Home

Stuggling to get Strikeouts

This is a discussion on Stuggling to get Strikeouts within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22
Stuggling to get Strikeouts

This seems to be the first year that I have encountered this problem. For the life of me I can't seem to strikeout opposing batters. The Highest amount I've gotten was 12 and that was one time. I've used a few different slider sets and I can't seem to fix this problem. Any one have a couple of tips or a solution?

I generally pitch batters the same way I have in past games and I never had a problem before.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Rookie

wolfpack23's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stuggling to get Strikeouts

How do you sequence your pitches? For example are you being predictable? By this I am referring to are you always starting guys off with first pitch fastballs or when throwing breaking balls are you getting in a fast/slow routine over multiple pitches.

I personally try to work both sides of the plate with my fastball early in the game. The second time through the lineup I tend to pitch backwards a little bit starting guys off with something offspeed. If you have a pitcher with a good change-up don't be afraid to double up on the pitch. Another thing that will help you pickup strikeouts in being able to change the sight line of the hitter. An example of this would be throwing back to back change-ups down in the zone then bringing something hard up and out of the zone.

Obviously every pitcher is going to be a bit different in how you pitch with them but I think the key for K's is pitch sequence and keeping the hitter off balance.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack23
How do you sequence your pitches? For example are you being predictable? By this I am referring to are you always starting guys off with first pitch fastballs or when throwing breaking balls are you getting in a fast/slow routine over multiple pitches.

I personally try to work both sides of the plate with my fastball early in the game. The second time through the lineup I tend to pitch backwards a little bit starting guys off with something offspeed. If you have a pitcher with a good change-up don't be afraid to double up on the pitch. Another thing that will help you pickup strikeouts in being able to change the sight line of the hitter. An example of this would be throwing back to back change-ups down in the zone then bringing something hard up and out of the zone.

Obviously every pitcher is going to be a bit different in how you pitch with them but I think the key for K's is pitch sequence and keeping the hitter off balance.
Maybe lack of variation is what's doing me in. I try to mix in more pitches but I ultimately get frustrated and revert to older tendencies. I'll shoot for mixing in more breaking pitches and offspeed stuff. Thanks for the tips

Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
Maybe lack of variation is what's doing me in. I try to mix in more pitches but I ultimately get frustrated and revert to older tendencies. I'll shoot for mixing in more breaking pitches and offspeed stuff. Thanks for the tips
With James Shields and Yordano Ventura. I can usually get about 9 on AVG. Ive been throwing way less FB this year. As long as the universal profile is right, My FB percentage extremely low. Cutter has taken over my life. (which is technically a FB so i assume the percentage thing is talking about 4SFB.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Rookie

wolfpack23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
No problem. Remember every pitcher is going to be different. Tommy Milone is going to be used differently then David Price. Just be conscious of what pitches you are throwing to certain hitters and mix it up the next time they come back up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
This seems to be the first year that I have encountered this problem. For the life of me I can't seem to strikeout opposing batters. The Highest amount I've gotten was 12 and that was one time. I've used a few different slider sets and I can't seem to fix this problem. Any one have a couple of tips or a solution?

I generally pitch batters the same way I have in past games and I never had a problem before.
@24, Who are playing with? Do they have K-type stuff? When you said 12K's in a game are talking about as a staff or just the SP? I play with the Braves. All-star pitching, using the meter. Teheran gets 7-8K per game. Medlen on the other hand 5-6K per game.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 AM   #7
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by decga
@24, Who are playing with? Do they have K-type stuff? When you said 12K's in a game are talking about as a staff or just the SP? I play with the Braves. All-star pitching, using the meter. Teheran gets 7-8K per game. Medlen on the other hand 5-6K per game.
Sorry about the lack of clarification. I meant strikeouts coming from a starter.I'm running a fantasy draft Franchise so the teams are jumbled. My 12 K game was with Jose Fernandez. I have Sonny Gray in my rotation but I was struggling to get things going. I was falling into deep counts and wasn't able to pitch effectively with him.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
Sorry about the lack of clarification. I meant strikeouts coming from a starter.I'm running a fantasy draft Franchise so the teams are jumbled. My 12 K game was with Jose Fernandez. I have Sonny Gray in my rotation but I was struggling to get things going. I was falling into deep counts and wasn't able to pitch effectively with him.
do u take into account who is at the plate? u need to be aware of who has chase tendencies and who sits on what pitch...for instance...idk bout any of u but Ian Kinsler hit 4 HRs on me in one series and they were on 4 fastballs but he NEVER swung at a breaking ball. The most I've got was 15 Ks with Bumgarner and I was hitting on all pitches so I never had to bail on one certain pitch. Also if ur in the NL vs AL that def helps getting to face the pitcher.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »