Home

Hit Timing In Zones

This is a discussion on Hit Timing In Zones within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Hit Timing In Zones

Wondering if anyone approaches the plate like I do if you're looking for gappers. I read a lot on here about gamers getting enraged about hitting with perfect timing on balls down the middle, and it always results in going straight to a fielder. My opinion, isn't that supposed to happen? When defenses are playing you straight up? Here's my approach, and let me know if you think it's flawed.

Inside on the black - Swing slightly late timing
Middle-In - Perfect
Down the middle - Slightly early/late
Middle Out - Perfect
Outside on the black - Slightly early
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Hit Timing In Zones

Thing is, while you can try to maintain that approach, you cannot execute it all the time. And that's pretty much the purpose of pitching by change of pace.

Most of the time when people complain about hitting directly at a fielder too often, it's likely mean that they have experienced an unlucky streak of solidly hits that ended up finding fielders' glove.

Once a contact is made and the ball leaves the bat, a hitter (or pitcher for that matter) doesn't have a whole a lot of control over where it goes. That's the whole point of people using BABIP and how it doesn't vary that much for pitchers (though less so for batters).
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Not to mention that it seems to depend at least some on where the PCI is. So if you're "Just Early" on a ball down the middle, but the PCI is on the outside of the ball, it's going to have "extra" hook on it.

While for interfaces that have control over the PCI, this might not matter much, if you're timing hitting - it's a factor you can't control, but have to account for (or just hope for the best).

The Timing slider also factors. "Just Early" on 0 Timing is going to do more to change direction than on default or 10 (or anywhere in between).

Plus, I think a lot of it is a limitation of the game engine. While 'bad luck' is always a factor, I think BABIP on line drives is just too low. Even when I have a good day offensively, it's mostly due to walks and HR or grounders that find holes and let me string some of those walks with some hits. Line drives don't often approach the .700 or so BABIP they do in real life for me, even with Timing and Solid Hits above default.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Plus, I think a lot of it is a limitation of the game engine. While 'bad luck' is always a factor, I think BABIP on line drives is just too low. Even when I have a good day offensively, it's mostly due to walks and HR or grounders that find holes and let me string some of those walks with some hits. Line drives don't often approach the .700 or so BABIP they do in real life for me, even with Timing and Solid Hits above default.
I have to agree with this. It's like there isn't enough power behind batted balls that aren't elevated (ie: not enough power behind ground balls and liners, and all the stuff in between).
Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
MVP

FluffyTonka's Arena

OVR: 8

there's a few key things wrong with this game (ps4 version)

there's not enough ball physics in general. a lack of bloopers, and poorly timed balls into gaps. Balls seem to be either smacked crisply (mostly to fielders) or hit foul ... not enough in between these two variables, and def not enough realism in regards to ball physics off the bat.

The infielders react too quickly, they jump too high, and move/ dive laterally at super human levels, which is cutting down and practically ruling out line drives from the game. The ball is either going yard, or or your grounding/ flying out to the infielder.

The outfielders seem to magically stand in shallow right or left and not have to move for easy fly outs, which cuts down on the rare (far too rare) bloopers that do make it out of the infield.

Throw in alotta of the poor player (hitting) attributes out of the box all in all, the game is super disappointing. The worst show I've played without a doubt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I have to agree with this. It's like there isn't enough power behind batted balls that aren't elevated (ie: not enough power behind ground balls and liners, and all the stuff in between).

Yeah, I think that's exactly it.

I raised my power slider to 8 and those kinds of hits now can have some oomph behind them. I prefer 10, really, as the ball behaves more realistically off the bat to me (and I seem to see more variety in how the ball behaves when it hits the ground, impact of timing, etc), but the HR (and the distances especially, light hitting guys driving them 410 feet or and such) got out of hand.

Of course, I run the risk of getting too many HR even on 8, but so far, there's been nothing totally unreasonable. Plus, Stanton might actually hit a ball 480 feet now like he did this year in the real game.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19

In can you post your sliders that you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Yeah, I think that's exactly it.

I raised my power slider to 8 and those kinds of hits now can have some oomph behind them. I prefer 10, really, as the ball behaves more realistically off the bat to me (and I seem to see more variety in how the ball behaves when it hits the ground, impact of timing, etc), but the HR (and the distances especially, light hitting guys driving them 410 feet or and such) got out of hand.

Of course, I run the risk of getting too many HR even on 8, but so far, there's been nothing totally unreasonable. Plus, Stanton might actually hit a ball 480 feet now like he did this year in the real game.

https://www.youtube.com/@B1g___Boned

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »