Home

You make the call!

This is a discussion on You make the call! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #41
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: You make the call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
I WAS SIMPLY STATING WHY A PREVIOUS MENTIONED RULE IN THIS THREAD HAD NO EFFECT ON THE RULING OF THE PLAY. AND AS FAR AS A MISSED BASE, YES IT'S CONSIDERED TO BE A MISSED BASE IF THE RUNNER DOESN'T TOUCH FIRST BEFORE ADVANCING ON A POP FLY IF HE WAS OFF THE BAG AT TIME OF THE CATCH.

Does that answer your question?
And yet your own post regarding flyballs tells you exactly why. Also on a flyball, if you pass 2nd, and go on to tird, but a catch is made, you may return to 1st but you must touch 2nd on your way back, in the event of a flyball out you may return and touch the base under a dead ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
The baserunner never owned second base in this scenario.

I can't believe over 4 pages over discussion has happened here and people still aren't understanding that part.
I misread the op and didn't realize the batter was out.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #43
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

I'm still trying to find the damn popcorn...
Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #44
Rookie

fullmetal2405's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
I WAS SIMPLY STATING WHY A PREVIOUS MENTIONED RULE IN THIS THREAD HAD NO EFFECT ON THE RULING OF THE PLAY. AND AS FAR AS A MISSED BASE, YES IT'S CONSIDERED TO BE A MISSED BASE IF THE RUNNER DOESN'T TOUCH FIRST BEFORE ADVANCING ON A POP FLY IF HE WAS OFF THE BAG AT TIME OF THE CATCH.

Does that answer your question?
Not a missed base. The runner legally owned first. you can't "miss" a base you already own. A missed base is just that. MISSED. As in the runner generally has to physically miss the bag while rounding it.

There were exactly zero missed bases in this play. Batter out - fly out. Runner awarded third - two bases on ball out of play (again, the runner legally owned first and he is awarded two bases from the base legally owned at the time the pitch was thrown). In real life he would be required to go back to first while the ball is dead, stepping on second along the way, then returning to third, again stepping on second on the way. Should he not step on second either going from third to first or vice versa, THAT is a missed base and the fielding team can appeal and get the runner out. In the context of The Show, that running back and forth would not happen. Therefore no missed bases. Runner should have been awarded third.

Last edited by fullmetal2405; 07-24-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #45
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

Something strange happened in my game last night. Rangers were trying to bunt a player over to 3rd, Leonys Martin was at the plate, he squares around as if to bunt, I threw a changeup low, and he pulls the bat back as he's in the process of pulling it back, the pitch hits him in the arm. However, instead of being awarded 1st on a HBP, the play is ruled a foul, next pitch I struck him out.

So, why wasn't it a HBP, is there some rule I'm overlooking, or a glitch within the game? Made me scratch my head a bit.

Last edited by Godgers12; 07-24-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #46
Rookie

fullmetal2405's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
Something strange happened in my game last night. Rangers were trying to bunt a player over to 3rd, Leonys Martin was at the plate, he squares around as if to bunt, I threw a changeup low, and he pulls the bat back as he's in the process of pulling it back, the pitch hits him in the arm. However, instead of being awarded 1st on a HBP, the play is ruled a foul, next pitch I struck him out.

So, why wasn't it a HBP, is there some rule I'm overlooking, or a glitch within the game? Made me scratch my head a bit.
If the ball hits the batter while swinging it is in fact ruled a foul ball. Showing bunt is considered swinging. So it would be umpires judgement if he pulled the bunt back in time.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 1

We have the correct ruling. Quit with all the semantics. I get it, we're all rule experts here. Congrats to everyone. You all win.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #48
Pro

OVR: 24

Rule 7.05 in Official MLB Rulebook:

Quote:
If a runner is forced to return to a base after a catch, he must retouch his original base even though,
because of some ground rule or other rule, he is awarded additional bases. He may retouch while the ball
is dead and the award is then made from his original base.
The runner would be awarded third base, 2 bases from his original base, at first.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »