Home

MLB 14 The Show: How to Improve the Presentation

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: How to Improve the Presentation within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #49
Rookie

Candymandagreat's Arena

OVR: 2
i disagree with this whole article. all that's needed is fluid, dynamic commentary and different commentators
Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #50
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 14 The Show: How to Improve the Presentation

Stats... Stats and more stats, both during the game WITH the commentary speaking about those stats which in itself will freshen up the commentary, and more stats tracked and presented in a much more organized and efficient way away from the game in franchise mode.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #51
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I am not sure if this really falls into this category, but during playoff games, the umpiring crew is short two umpires. There aren't LF/RF line umpires in the playoffs.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #52
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I am not sure if this really falls into this category, but during playoff games, the umpiring crew is short two umpires. There aren't LF/RF line umpires in the playoffs.

Also along these lines, I would like of the umpires got into correct positions to make calls.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #53
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

hope the team is watching tonight's game and nail playoff atmosphere for next year
Old 10-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #54
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I'm not sure if it's possible to load up two games simultaneously in order to have the announcers break to an important game (other than yours) in the league for a VISUAL look in....but they could certainly figure a way to grab info about the game(it's on the ticker!) and have the announcers talk about it.
Yeah a visual cut in would be amazing, but you're right... just having the commentators mention a no hitter in another game would be pretty cool too.

What if the other game in question was loaded up ahead of time? So it was all Predetermined?

IE:
I load up my Mets franchise, and as the game loads, the game looks at the calendar for today, and picks a game at random. It simulates that entire game ahead of time (the game already sims all other games before starting yours anyway, right?) . Let's say it picks Blue Jays vs KC Royals. After it sims the game, and before your game begins, it looks in the boxscore for the Royals game and picks a random event... home run, strike out, etc...

So before my game starts, The Show's engine already knows the cut in it's going to do, and what type of event it will be... and it loads the players involved (the batter, pitcher, those on base etc...)

Then at some point during YOUR game, it plays a scene (that was already chosen) of jose bautista hitting a 3 run-hr against james shields, which corresponds to the box score that was already created.

I don't see why thats not doable, on PS4 at least. I know implementation bla bla... but I mean... from a hardware standpoint, that's at least possible right?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #55
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Yeah a visual cut in would be amazing, but you're right... just having the commentators mention a no hitter in another game would be pretty cool too.

What if the other game in question was loaded up ahead of time? So it was all Predetermined?

IE:
I load up my Mets franchise, and as the game loads, the game looks at the calendar for today, and picks a game at random. It simulates that entire game ahead of time (the game already sims all other games before starting yours anyway, right?) . Let's say it picks Blue Jays vs KC Royals. After it sims the game, and before your game begins, it looks in the boxscore for the Royals game and picks a random event... home run, strike out, etc...

So before my game starts, The Show's engine already knows the cut in it's going to do, and what type of event it will be... and it loads the players involved (the batter, pitcher, those on base etc...)

Then at some point during YOUR game, it plays a scene (that was already chosen) of jose bautista hitting a 3 run-hr against james shields, which corresponds to the box score that was already created.

I don't see why thats not doable, on PS4 at least. I know implementation bla bla... but I mean... from a hardware standpoint, that's at least possible right?

That's a good idea.
I really don't know if it can load up the graphics for two games though....and if not....the problem would be that the faces/stadium/etc are not generic...so it's not like you can even have some "pre-set" cutscenes and fill in the teams and such.

BUT...as you can save your highlights....I wonder if the game could do that for other games for a WEEKLY highlight show(or daily...OUT of your game...)

I hope they do something along these lines though!

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #56
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

OVR: 0

For me the two things that I have wanted to see presentation wise are

Catchers framing pitches: A big part of baseball that is not represented in the game is catchers framing pitches (this could even be tied to fielding/reaction rating or a new one as to how much they do it. i.e. Lucroy would do it more pronounced or often than W. Castillo.). The way catchers receive pitches has always been a weak spot to me for the game and with framing becoming such a large part of catcher evaluation I feel like it's an important element of baseball that should be represented in the game at least visually.

More natural camera cuts/angles: I've brought this up before, but during an MLB broadcast there is always a slight delay after the ball is put into play before the cut to action. Pro Yakyuu does this well and I wish The Show could add this slight delay that is seen in TV broadcasts. It is a subtle delay, but I feel it would go a long way to make the game feel more like a natural broadcast. It doesn't have to be as long as an actual broadcast as well. Pro Yakyuu's is probably shorter than actual TV, but just seeing the batter's follow through would likely be enough.

Example: http://youtu.be/SMz7rzw5Uiw?t=3m9s

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »