Home

After 9 editions of this series on 3 different platforms...

This is a discussion on After 9 editions of this series on 3 different platforms... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: After 9 editions of this series on 3 different platforms...

The commentary is stilted very badly. Each guy just takes turns reading their lines. I heard Matty V call the Futures Game, and the difference is night and day. It's baseball, these guys should go off-topic all the time. Announcers have to fill a lot of dead time between pitches, let them BS with each other about Philly cheese steaks or Chicago hot dogs during games. They never seem like they are enjoying calling the game either. Whenever something happens that'd make me laugh(awful swing timing for instance), I get chastised by the color guys.

The first step to fixing the commentary issue is putting these guys in the same room with each other. Replacing Dave Campbell should not have been so easy as "copy/pasting" Steve Lyons' dialog in its place.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
MVP

Shaffer26's Arena

OVR: 14

I'd rather them spend more time on gameplay than waste time with play by play. I turn it off after the first week anyways.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer26
I'd rather them spend more time on gameplay than waste time with play by play. I turn it off after the first week anyways.
Maybe you wouldnt if it was better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I was thinking you were going to point out we how we still can't cut the ball off after the throw.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
I watched baseball for 25 years and they still make the same plays they always have. when will players come up with some new ways to throw to first...and the commentary they still describe the same situations the same way...weird. Every time I listen to my home team commentary I hear the same things. I can easily predict what they say..and even when I watch away commentary same stories. Hell every time I watch an O's game I hear how Adam Jones was acquired. Almost every time he bats. Ive heard the same story from at least 6 different commentary teams. Its a common thing in baseball. The game doesnt change much..except the names.

Yes diversity is great but every game is repetitive, even the ones people praise I find extremely repetitive. I dont find the game worse than any other game, people just have preferences and I dont see the other games as being that much better. Shorter game times allow for less repition, less fun games cause me to play less so I dont hear it as often. Its all personal preference and SCEA seems to get ragged on the most about their commentary which I have never had a problem with.
While I'm not near as upset about the commentary in this game (it really doesn't bother me because I turn it off). Your reasons to defend it are a bit weak to say the least!! Each year in baseball there's tons of new stories, personal, injuries, contracts, budgets... The list goes on. Yup just turn it off, that's what I did because it's BORING as hell. When I played and play 2k I've never even thought about turning it off.
In the end it certainly is to each his own, but to even try to use the excuse that it's repetitive is absolutely ridiculous!

Last edited by Mrmagoo; 07-17-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

My priority list:
1 gameplay
2 AI
3 Franchise options
4 graphics
5 something I haven't thought of yet
6 RTTS
7 tie online and commentary

I dont buy this game to hear people talk. Thread should be renamed to more complaining about commentary.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
Banned

BlueJayPower's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
My priority list:
1 gameplay
2 AI
3 Franchise options
4 graphics
5 something I haven't thought of yet
6 RTTS
7 tie online and commentary

I dont buy this game to hear people talk. Thread should be renamed to more complaining about commentary.
Or maybe it should be renamed "Top priorities for rjackson in a sports video game"

Last edited by BlueJayPower; 07-17-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #16
Banned

BlueJayPower's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
I watched baseball for 25 years and they still make the same plays they always have. when will players come up with some new ways to throw to first...and the commentary they still describe the same situations the same way...weird. Every time I listen to my home team commentary I hear the same things. I can easily predict what they say..and even when I watch away commentary same stories. Hell every time I watch an O's game I hear how Adam Jones was acquired. Almost every time he bats. Ive heard the same story from at least 6 different commentary teams. Its a common thing in baseball. The game doesnt change much..except the names.
Come on dude. Seriously.

Last edited by BlueJayPower; 07-17-2014 at 08:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »