Home

Do you keep playing if you are being blown out early?

This is a discussion on Do you keep playing if you are being blown out early? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Do you keep playing if you are being blown out early?

I was down 7-2 as the Cubs in my franchise, playing Pittsburgh. It was late innings, the 7th I believe and I had based loaded with 1 out. David Ortiz steps in for me and grand slam, down 7-6. Next inning I gave up 2 more runs because of a cheap bunt and ended up losing 9-6 but it proved that comebacks do happen and it only takes one good inning.

Btw, the bunting logic sucks in the PS3 version. The CPU easily breaks up a no-hitter by laying down an unexpected bunt nearly every game.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

I had a situation like this last night. Playing as the A's against the White Sox and I was down 6-0 early because Sonny Gray had a horrible 2nd inning. I usually check out a bit in these situations, but Gray managed to gut out 3 more innings without letting up another run and Jose Quintana couldn't find the strikezone. Aided by a bunch of walks, I slowly began to chip away.

A 2-run HR by Cespedes got it to 6-4, and after a bases loaded walk I was only down by one. An inning or two later Moss went deep for the 11th time of the season and gave me a 8-6 lead, which ended up being the final score (I finished with 10 walks!).

I normally play out blowouts anyway, but it's those kinds of games that keep me motivated.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #19
MVP

nick_sr's Arena

OVR: 4

nope. 5 run lead I sim
Old 07-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbyrask
I was down 7-2 as the Cubs in my franchise, playing Pittsburgh. It was late innings, the 7th I believe and I had based loaded with 1 out. David Ortiz steps in for me and grand slam, down 7-6. Next inning I gave up 2 more runs because of a cheap bunt and ended up losing 9-6 but it proved that comebacks do happen and it only takes one good inning.

Btw, the bunting logic sucks in the PS3 version. The CPU easily breaks up a no-hitter by laying down an unexpected bunt nearly every game.
Don't feel bad it sucks in the ps4 version also.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 27

I just lost back-to-back games with the Phillies against the Reds. First game was 12-5 and the next game I lost was 13-3. Talk about brutal.

Last edited by PhilliesFan13; 07-03-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #22
Rookie

How anyone could even think of NOT playing it out is beyond me. That is baseball. Best team loses at least 54, worst team wins at least 54, and the 54 in the middle are what defines your team.

I remember seeing a picture of a game, I think from the 50's, where it was in Pittsburgh, and the Pirates were beating the Dodgers something like 9-1. Then, the score board shows 11 runs scored with only 1 out in the top of the 9th for Brooklyn. By my account, that would make it 12-9, Dodgers.

Do you really think in the bottom of the 8th, being down by 8 runs and in Pittsburgh, anyone on that Dodger team thought victory would happen. That is what makes this game the best.

Never (NEVER!) is a team completely out of a game. 48-7 with 0:08 seconds on the clock means a football team lost. There is no physical way to run that fast to score what you need in the time left. Baseball could be 13-1, 2 outs in the 9th and you win. I've seen examples happen like that.

You must beat the opponent, not let a clock decide their fate! Never sim, small chance, but there is (ALWAYS!) a chance of winning.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #23
Pro

Bull_Market's Arena

OVR: 8

Do you keep playing when you're up big?
Old 07-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
Rookie

Dwenny's Arena

I used to sim the rest after trailing by 7 or more runs until one game I actually won. It felt like a cheap win, I never did again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »