Home

Old 07-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Slumps

Slumps really annoy me in the game because you can see them coming, yet no matter how good a pitch or how bad a pitcher is, you won't break out of it for a good while. It just feels like they're scripted. The Show really needs players to have a consistency rating to determine how often a player fall in slumps and how long it takes to break out of one. Anyone have this problem? Despite having 90+ contact and vision, I'm hitting a ridiculous .230.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Slumps

I have players go into slumps/hot streaks over the course of the season, but I don't feel like they are scripted.

Baseball is a funny game when it comes to slumps and hot streaks. We can be in a slump and smack the ball on the nose only to see it land in someone's glove. Or you can be on such a hot streak that no matter how weakly you hit a ball, it will find a hole or space and end up a hit.

Only thing you can do when in a slump is swing your way out.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

Only thing you can do when in a slump is swing your way out.
I actually find it more helpful to "unswing" my way out of a hitting funk.

When I'm in a slump, more often than not I tend to put in play pitches that I should just let go. Just becoming a tad more aggressive at the plate makes you swing at bad pitches. So when I'm in a funk, I consciously take more pitches, and only swing at a single pitch, usually a fastball at a specific location, till I get my discipline back.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I actually find it more helpful to "unswing" my way out of a hitting funk.

When I'm in a slump, more often than not I tend to put in play pitches that I should just let go. Just becoming a tad more aggressive at the plate makes you swing at bad pitches. So when I'm in a funk, I consciously take more pitches, and only swing at a single pitch, usually a fastball at a specific location, till I get my discipline back.
That comment was meant to be lighthearted in nature which is why I put the behind it.

Your approach is best when in a slump. Take pitches and see as many as you can in order to get an "eye" for hitting again. Far too often, those in slumps will swing freely hoping to get out of the slump quickly.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
Rookie

thatzacdavis's Arena

OVR: 0

My secret to getting out of a slump is getting a walk. It seems to get the hitter's confidence right back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 03:49 AM   #6
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Anyone heard of a slumpbuster? That might work also. You can look it up...
Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9

Well, now I'm completely convinced slumps are scripted or at least forced on you.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxphenom7
Well, now I'm completely convinced slumps are scripted or at least forced on you.
They aren't, imo, but what happens is your player goes cold, which can/does modify his performance negatively (especially if they are more average/borderline players or at least in weaker/borderline skills), which then makes it more likely for the player to struggle, which keeps him cold, and so on.

Of course, the reverse is true for hot. A hot player that's also talented can be near unstoppable. Still remember the year Wil Myers was having before I switched - 37-game hitting streak, batting over .400 into May with power - totally insane. Same with Longoria the year before - hit like .360 with 40+ HR.

That might lend to a scripted feel, but a few games of bad luck can send the player spiraling down for a while - just like smacking 2 HR and going 7-for-12 in a series can fire him right up.

I do think they are more volatile this year. Last year, it seems more regulated on the "last 10 games". This year, I've seen more game-by-game changes than I remember seeing last year.

Last edited by KBLover; 07-26-2014 at 06:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »