Home

cpu bullpen usage

This is a discussion on cpu bullpen usage within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
cpu bullpen usage

I'm still on the old PS3, but I'm sure to move up a console some day, and it will be much more likely if things like this were to be fixed.

I'll start off by saying this is the best Show yet, and that's saying a lot. I'm playing very close to default sliders and getting great and varied results. I follow real life transactions in season mode, so props to cpu roster control, and I set lineups the way I want for the cpu using the two controller method, entering sportscast sim, setting the lineups, and then backing out to simulate.

The one thing I can't control is how the cpu uses it's bullpen. Middle relievers going 2+ innings on a regular basis, long relievers ONLY pitching in blowouts, closers ONLY pitching in save situations, and I'm not quite sure what the exact parameters for using the setup men are. I won't even get into matchups.

At this point I am rotating guys who aren't getting work into different spots in the bullpen to try and even things out, but I dream of the day when I no longer have to babysit the Show cpu bullpens.

Maybe an overhaul to the pitcher stamina system that includes player roles, with an added equation for days off/needs work? This could also provide a way to stretch relievers into starters, which does happen from time to time in baseball.

Any further thoughts or ideas on cpu bullpen usage would be more than welcome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: cpu bullpen usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_riot
I'm still on the old PS3, but I'm sure to move up a console some day, and it will be much more likely if things like this were to be fixed.

I'll start off by saying this is the best Show yet, and that's saying a lot. I'm playing very close to default sliders and getting great and varied results. I follow real life transactions in season mode, so props to cpu roster control, and I set lineups the way I want for the cpu using the two controller method, entering sportscast sim, setting the lineups, and then backing out to simulate.

The one thing I can't control is how the cpu uses it's bullpen. Middle relievers going 2+ innings on a regular basis, long relievers ONLY pitching in blowouts, closers ONLY pitching in save situations, and I'm not quite sure what the exact parameters for using the setup men are. I won't even get into matchups.

At this point I am rotating guys who aren't getting work into different spots in the bullpen to try and even things out, but I dream of the day when I no longer have to babysit the Show cpu bullpens.

Maybe an overhaul to the pitcher stamina system that includes player roles, with an added equation for days off/needs work? This could also provide a way to stretch relievers into starters, which does happen from time to time in baseball.

Any further thoughts or ideas on cpu bullpen usage would be more than welcome.
I think you bring up some good points. I have also found that if you fast foward (sim) while playing, the relievers tend to stay in longer because the bar doesn't lower as fast.

I would like to see more varied situations and definitely would welcome better AI as far as matchups are concerned. It bugs me when a lefty is brought in... gives up one hit to a righty, and then the AI brings in a righty when there are 3 lefties in a row coming up.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: cpu bullpen usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf2005
I would like to see more varied situations and definitely would welcome better AI as far as matchups are concerned. It bugs me when a lefty is brought in... gives up one hit to a righty, and then the AI brings in a righty when there are 3 lefties in a row coming up.
I agree with you on this point. I see it a lot in my RTTS where the team's supposed "bullpen anchor," set-up man, or closer is performing absolutely horrible (ex. "anchor" was a 1-3, 5.48 ERA and 7 BSV, set-up was 2-6, 6.92 and 8 BSV, and closer pulled a "Valverde" in either blowing 3-4 saves in a row or making the save but loading the bases or making it a 1-run game in the process) and there is no shuffling in the bullpen. I've seen managers in real life shuffle the order just to let struggling relievers work in a different situation (like the closer moving to a non-save opportunities or set-up to be more of a middle-inning reliever).

Also, I've seen it where my set-up reliever is moved into a spot-start when a starter has a day-to-day injury instead of using a long reliever or the extra starter some teams carry. In one RTTS, J.J. Putz started twice instead of using either Arroyo or Garland (both starters being used in long relief). In another RTTS, Junichi Tazawa is starting while Peavy is on the 15-day DL while there is a 6th starter in long relief.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »