Home

1st pitch?

This is a discussion on 1st pitch? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Dead Solid Perfect

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 1st pitch?

It's best not to get into any set pattern or the A.I. will eventually pick up on any tendencies and eat your M.O. for lunch.

Syracuse #44
Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldaddy35
Do you usually swing at the 1st pitch or take it?
It depends on the situation. I'm typically pretty aggressive at the plate, and I swing at the first pitch more often than not. The main situations where I find myself taking the 1st pitch, are after a walk, and against a new pitcher (ie just entered the game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldaddy35
Ok, so whenever its a 1st pitch ball, I ALWAYS take the next pitch in case its a ball and the count goes to 2-0. Do any of you guys do that?
I do this a lot, actually. Once I smell a walk I become a lot more patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
It's best not to get into any set pattern or the A.I. will eventually pick up on any tendencies and eat your M.O. for lunch.
And this is spot on.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Early game (first few innings or maybe first time through the lineup depending on how the game is going) - I'm taking.

Mid game (4-6 innings), I'm swinging more often on first pitch strikes, especially if the pitcher is thinking he's getting away with crap pitches.

Late game (7-9 innings), depends on the situation. If I'm ahead, I might be more aggressive. If I'm behind, I'm trying to work walks. Against their closer, I'm usually trying to take as much as possible.

Extras - I usually start taking a lot again, figuring guys are tired and to keep running up pitch counts.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPizza
About 6 years ago someone in the forum gave some great advice about determining a pitcher's release point so you could track the ball better. At the time this advice revolutionized my hitting in The Show.

Since then, I always take the first pitch the first time seeing a pitcher. This way I get his release point. The second or third time I see the same pitcher I'm looking for a pitch to drive from the first pitch on.

I use zone hitting, and usually put the marker in the general area where I'm looking for a pitch to attack. If the pitch isn't there, I don't swing. If I get to a two strike count I go into more of a protect mode.

I wish I could remember the name of the person who gave the advice about looking for the release point. Whoever you are, thanks!
What was the advice?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

I always take till I get a strike. One of my ground rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I always go to the plate planning on taking the first pitch, and then proceed to swing at it anyway regardless of if it is anywhere near the plate about 95% of the time

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »