Home
View Poll Results: How should players be announced on fan-made rosters when name is absent from database
Hearing the players number said out loud 2 66.67%
Hearing an incorrect (but somewhat similiar) version of their name 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Names

I don't start that many threads now-a-days, but I just want to know what others feel about this.

Using names that are not the person who is in the game drives me crazy. I cannot think of some of the horrid ones right now, but playing the 94 remake Mark Lemke was called Mark Lackey, and 'Neon' Deion Sanders was called Devon Sanders.

WHY? These are not the names of the people! Aside from both names having an L beginning and a "K" in there, they are NOT the same. Lackey DOES NOT equal Lemke. To be honest, it sounds moronic to have Mark Lemke come to the plate and have him announced wrongly as someone named Lackey.

Or to have Deion come up and here, "Now at bat, Devon Sanders."
IT ISN'T HIS NAME.

If people want it that way, more power to them, but when things are done that are shared publicly, I don't see the point of making something wrong. I have heard so many ridiculous "parodies" of names used in made rosters, to be honest it seems pretty insulting to the player who is being called something else.

You know who it is, so why is it so bad hearing, "Now at bat, the second baseman, number 20." To hear something that is slightly similar, but clearly wrong is, well, wrong to me.

Last edited by Billy...a_kid; 07-03-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Pr*

Joey's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Names

If they're horribly wrong then no, I don't like to hear it. But if it sounds pretty similar I'd rather they said a name than didn't.

What REALLY isn't cool though is the fact you mentioned a roster specifically and called it moronic. You could have stated your case without calling someone out. Good roster sets are hard work, they take tons of time and, although people could keep their work to themselves, they choose to share them to the public. The '94 set is a good roster set. No need to badmouth a decision you disagree with. Your point could have been made without that.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I'd prefer the number, unless there's a name that's pronounced very close and hard to tell (you wouldn't know unless you made/edited the player).

I can understand why folks do it, though. Hearing a number said isn't like a broadcast and, from the few players I have grabbed from the vault, it's close enough to where I can understand why they chose it, etc. If it's close, I think of it as an alternate pronunciation, etc.

Until SCEA gives us a system where we can "teach" digital Matt V. how to say names (which would be awesome), it is what it is.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #4

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Closing this because it's clear your only point was to bash a roster set and that is pretty childish.

Not a necessary thread topic. If you don't like a roster set, make one yourself that just uses numbers.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »