Home

Possible Solution to Flawed Trade Logic

This is a discussion on Possible Solution to Flawed Trade Logic within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Possible Solution to Flawed Trade Logic

MLB The Show still has pretty terrible trade logic, in an otherwise great game. It is not totally hopeless, however. There is one feature I think they could add to fix it. To bring another game into the conversation, NHL 14 has pretty good trade logic, and it is tough as nails to pry a superstar from the grips of an AI controlled team, if anything you have to overpay.

The Show should consider taking a page out of NHL's book. I would love it if The Show introduced a 'Trade Value' meter for each player. It would be based on four factors, age, position, overall and potential. Nevertheless, in order to trade for a player, lets use Giancarlo Stanton as an example. He would probably have close to max trade value. In order to complete the trade the players involved would have to match or exceed his value. Same for CPU to CPU trades. The value in those trades should always match up, or the "Buyer" slightly overpaying. Also, trade value on prospects should never be higher than say quarter or half a bar, so you wont see one prospect traded for a stud like Trout. If The Show were to also add a GM relationship feature as well, that would be a plus.

So, what do you guys think? Would a "Trade value" system work in The Show as it does in NHL? It's not really an accomplishment to complete a trade in The Show, since the AI is way too easy to rip off. Whereas, you get a sense of accomplishment for completing that big blockbuster in NHL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Rookie

tcsox11's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Possible Solution to Flawed Trade Logic

I like the idea, buy I think that in future versions of The Show they should add the ability to "eat" money in trades.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

It's also difficulty to score top prospects, at least in my experience on NHL. Last year I tried to trade for Zachary Fucale (goalie prospect from Montreal) but nothing other than including Toews or Kane would get him. And I obviously wasn't willing to do that.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 07-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
The Show should consider taking a page out of NHL's book. I would love it if The Show introduced a 'Trade Value' meter for each player. It would be based on four factors, age, position, overall and potential. Nevertheless, in order to trade for a player, lets use Giancarlo Stanton as an example. He would probably have close to max trade value. In order to complete the trade the players involved would have to match or exceed his value. Same for CPU to CPU trades. The value in those trades should always match up, or the "Buyer" slightly overpaying. Also, trade value on prospects should never be higher than say quarter or half a bar, so you wont see one prospect traded for a stud like Trout. If The Show were to also add a GM relationship feature as well, that would be a plus.
If it's done well, I'm all for it.

If even top prospects are only half-bar, and I'm assuming solid major leaguers are also around there - would we see a Baez for one solid major leaguer type deals?

I would think Baez would need more than that. Maybe 2/3 full or such. Guys like Trout should probably just be flagged "untouchable" and if they are dealt, the value would be insane and any player flagged "untouchable" isn't offered on by the CPU (both CPU/CPU trades and with the User).

I do hope it would consider more than OVR, though. I like your GM relationship idea and would like to see GM valuation (i.e. some GMs/organizations value certain types of players, etc), so that individual ratings get into the mix, not just seeing all 70 OVR players as the same because they all have 70 OVR. Each of those guys could have a very different skill profile.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Pro

Bull_Market's Arena

OVR: 8

Looks like 30 team control will have to suffice for now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 24

I'd be a bit disappointed if such a system was not already in The Show, behind the scenes. I'd wager that those are the four factors upon which player value is already calculated.

I think to really improve things, a fifth metric would need to be introduced. Like you say, a big part of the problem is that prospects are rated wayyyyyyyyy too highly. Not enough is done to differentiate between Giancarlo Stanton's' 91 overall rating, and some random prospect's high potential rating, when the prospect hasn't even begun developing his ratings to a major league level. Quality hitting also needs to be rated higher, and fielding, less.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Or the need another team has for the position you (or another team) is willing to give up in the deal.

I hate when an AI controlled team will deal a player at a position they are already then at or agree to bring in another player that they obviously don't need or have a use for.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
Or the need another team has for the position you (or another team) is willing to give up in the deal.

I hate when an AI controlled team will deal a player at a position they are already then at or agree to bring in another player that they obviously don't need or have a use for.
Yeah that's another thing. I mean you can always use more pitchers but when the Mets trade for a starting CF, or the Tampa Rays trade for a starting 3B, of course I'm going to scratch my head.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »