Home

For fielders: A "run to a base" button?

This is a discussion on For fielders: A "run to a base" button? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 24
For fielders: A "run to a base" button?

What if we had a button we could press to send our fielder to the bag of our choice?

One problem I encounter from time to time is getting the fielder to acknowledge the incoming runner, and prepare to touch the bag, or apply a tag accordingly.

The easiest way to explain this is on a double play. If I field the ball a few meters away from the base, I'd like to input a command to run to second, then queue up a throw to first, just like we already do with regular double plays (where you can initiate the throw to first as soon as the ball is in the air). Currently, I have to manually run towards the base, which results in an awkward-looking path. It "works" in terms of process, but when you look at it, live or on replay, it can sometimes look weird. You're usually guessing what angle to run at so that you can touch the bag, and end up taking a weird curvy path if you guessed wrong or have to adjust your angle.

Another common scenario is at home plate. Most recently, I had a wild pitch that rebounded off the wall and rolled right back to home. The runner on third had already committed towards home and I had an easy out. But because there is no "approach/stay on the bag" button, my only option was to run in circles until the runner was near, and run right into the runner to "trigger" a tag. It gets the job done, but it looks incredibly awkward.

Or what if the bases are loaded and the third baseman is lucky enough to find a ball hit his way? I'm usually running in weird directions hoping to stumble upon the bag so that I can launch a throw towards first base.

These problems never occur on throws, only when the baseman fielded the ball his self.

I feel like a controls-change would resolve this problem completely. I imagine an alternate universe where after fielding the ball, I just hold L2, and press Square, to direct my fielder to run in a straight line, directly towards third base. I could hold L2 and press Triangle, for 2nd, or L2+Circle, for 1st.

Basically, my idea is to map L2 (or any shoulder button) to replace the throw buttons with "run" buttons...

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in having this kind of button/control option available? Or is this a silly idea?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: For fielders: A "run to a base" button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
What if we had a button we could press to send our fielder to the bag of our choice?

One problem I encounter from time to time is getting the fielder to acknowledge the incoming runner, and prepare to touch the bag, or apply a tag accordingly.

The easiest way to explain this is on a double play. If I field the ball a few meters away from the base, I'd like to input a command to run to second, then queue up a throw to first, just like we already do with regular double plays (where you can initiate the throw to first as soon as the ball is in the air). Currently, I have to manually run towards the base, which results in an awkward-looking path. It "works" in terms of process, but when you look at it, live or on replay, it can sometimes look weird. You're usually guessing what angle to run at so that you can touch the bag, and end up taking a weird curvy path if you guessed wrong or have to adjust your angle.

Another common scenario is at home plate. Most recently, I had a wild pitch that rebounded off the wall and rolled right back to home. The runner on third had already committed towards home and I had an easy out. But because there is no "approach/stay on the bag" button, my only option was to run in circles until the runner was near, and run right into the runner to "trigger" a tag. It gets the job done, but it looks incredibly awkward.

Or what if the bases are loaded and the third baseman is lucky enough to find a ball hit his way? I'm usually running in weird directions hoping to stumble upon the bag so that I can launch a throw towards first base.

These problems never occur on throws, only when the baseman fielded the ball his self.

I feel like a controls-change would resolve this problem completely. I imagine an alternate universe where after fielding the ball, I just hold L2, and press Square, to direct my fielder to run in a straight line, directly towards third base. I could hold L2 and press Triangle, for 2nd, or L2+Circle, for 1st.

Basically, my idea is to map L2 (or any shoulder button) to replace the throw buttons with "run" buttons...

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in having this kind of button/control option available? Or is this a silly idea?
I actually like this idea. I know when a ball is hit to the first basemen, if you press "O" then the 1B will either run to the base or toss to the pitcher. There have been times when he is waiting to toss to the pitcher but no one is covering, or he waits too long to run to the base and has to slide to the bag to get the out. While 99% of time, I get the out, I don't like it being out of my control.

Same thing goes for double plays. I would rather be able to tell my fielder to just run and touch the base instead of pressing triangle and hoping they make the right decision. In the game I just played, Descalso (playing SS) fielded a ball hit back up the middle. I pressed triangle thinking he would continue movement and just step on the base for the out at 2B and the throw to first. However, he stopped his momentum and tossed to Ellis who then was too slow on the relay throw to 1B. I'm not sure I would've gotten the DP had Descalso touched 2B, due to Buxton being the hitter, but there was no way I was going to get him by tossing the ball.

Like you said, most of the time, it works out, but for me its that moment of "no control" that makes you unsure of what is going to happen that makes for awkward plays.

Great idea in my opinion.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #3
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

If you are close enough to your base, you can run to the bag by holding the base button?

htcONE [M8] | Tapatalk Pro

YouTube

Old 08-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
If you are close enough to your base, you can run to the bag by holding the base button?

Yes you can. I've done it at 1B and 2B. Don't remember doing it for 3rd or home in all my time playing the game.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:

yeah, but it doesn't always work (and of course, I never know whether or not it will work on a given play until I try it and see, which leads to its own set of problems). I'm talking more an unequivocal type of thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
yeah, but it doesn't always work (and of course, I never know whether or not it will work on a given play until I try it and see, which leads to its own set of problems). I'm talking more an unequivocal type of thing.
Ahhhh, I see what your saying. Yeah there is a certain proximity you have to be within... I think what you are saying is take away that proximity zone (and created uncertainty), and let you run to any base, from wherever (e.g. run to 1B with your SS if you wanted). I agree that would be a definite gameplay upgrade, as long as they could still get it to play nicely with throw cancellation.

YouTube

Old 08-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Ahhhh, I see what your saying. Yeah there is a certain proximity you have to be within... I think what you are saying is take away that proximity zone (and created uncertainty), and let you run to any base, from wherever (e.g. run to 1B with your SS if you wanted). I agree that would be a definite gameplay upgrade, as long as they could still get it to play nicely with throw cancellation.
Yeah it would definitely have to be cancellable. I'd hate to accidentally make my Center Fielder run towards home plate with no chance for recourse... lol.

I guess just throw it in with the throws, where a "run command" cancels out a throw command, and vice versa.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I like this idea - maybe something like R2+base button = Run to base.

Or maybe use the directional pad (I assume the L stick is used for movement, I don't know since I use auto fielding). Pushing on the pad makes the fielder run to base and if you throw, the fielder will still throw it. If you want to stop running to the base, pushing the same d-pad button will stop it. So that will keep the cancelling/bluffing as part of it, like on a run down or something.

That should keep it from interfering with anything.

D-pad = to-base movement (press same button to cancel move, press different to run to a different base)

Buttons = throw to base as usual with the usual cancelling system.

L-stick = allows free movement

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »