Home

Fielder Control

This is a discussion on Fielder Control within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18
Fielder Control

This is an issue that I've had for a few years, but now it's just too much. We need to have more control over our fielders in a few different ways. I've committed a ton of errors in the outfield because I can't position my players with total control. There have been plenty of times where I've only had to backtrack just a little bit, but due to how wonky the player movements are my fielder gets there with his back turned when the ball arrives and commits a goofy looking error. Why isn't there a strafe button in the field? I hate having to run around in circles just trying to field an easy fly ball.

Fielding needs to not be so animation based. Let me do all of that. I can't tell you how many times a groundball goes up the middle of the dugout and if my middle infielders actually got a decent jump on it and ran over there like I'm telling them to, we could potentially make a play. Instead, they do that lazy little animation where they stretch out there glove halfheartedly and give up the base hit.

My final issue doesn't effect me negatively too often, but after a play today I just want it gone. I had a grounder come back up the middle to my pitcher. He bobbled it a little, but still had all the time in the world to get the out. First of all, the animation took forever to play out so by the time he actually picked up the ball and stopped standing still the runner was more than half way to first, but a good hard throw could get him.. Instead, he picks it up, looks at the ball, takes his time, and throws it softly over even though I told him to really put some *** behind it. That needs to go. Outfielders and infielders with both lollygag it back it, if I wanted that, I'd tap the button, not smash it in like my life depended on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets closed, but come on now, we need some better control on defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Fielder Control

The biggest issue I have with fielding, is when your infielders get locked into an animation of waiting on a soft grounder or not being able to charge a ball and try to field it in between hops, which leads to cheap infield hits or takes away any opportunity at a double play.

I too wish they wouldn't lock us into fielding animations. I am sure they have reasons, and I the good of them doing that far outweigh the bad, but when the bad happens, its frustrating.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
Rookie

MannTooth24's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah I cannot stand the animations. Nothing worse than fielding an easy grounder only to have the infielder take his time, crow hop, and then throw the ball to 1st only to have the runner beat it out. The animations need to go!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

I have sadly accepted to play with auto fielding but manual throwing. Does anyone else that plays this way think that even with preloading a throw it still seems to take longer than in past years for the fielder to get the ball in?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

I seem to recall reading somewhere there are no plans to change from an animation based fielding scheme. Hopefully the power of the ps4 will allow SDS to change their stance on that somewhere down the line.
#44Syracuse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo
I have sadly accepted to play with auto fielding but manual throwing. Does anyone else that plays this way think that even with preloading a throw it still seems to take longer than in past years for the fielder to get the ball in?

Yep, I too play with auto fielding and am noticing this too. I started a thread regarding this but got no input. I also have base runner speed at 3 which I like but still seeing too many routine plays end up base hits. The last few games I've played I am holding left stick toward the base I'm throwing to while preloading and it seems to help if you get the timing right, but it may just be my imagination.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo
It does.

I play the same way and it is really frustrating. Between this and outfielders "kissing" the wall every time they field something on the run near the wall. It's WAY too slow. This can't be the only way they can "balance" (man I hate that word in sports games) getting extra base hits. It's so unreal to get a double or extra base because the outfielder got to the ball in plenty of time, but decides to do a push up on the wall before playing baseball again.

So far, my fix is lowering runner speed significantly and fielder throwing slightly. It's crazy how fast runners move while the defense takes it's sweet time.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Well at least I know it's not just me then. I just never remembered it taking that long to get the ball in on just a normal base hit in front of the outfielder. I mean it's probably not a big difference but enough to notice anyway.
Another thing I noticed is some outfielders (don't know if it has to do with ratings) will just take their damn time jogging to catch a fly ball even when there's a base runner on.... And of course they tag up and advance safely, that really drives me nuts!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »