Home

Timing Hitting Power Swing : are you guys seeing solid exta base hits ??

This is a discussion on Timing Hitting Power Swing : are you guys seeing solid exta base hits ?? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Timing Hitting Power Swing : are you guys seeing solid exta base hits ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I put contact & timing at 7 for me (All-Star). I definitely don't find it TOO easy at all. It's still challenging for my skill level.

My exact contact and timing values I used last year.

This year I'm at 8 and 6.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #18
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsDream
Hey guys. I just started a franchise with the Reds.I play on allstar level. Im not the best hitter to begin with,but im trying. Im only getting 3,4 hits a game using X normal and O contact. I never really use power swing. Should I start to use Power on 2-0,2-1,3-1 counts with just my power hitters like Votto,Bruce ? Are you guys having any success with power swing,hard line drive gappers,homers ? How many times per game do you guys use power swing 1 - 5 ? 5 -10 ? I know power also increases pop-outs and strike outs...thanks for any help out there !!!
I have the success with it that I expect to. I've turned some singles into doubles, doubles into homers, and hits into strikes or outs. You have to be smart about when you use it so you don't do more harm than good, though. If I have a runner in scoring position, I don't need an extra base hit to score them so I do not use it then. I might think about using it when way ahead in the count and with the right kind of hitter. I do not use it on guys with big power ratings who are already strong enough to get it over the wall by themselves, there is no benefit. Especially if they are low plate vision guys (meaning they will whiff a lot). Adam Dunn is the most extreme example, Chris Davis comes to mind. I try to use it on guys with high plate vision and average 15-20 HR power as they will benefit the most. Guys like Yonder Alonso, Alejandro de Aza come to mind. As a matter of fact, de Aza hit one for me yesterday on a power swing putting a hanging curve into the RF seats for a solo HR with 2 outs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
For those that use timing hitting do u use any sliders ?
I use Nomo's sliders pretty much. I might have made a small adjustment here or there but his manage-only sliders fit with my classic pitching/timing hitting play.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #19
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
The Power Swing button is like Kim Kardashian. At first glance it might seem like a good idea, and its allure and temptation are easy to see. But you really do yourself more harm than good by touching it, and in the long run, you'll be better off if you just don't.
Can't disagree with any of this but the possibility of actually hitting it and the feeling you get when you do put good wood to it... well that temptation is almost too much pass on. Bless you, though, you are a stronger man than I...
Old 07-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm getting frustrated with doing Swing Influence up/pull and Power swing (analog) on a 1-0/2-1 fastball up in the zone and getting ground balls to the second baseman.

This is in RTTS (AA) and my power isn't fully developed (34/38 right now), but I'd rather see something like a short fly ball to the RF instead of this.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailben7
I'm getting frustrated with doing Swing Influence up/pull and Power swing (analog) on a 1-0/2-1 fastball up in the zone and getting ground balls to the second baseman.
Yeah - same here. Pitch up, looking for a fly ball (influenced), good timing so he didn't pull off or get jammed...and ground ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I only use the Power Swing when I have a powerful hitter up(Gattis, Freeman, Heyward, J Upton, and very rarely Chris Johnson). I only use it if I know a fastball is coming because that is what the swing is meant for and am generally up in the count. There are some occasions where Freeman is up, no one on and I just power swing the whole at bat. Other times in the same situation I will X swing every time.

It is more of a feeling and something you just learn how you're best with. I'd say for the most part it does exactly what I want with it and I will continue to use it, but it's not like I get an XBH every single time. This is baseball and my Power Swings are outs more often than not, but that's hitting in general.

Also, if you have a guy on first and are thinking I want to hit it hard and score him or avoid the double play, I would advise against the Power Swing. You're either hitting that ball hard in the outfield or hitting an easy double play ball. The game even says so in the in game manual/guide. If a guy has been throwing low all game/ at bat, don't Power Swing. That's hard ground ball city.

Learn the pitcher and his tendencies. Some gays I never Power Swing, others I use it every inning multiple times because it's fastball heaven or a high ball pitcher.

― Plato
Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #23
RTTS Junkie

BSUFAN's Arena

OVR: 4

I never use the power swing just the normal swing, everytime I used the power swing I always seem to get pop-ups so I don't use it.
St. Louis Cardinals
Chicago Blackhawks
Los Angeles Lakers

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »