Home

All-Star, zone hitters.

This is a discussion on All-Star, zone hitters. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
All-Star, zone hitters.

I've mentioned this in a couple of posts before but I wanted to get a more general feel about how well some of you guys hit. I play as the Cubs and I'm currently dead last in the league in team average at a laughable mark of .227.

I use zone hitting, and I play on default All-Star (minus a lower pitch speed).

I feel like the reason I do so poorly at the plate is because number one, I'm the Cubs, and number two I'm just not that good at hitting and recognizing pitches. Over time as I continue to improve and as I get better players I'm assuming my team batting average will rise as well.

It would just give me some peace of mind to know that eventually, through practice and having a better team, I will not sit dead last in the league in batting average.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2014, 02:09 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: All-Star, zone hitters.

I can't really say this is ur issue but cerainly could be....you need to figure out who u can hit/pitch with and who u cant hit/pitch with.for instance I absolutely cannot hit with Adrian Beltre...But omg I can rake with a Ryder Jones who is sumwhere around a 50 overall and has no business starting in the MLB at 20 years old....I can't pitch with King Felix but am lights out with Trevor May. U might very well have this figured out and built ur team around this but say u have Rizzo but hit .220 with him then u need to get him outta there.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

Oldie but goodie.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...iled-read.html
Old 07-11-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

The most frustrating thing, as I've said in previous posts is that I cannot, no matter what, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, lay off the high fastball. I will sit there and literally tell myself, "don't swing at the high fastball, don't swing at the high fastballl." And.... I swing at a high fastball above my head for a strikeout.

I really miss the MVP hitting engine. With zone you're basically trying to move a circle to where the pitch is. With timing, that just seems to simplistic because you don't do anything to swing in any direction.

I'll just keep on keeping on I guess. Down to .226 for the year.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 07-11-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

A recent trend in MLB is that pitching dominance, so .226 while low isn't unrealistically low. The real-life Cubs are hitting .236, but the Padres is hitting .216... which is quite shockingly low... but it is possible even in real life.

I'd look at the bright side...

You can actually give yourself some edge by moving some sliders to your favor (perhaps just a click up on Contact, etc.) and your offense should go up a bit, to a more realistic range.

I like hitting in this game and play **** load of games that I've improved so much over past two years or so. Now my hitting is most realistic when the difficulty is between HoF and Legend (I like using max pitch speed). I dread the thought of reaching Legend and no longer be able to enjoy the game realistically... that's a worse problem to have when you enjoy something.

Also, laying off high fastball is difficult but certainly doable if you consciously take more pitches. I used to have the same issue and also checked swing all the time, but once I made a conscious effort to lay off A LOT of pitches, my discipline and pitch recognition vastly improved.

I'd just enjoy the process of improving. It's a difficult game, but that's why the game remains enjoyable for me. And it's also fun to think of why it is so difficult to lay off high fastball. Down with two strikes, it is a difficult pitch to lay off even in real life. And we have the same issue in a video game... how should that be when it's just a video game?? It's very interesting how some aspects of this game is very reminiscent of real life. And once you figure out why it's hard in real life, you'd also figure out why it's hard in the game as well. I like that depth in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Rookie

coopsta007's Arena

OVR: 6

I have used Zone hitting in MLB The Show for years, and I too struggled with getting hits. Laying off the fastball was extremely tough, but what really bugged me was that you had to aim well with the analog stick to get a solid hit. Lots of times, I would aim the stick in the right area, only to get a weak ground ball or harmless popup in return.

After watching a couple of videos on YouTube, and reading some threads on hitting, I tried switching to Zone w/ PCI on. Upon making this change, I became a more disciplined hitter, and have hit a lot better with the PCI on. From my point of view, contact has been better, my power numbers have gone up and overall, I have a higher amount of satisfaction at the plate. Even in Home Run Derby mode, I've hit farther home runs with the PCI on than when it was off, which seemed weird to me for some reason.

If your looking to increase your batting average, I strongly recommend switching to this hitting mode for a couple of games. I was pretty close to shelving MLB The Show, but since making this change, this game has worked its way back into my rotation.

Looking back at the PCI, the last time I used this type of hitting was when playing All-Star Baseball 2002 on my PS2...man that seems like it was ages ago...LOL.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Are you saying you play the game with the large yellow circle on (where you can actually see it during pitches)? If so, that's a no-go for me. I'll never do that. To each his own, not knocking it. But I can't do that.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Rookie

vinny_pizza's Arena

OVR: 2

I switched from analog to zone this year and love the challenge. I don't know my team average right now but I believe it was .250's last time I looked. I always start with the marker at the top of the zone slightly off to the side where the pitcher releases from. For me it just helps me track the pitch better with my eyes and in turn I hit better. I tried moving it as the pitch came in and I was terrible, swinging at garbage. Moving with the pitch from the start keeps me more patient at the plate using zone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »