Home

"starting to struggle" message

This is a discussion on "starting to struggle" message within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: "starting to struggle" message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
That's because you read/comprehend only what you want to.
I never discounted performance at any level to determine any rating or potential.
I merely stated that SOMETIMES those things can change for seemingly no reason.
Do you do this a lot?.......State things that simply aren't true and try and attribute them as fact.

From the start.....I think most of us stated that MOST players should follow a projected path according to their potential....but that if say(for the sake of talk) 5% jump or dive surprisingly.....that just adds to the realism(since it does happen in real life).

M.K.
Knight165
That makes sense although I see no evidence that is what happened to the player I reference in my op.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #58
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I think it's pretty clear your mind isn't going to change at all. I'm starting to believe the main problem is the fact you can see the potential. If it was hidden and you put up those average stats and say in 3 years he was only a 4 or 5 man, I doubt this topic is made.

However, potential is visible and it just seems like to you that it needs to be static and follow the same path every time. I've already told you about LaStella in my two franchises and you must have ignored it, but it clearly shows that each franchise could be different. Maybe you're just unlucky and had we ran 10 franchises with those stats, your pitcher would have stayed the same or had his ceiling raised in 8 of 10. We won't know if that's the case, but to assume the system is broken because one player didn't progress like you wanted is a little too far in my mind. I definitely find it more realistic that it's dynamic and players don't follow the same paths every time.

― Plato
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #59
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
But if he had two bad starts in June, then that would leave me to believe that instead of the potential rating being "random", its dynamic. Had he had two excellent starts and gotten the "stock is rising" message then I'm sure his potential would've gone the other way.

The game isn't basing his entire career on these two starts. The only thing that they are trying to project is what caliber player he will become. As he gets older, his potential rating will continue to change as they try to determine what caliber of player he will become become based on performance, and I believe training.
I suspect the two bad starts were the reason he dropped but those were the only bad starts he had. His start immediately prior to the "starting to struggle" message was 7 innings, 1 earned run, win. Subsequent to that he pitched the only no hitter I have seen in manage mode - no "stock is rising" message.

Others have commented it should be based on a larger sample size and I agree.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #60
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I think it's pretty clear your mind isn't going to change at all. I'm starting to believe the main problem is the fact you can see the potential. If it was hidden and you put up those average stats and say in 3 years he was only a 4 or 5 man, I doubt this topic is made.

However, potential is visible and it just seems like to you that it needs to be static and follow the same path every time. I've already told you about LaStella in my two franchises and you must have ignored it, but it clearly shows that each franchise could be different. Maybe you're just unlucky and had we ran 10 franchises with those stats, your pitcher would have stayed the same or had his ceiling raised in 8 of 10. We won't know if that's the case, but to assume the system is broken because one player didn't progress like you wanted is a little too far in my mind. I definitely find it more realistic that it's dynamic and players don't follow the same paths every time.
I have a question. I had to look up LaStella to see who he is and he appears to be a minor league player with Atlanta. Are you using osfm rosters?
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 AM   #61
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I have a question. I had to look up LaStella to see who he is and he appears to be a minor league player with Atlanta. Are you using osfm rosters?
He's been on the MLB roster for nearly a month now, I believe.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #62
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
I suspect the two bad starts were the reason he dropped but those were the only bad starts he had. His start immediately prior to the "starting to struggle" message was 7 innings, 1 earned run, win. Subsequent to that he pitched the only no hitter I have seen in manage mode - no "stock is rising" message.

Ok, so he won his two previous starts to this downfall. Then had two bad starts. What were his stats for the two bad starts?

So before all this he was 4-5 correct? So before he had the two great starts he was 2-5, with what I'm guessing was a near 5.00 ERA, given that he pitched a no hitter and then only gave up one run in his next start.

Seems to me that his norm for the year has been to struggle. He has a high ERA, despite the two terrific starts. I don't see the major concern/questioning for his potential rating to drop.

From the information gathered, he has had 2 great starts this year, but other than that, he's been what, average at best with a losing record.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #63
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

LaStella has been on the Braves major league roster for 2 months I believe. He's had a near. 300 average and been the most disciplined hitter. I find it strange you wouldn't know who he was. All the networks like to talk about him.

But I am using the OSFM V2 rosters. I don't exactly know what that has to do with the topic on hand. His rosters don't change the way the progression system works.

Besides that, you still dodged everything else my posts have mentioned. I don't feel like typing it out a 3rd time though. Plenty of is in here gave given you a good number of logical reasonings and you still dispute them all. Your mind was made up before the topic was made and it's become very evident you just have an agenda.

― Plato
Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #64
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

While this doesn't address the core issue of deciding on two outings, I would "storyline" that by the scouts were skeptical on him.

That happens in the real game. A guy they don't like plays well - ceiling is slow to come up...it's almost FORCED up by his continued good play. However, a guy like that slumps and everyone parrots out how "they were right" and that the kid is a bum.

It's like with Solano for me - hit .251 but his potential went up after a good September call-up chance. His ratings basically maxed his prior potential (I know that doesn't matter...right?), so I thought of it as him convincing guys with his work ethic and learning things in AAA (he was on fire in AAA after his demotion too, so maybe unfair to say it was solely because of his September).

As opposed to Koehler who I non-tendered because he just keeps going down in progression (let alone potential). Lazy bum doesn't need spot on my budding rotation.

If Hara keeps doing well, maybe he can "force" his ceiling higher. It's still random, but keep him productive and away from cold streaks as much as humanly possible and he'll stay "on the short list" for a boost. It's how Guerrierri became higher potential than Price for me in MLB13. He "forced it" by playing ace-level baseball ever since I called him up. Still looking for my "next Guerrierri" - or maybe I should trade for him in MLB14 lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »