Home

Why do people say this game is bad?

This is a discussion on Why do people say this game is bad? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #25
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Why do people say this game is bad?

Moegames comes in here and makes a great post...

Then DrYCell makes a great post about criticizing the game but with respect.

I thoroughly enjoy the game but man it needs some refinement. Hoping the SCEA team pulls out all the stops to enhance the on-field experience as well as some off the field improvement.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #26
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrYCeLL
Ok, here's what I can come up with that shouldn't even be on a list in 2014:

-Practice swings still have players unnaturally slide back into their stance upon completion. This has been a problem since games from the '90s, you'd think it would have been addressed by now.

-Only 3 body types. Even Madden now has quite a few different body types.

-The "casual fielding" that seems a lot worse than the last few years.

-A ghost-town of a franchise mode. With 162 game seasons, there need to be reasons to plug along all year.

-The frame-rate issue in cutscenes. If the gameplay can run at a silky 60 fps, so should all the cutscenes.

-The commentary is still bad, lacking any real flow and variety.

-The menus are still clunky, OS did an article themselves on that issue.

-No PTBNLs, 3 team trades, or trades that involve more than 3 players.

-Lack of low minors, drafted players can't be used until the next season.

-Lack of any real Stat tracking.

That being said, the on-field product for the most part is really good. The various difficulty options and all the mechanics and features they keep around and build from are great.

Seeing all the progress NBA 2K15 made makes me really excited to see what SCEA can do with The Show 16, but it's not like 15 was a perfect game by any stretch.
You've played mlb 15?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #27
Banned

DemurOnion's Arena

OVR: 0

It isn't bad in any respect they just have a lot of catching up to do in certain areas like animations and visuals and realistic lighting/fields/stadiums. They made a lot of progress last year. I'll admit the PS4 version just looks dorky being midway between something that looks realistic and PS3 flat/bad/old. I certainly was not going to buy 14 as I just don't even care about baseball atm. But 15 I'm in and I hope they once again impress the hell out of me.

The PS3 version to me at this point deserves roster updates and nothing but.... it's time to move on. That hardware is ancient and not at all where they should be concentrating resources. If they bring The Show up to next gen standards it will rock the house.

I'm a stickler though and will be harsh as hell if fields don't look proper, if old animations look like 2009 again, and if those damn unis are STILL only done with one template for the number. It just looks plain ridiculous in 2014 to have a Yankee-type jersey with only a number look so badly misplaced. That isn't in the style guide either. It isn't acceptable anymore and neither is the online mode. Little things like that are killing it for me. I could not care less about stuff like commentary when there are fundamental problems with the game.

Last edited by DemurOnion; 09-26-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

After pondering this question a long time, the only thing that is really bad about this game is that"there ain't no future in your frontin" song. And its stuck in my head.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 0

Because they probably only own the xbox one and are hating. Even with its flaws it's the best video game representation of its sport by far in my opinion. I was watching the Royals comeback the other night and all I kept saying to myself was "this is just like a game of the show I played". When a video game captures your imagination like that you have something really special.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acts 4 12
Because they probably only own the xbox one and are hating. Even with its flaws it's the best video game representation of its sport by far in my opinion. I was watching the Royals comeback the other night and all I kept saying to myself was "this is just like a game of the show I played". When a video game captures your imagination like that you have something really special.
Yep, up by 3 against LA, I thought what the hell I'll use Soria as the closer. Walk basehit and I'm sweating so I turn it over to Nathan pop up, Walk, Strikeout, Grand Slam Ethier. I lose. Perfect representation of the game of major league baseball.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #31
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acts 4 12
funny, A's score and Royals would answer right back and all this talk about the AI doing the same lmao. Casual baseball fans smh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
funny, A's score and Royals would answer right back and all this talk about the AI doing the same lmao. Casual baseball fans smh
Yeah, and the "comeback code" that made Kershaw suddenly suck and the Dodgers to give up 8 in an inning.

I do wish I could hit a ball to the third deck with Harper though...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »