Home

All-Star Hitting Tips?

This is a discussion on All-Star Hitting Tips? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: All-Star Hitting Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Wait the AI moves the PCI in zone hitting? This is new to me. Doesn't that just make it timing hitting but with the option to override it?
It does not, but based on the relative timing between the pitch and your swing, the post-pitch PCI moves up or down slightly from where you placed it, to refelect whether you swung over (early) or under (late).
Old 07-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #10

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
It does not, but based on the relative timing between the pitch and your swing, the post-pitch PCI moves up or down slightly from where you placed it, to refelect whether you swung over (early) or under (late).
Okay thanks, that's what I thought it was.

THought I'd been living in a lie!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0

Sorry guess I should of been clearer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #12

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo
Sorry guess I should of been clearer.
But for clarification purposes, the OP should understand that the AI does not adjust the CPI at all for hitting purposes. If you do not touch the left stick, it stays in the middle of the zone throughout the swing.

You said it will be moved if you don't touch the left stick which isn't the case which is pretty important to know when trying to adjust to a new hitting mechanism.

Quote:
The AI will still move the PCI
Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #13
Rookie

TuffGnarl's Arena

OVR: 0

I switched back to zone. Immediately got a hit on the next pitch. I've had a couple of games without hits but I'm making contact with a lot more pitches and I even had a three hit game.

I'll definitely keep it this way until I've played a decent sample of games. My batting average is at about .150 and rising haha, terrible but improving. I'm determined to master All-Star, hopefully the combination of zone and maybe the gradual growth of my players stats will help towards that goal.

Slightly off topic but how does free agency work in baseball? I heard somebody say that you're not eligible for free agency until you've played 6 years in the majors? So what happens if you're release before then and how does it apply to minor league baseball?

Thanks for all the input guys!

Last edited by TuffGnarl; 07-08-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #14

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFord
I switched back to zone. Immediately got a hit on the next pitch. I've had a couple of games without hits but I'm making contact with a lot more pitches and I even had a three hit game.

I'll definitely keep it this way until I've played a decent sample of games. My batting average is at about .150 and rising haha, terrible but improving. I'm determined to master All-Star, hopefully the combination of zone and maybe the gradual growth of my players stats will help towards that goal.

Slightly off topic but how does free agency work in baseball? I heard somebody say that you're not eligible for free agency until you've played 6 years in the majors? So what happens if you're release before then and how does it apply to minor league baseball?

Thanks for all the input guys!
This isn't the thread for that question and there are many other threads you can ask that in so please take this brief answer to it and if you have follow up questions either PM me or find a RTTS thread more appropriate for the question because I don't want to change the topic of the question at hand which doesn't have anything to do with this (despite the fact that you asked it).

I just don't want to change the subject because it's a good question that will apply to more people besides just you.

You have to make it through you arbitration years before being eligible for free agency.

If you WERE to get released you would then be considered a free agent but I'm not sure that happens very often if at all to RTTS players.

Last edited by kehlis; 07-08-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 24

As far as the PCI movement in Zone is concerned, nomo is correct. The PCI will move on its own, up or down, depending on whether you're late or early on your swing. It will never move left or right, and the movement is easily overridden.

Regarding Zone vs Timing, I'm not one to tell people what to use. I'll just say that I prefer having complete control over every aspect of my video game experience. Thus, I use Zone, because it lets me do just that. If I want to hit a line drive, I square up on the ball. If I want to hit a grounder, I will keep the PCI high. I can wait longer and move the PCI to the right to intentionally foul off pitches, and so on. It's not easy, but this is what real baseball is like, so it's imperative, to me, to be able to imitate it as closely as possible. I just wouldn't enjoy hitting nearly as much if I didn't have this kind of control.

As far as your original question goes... If you want to improve your swing timing, try holding your thumb (or whatever finger you use) further away from the swing button. I do this and it works well. I've recommended it to a few other users on this board and it has worked for them, too. By holding your finger further away, you are forcibly increasing the delay before you swing. This decreases your chance of swinging early. It also gives you more time to think about the pitch, and opt to not swing at all, without being at the mercy of the game's check swing system, which we all know, is not very friendly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #16

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
As far as the PCI movement in Zone is concerned, nomo is correct. The PCI will move on its own, up or down, depending on whether you're late or early on your swing.
Unless I misunderstand him that's not what he said though.

The PCI does not move at all during the swing and therefore does not affect anything during the swing.

It reacts to the timing of the swing and may change during the post swing feedback based on timing but that is completely different than actually affecting the swing as it happens in real time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I said so does the AI PCI change and he said that it does not.

I'm sure he can clarify but the way I've understood zone hitting since the inception of this game is that it is reliant on user input and has zero AI involvement (and I can post my batting stats as that would probably back that up )

The way I interpret it is that the trajectory of the swing and the timing of it can change where it ends up in the zone thus changing the API as final feedback but that doesn't mean the AI changed it since it was still determined by the manual swing.

Yes, long run on sentence, but it's bedtime for me.

Last edited by kehlis; 07-09-2014 at 12:58 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »