Home

No Way to Sign Free Agents to MiLB Contracts?

This is a discussion on No Way to Sign Free Agents to MiLB Contracts? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2
No Way to Sign Free Agents to MiLB Contracts?

I've had to cannibalize and shuffle my MiLB teams' limited roster of relievers to make up for some injuries in my offline franchise. I'd like to offer one or two jobs to a couple unemployed pitchers twiddling their thumbs in the Free Agent market.

I'm not going after the Octavio Dotels or the Darren Olivers - older dudes whose experience and contract demands rule them out for my purposes. Rather, I'm hoping to snag one or two of the younger guys for place-holders (hoping for the extremely off-chance Potential explosion).

But I can't seem to sign any of these guys without room on my MLB roster open. Is there another way to go around this hurdle? If I move one of my current call-ups back down to the minors to sign a new guy, will I be able to switch them back again?

I understand that whomever I sign will be stuck on my 40-man roster for the rest of the season, unless there's another way around that too.

Any ideas? Or am I stuck with my current desolate landscape of worn-out arms? Or... could I use the Edit Player function? Would I be able to give that guy a salary if I Edited a Player onto my team?

(I also understand that some gamers might abuse this ability, stocking their minors with every half-decent and desperate unemployed baseball player, but I only need one or two pitchers to help with the current situation.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: No Way to Sign Free Agents to MiLB Contracts?

when you're on the free agent screen, use the R1 button to change your team roster from MLB to AAA or AA and then sign the player you want. They will then appear on your AAA or AA team.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2

Wow. Durrr.

Thanks, man.

So, huh. Maybe I'm missing something. I switched from my MLB club to my AA club, shipped a guy down from AA to Single-A, and tried to sign a reliever. It keeps telling me that my roster is full, and that I must release a player before signing anyone else. Am I doing something wrong still? Or are there a limited number of players TOTAL that you can have in your system?

I have 90 players total in my system, which ends up being MLB/AAA/AA: 25, Single-A: 15. Same number as the rest of the teams in this Franchise. Maybe that's the max # of players you can have at any one time?

Also, just to be clear, hitting L1 or R1 doesn't do much of anything on either screen of the Free Agent screen - I have to switch control via the Right Stick (which is maybe what you meant anyway).

Last edited by torpidbeaver; 08-03-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver
Wow. Durrr.

Thanks, man.
no problem

Old 08-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #5
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Wow. Durrr.

Thanks, man.

So, huh. Maybe I'm missing something. I switched from my MLB club to my AA club, shipped a guy down from AA to Single-A, and tried to sign a reliever. It keeps telling me that my roster is full, and that I must release a player before signing anyone else. Am I doing something wrong still? Or are there a limited number of players TOTAL that you can have in your system?

I have 90 players total in my system, which ends up being MLB/AAA/AA: 25, Single-A: 15. Same number as the rest of the teams in this Franchise. Maybe that's the max # of players you can have at any one time?

Also, just to be clear, hitting L1 or R1 doesn't do much of anything on either screen of the Free Agent screen - I have to switch control via the Right Stick (which is maybe what you meant anyway).
Basically what you gotta do is release a guy to be able to sign him.. you have 90 players which if I'm correct is the max you can have on all 4 of your teams(MLB, AAA, AA, A), so just release someone who really isn't needed(theres always that 50 OVR, D potential in A)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Wow. Durrr.

Thanks, man.

I wasn't at the screen so I couldn't remember what button you hit to switch from one side to the other and scroll your different rosters.

You are only allowed 90 players total in your organization (25 for MLB/AAA/AA) and 15 for Single-A. You have to release someone in order to make room to sign someone else.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Yes....90 is the MAX per organization.
I was hoping that they would allow you to go over that IF you had players on the 60 day DL.

The 60 day DL DOES allow you to go over the "limit" of the 40 man roster as it should(it wasn't always this way...they fixed that a few years ago) which is extremely helpful.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
The 60 day DL DOES allow you to go over the "limit" of the 40 man roster as it should(it wasn't always this way...they fixed that a few years ago) which is extremely helpful.

M.K.
Knight165
Oh my that stunk when you couldn't add a player to the 40 man after putting someone on 60 day DL. Thankfully that little hiccup is long gone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »