chased pitches - runs per game

This is a discussion on Chased pitches - runs per game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Chased pitches - runs per game

To answer questions...

• This is manage mode. Difficulty doesn't matter.

• I combined several franchises, all on default sliders with umpires off. I have no issued with nomo and didn't mention him in my op but since someone else did, he used random umpires which raises questions about his results. Again, I used default sliders and accurate strike zones. Random strike zones to determine chased pitches would be the equivalent of driving a variety of Ford model vehicles to determine gas mileage and combining all the data into one number.

• Standard pitching rotations. Rosters were those for opening day live update for all 30 MLB teams.

• Chased pitches can be found in the pitcher analysis screen. Data was documented at the end of each game for both teams.

I don't know what percentage of games in MLB have one team scoring 1 or fewer runs but I'd bet my next retirement check it isn't 55%. I believe in 2013 6% of mlb games were shutouts, not 19%. It isn't just number of chased pitches per game, it is 1 hit per game on a chased pitch. 14 outs a game, 1 hit a game skews the game in the direction of low scores.

This has been my favorite game for years and gameplay was fantastic until this year. If a dev could tell me what sliders to adjust to make the game play like it did last year I'd be happy.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
To answer questions...

• This is manage mode. Difficulty doesn't matter.

• I combined several franchises, all on default sliders with umpires off. I have no issued with nomo and didn't mention him in my op but since someone else did, he used random umpires which raises questions about his results. Again, I used default sliders and accurate strike zones. Random strike zones to determine chased pitches would be the equivalent of driving a variety of Ford model vehicles to determine gas mileage and combining all the data into one number.

• Standard pitching rotations. Rosters were those for opening day live update for all 30 MLB teams.

• Chased pitches can be found in the pitcher analysis screen. Data was documented at the end of each game for both teams.

I don't know what percentage of games in MLB have one team scoring 1 or fewer runs but I'd bet my next retirement check it isn't 55%. I believe in 2013 6% of mlb games were shutouts, not 19%. It isn't just number of chased pitches per game, it is 1 hit per game on a chased pitch. 14 outs a game, 1 hit a game skews the game in the direction of low scores.

This has been my favorite game for years and gameplay was fantastic until this year. If a dev could tell me what sliders to adjust to make the game play like it did last year I'd be happy.
I don't know about the pure number of chased pitches (I don't see very many by the CPU on HOF pitching), but I will agree that the quality of contact on pitches out of the zone needs to be adjusted.

You will see batters in real life every game hit the ball hard consistently on pitches out of the zone (easy to see when broadcasts put the strike zone up for you ala ESPN Sunday Night Baseball). This is not replicated very well at all in The Show, which is why I think hitting is so difficult for so many people. It's very hard for a human to tell when a pitch is going to be just out of the zone or on the corner, and being unable to make solid contact on those pitches, I believe, is a big cause for the lack of run production in the game (including only having a handful of players each year bat over .300 in franchise seasons).

Watch me play video games
Old 06-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

If this is as detailed as you are going to get with your testing criteria and results then this topic is an absolute waste of time if veiled under the pretense that you have hard data.

A thread asking the community their opinion on chased pitches and run per game averages would have sufficed. But this thread is based on a pretense that you've actually run a test although you've presented no testing pattern or data for others to analyze.

Again, could you please share your data (what teams, what pitchers, how games were rotated, all of the data you collected and not just your conclusions on the data you collected, etc)?

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 06-20-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2014, 11:53 PM   #12
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Look for Nomo's in the vault or the last gen sliders forum (he had PS3 & 4 copies). Manage only mode sliders with a lot of testing and data collection. Check out the thread. Tessl, you will be happy.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I don't know about the pure number of chased pitches (I don't see very many by the CPU on HOF pitching), but I will agree that the quality of contact on pitches out of the zone needs to be adjusted.

You will see batters in real life every game hit the ball hard consistently on pitches out of the zone (easy to see when broadcasts put the strike zone up for you ala ESPN Sunday Night Baseball). This is not replicated very well at all in The Show, which is why I think hitting is so difficult for so many people. It's very hard for a human to tell when a pitch is going to be just out of the zone or on the corner, and being unable to make solid contact on those pitches, I believe, is a big cause for the lack of run production in the game (including only having a handful of players each year bat over .300 in franchise seasons).
Manage mode. Difficulty is irrelevant.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
If this is as detailed as you are going to get with your testing criteria and results then this topic is an absolute waste of time if veiled under the pretense that you have hard data.

A thread asking the community their opinion on chased pitches and run per game averages would have sufficed. But this thread is based on a pretense that you've actually run a test although you've presented no testing pattern or data for others to analyze.

Again, could you please share your data (what teams, what pitchers, how games were rotated, all of the data you collected and not just your conclusions on the data you collected, etc)?
It would be a waste of time asking the community because I doubt anybody else had played 100 games in manage mode with default sliders and umpires off.

55% of the time a team scored 1 run or less. 19% of games were shutouts. That is hard data. If you doubt me, start a franchise using any team or teams you like. Put it on default sliders and umpires off. Play 100 games. Get back to me with your results.

I guarantee you no MLB in 2014 for the first 100 games of the season regardless of pitchers will have runs scored as pathetic as that.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

So basically this is a MOM issue, not an issue for people who play their games. The one guy who might have some insight is Knight as I believe he's also a MOM guy.

Hopefully they address it for you in a patch

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
Look for Nomo's in the vault or the last gen sliders forum (he had PS3 & 4 copies). Manage only mode sliders with a lot of testing and data collection. Check out the thread. Tessl, you will be happy.
Nomo is one of the people I disagreed with when he and a vocal minority of others were pressuring the devs to change gameplay for this year's version of the game because I thought mlbts13 gameplay was excellent.

If he has figured out how to return the game to last year's gameplay I will take a look at it but I'm tempted to quit playing until the patch, and if it is still broken to find another game until mlbts15.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »