Home

Prospect Handling - Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Prospect Handling - Franchise Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Prospect Handling - Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Keep in mind that while there are no actual playable games in Single A...they do accumulate stats(not sure how they do it....I have to ask about that)
Not a single one of my A-ballers has stats.

I noticed in MLB13, at least for me, it was "random" who got stats and who didn't. Never figured out how or why or why not just generate some stats for them.

That's one reason I always keep A-ball sparse, because I want them playing so they can generate stats. Only old scrubs or failed prospects (read: 27+ aged players with D POT and no useful baseball talent) sit there just in case to fill in rosters if for some reason I end up with too few (sometimes I underestimate minor league free agency or something).
Old 08-18-2014, 12:53 AM   #10
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
While the game doesn't believe in "challenging" prospects (for reasons you guys mentioned - higher stats = higher chance for the "stock is rising" message and no chance for a "starting to struggle" message), I find it more real (and challenging, no pun intended) to move them up if they have strong success at a level and then see how they do.

Even if the ratings don't necessarily scream that they are ready for the next level, the performance usually guides me, with a few restrictions and a decent sample size is needed. The lower the ratings, the longer the player will need to stay hot/perform well.

I find that allows me to experience positive surprises (kid that just "seems raw" but succeeds at every level so he sticks) and negative surprises (he performed well, but struggled at the next level and sometimes he'll end up struggling again after being demoted). Had a pitcher do that, Angel Sanchez, tore up AAA until late in the season. Gave him a chance, he struggled, sent him back to AAA (where he was doing well), struggled still. Ended up losing some potential during the postseason, has to bounce back - such is baseball.

On other other hand, Michael Feliz shot up - had the same path as Sanchez, but didn't make it to the majors (no room). Had a tough Spring, but gave him a shot still. So far, he's sticking.

I just find doing things like that instead of just getting away with being able to stagnate prospects to try to get potential gains is more dynamic and fun and brings in more of the real life risks in trying to progress and handle prospects.
This is about the same way I handle them, I find it a bit more interesting myself.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 AM   #11
Rookie

Chetballard's Arena

OVR: 3

How many of you sim all your games? I would think that if you play every game the strategy would be different. I dont sim and still trying to finish 2014 season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 AM   #12
Pro

HadlerT's Arena

OVR: 25

I don't "cheat" either. I have guys who actually started the season in A ball in real life start there in my franchise. Guys like Victor Sanche, Tyler Pike, DJ Peterson.

Anyway, I have guys like Patrick Kivelhan and Austin Williams tearin up AA, if they keep up their pace, they could maybe get to A POT by the end of the season and a call up to AAA in August/September. I'm only 9 games in the season, but I can't wait until late May/Early Jume when
I process/evaluate everyone. I check every game, but I have a huge process/evaluation every two months-ish.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo
This is about the same way I handle them, I find it a bit more interesting myself.
Agreed.

I sometimes find it fascinating for all the talk about "thinking like baseball not like a video game" and having to "use your imagination" that people will stagnate prospects for video game reasons.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #14
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

Keep in mind that while there are no actual playable games in Single A...they do accumulate stats(not sure how they do it....I have to ask about that)

M.K.
Knight165
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Not a single one of my A-ballers has stats.

I noticed in MLB13, at least for me, it was "random" who got stats and who didn't. Never figured out how or why or why not just generate some stats for them.
I think a player who was sent down to Single-A will keep his stats from Double-A or Triple-A. I don't think They actually generate stats in single-A.

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 08-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetballard
How many of you sim all your games? I would think that if you play every game the strategy would be different. I dont sim and still trying to finish 2014 season.
I play some of my minor league games, especially if there's prospects I'm curious about bringing up and I want to "scout them with my own eyes" to get a feel for how their stuff is, etc - especially pitchers. Hitters seem to be all the same since I'm not an analog player, especially with no G/F tendencies or hidden ability to hit some pitches better than others, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
Rookie

OReilly10's Arena

OVR: 7

OK. So it seems the driving force is statistics, and Class A can be great for development. Good to know.

I like to typically go the Sim route, so I will progress my prospects at a realistic path. I also want to build a championship farm system.

I havent played any MiLB games yet, but I plan to play playoff games if they happen. Wouldnt rule out an occasional game here and there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »