Home

For all the slider testers, how many games do you test with?

This is a discussion on For all the slider testers, how many games do you test with? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: For all the slider testers, how many games do you test with?

I agree I noticed the baserunners were too fast right away. Pretty easy fix had that down to 2 almost right away.

Most of the sliders came pretty easy to test.

The difficult ones were fielder reaction and run speed. Trying to get a nice balance of long fy balls and gap shots being tracked down as well as ground balls in the infield. I finally settled on 2 run speed to match the baserunners and 6 reaction.

But that was a little hard to test because you want to track balls in the ally and deep fly balls, but sometimes you just don't hit the ball there so you couldn't always assume it was a slider issue.

The solid hits was the hardest. It seems to trump the power slider. I settled on 3 after playing a ton of games at 2 and 4. That slider is real sensitive. At 4 Andrew Romine was a threat to go yard on any pitch. At 2, Cabrera would hit a HR every 15 to 20 games if lucky. 3 seems just about right. Romine has gone yard twice in 80 or so games and Cabrera goes deep about once every 5 games. But it took along time for me to get the sliders right to get that ratio.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
What an unfortunate generalization. Most of us 'other' slider-makers have played countless games. Hundreds of games. And to say there's only 1 set that's been properly vetted is actually pretty insulting to quite a few folks. At least, I find it insulting. I know I have well over 200 games in with my sliders, with no simming and no managing, FYI. Just because I (and others) am not keeping a Google doc open at all times doesn't mean I don't have data, either. And I don't mean just 1st layer data like runs, hits, homers etc.., but all kinds of nuanced stats as well.
Unfortunate gereralization...?

That's a little melodramatic, eh?

I wasn't trying to step on the ego of any slider makers here. As someone who has released sliders here before, I enjoy following many of those threads and keeping up with trends and ideas that go on there.

In my opinion, I just think that most users would be better suited focusing on the proper difficulty level and ridding out the game that way. I prefer to try the global sliders, and maybe some of the other slider changes from a guy like nomo, simply because I don't have to worry about the discrepancies that arise out of all of our different skill sets and playing styles.

I feel that too often people here rob themselves of an organic up and down baseball experience by keeping the idea of slider adjustments in the front of their head at all times. I've been guilty of that myself, and it seems as if it leads to a never ending loop of conformation biases.

I was simply giving my opinion on the best way to go about playing the game and approaching possible slider tweaks. I never said that one slider set has been "properly vetted." Whatever the hell that even means...

No need to feel insulted.

Although, speaking of being insulted.. Does anyone else find strange that the guy with the most self deprecating title for a slider set is the one getting insulted here?
Old 09-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
Unfortunate gereralization...?

That's a little melodramatic, eh?

I wasn't trying to step on the ego of any slider makers here. As someone who has released sliders here before, I enjoy following many of those threads and keeping up with trends and ideas that go on there.

In my opinion, I just think that most users would be better suited focusing on the proper difficulty level and ridding out the game that way. I prefer to try the global sliders, and maybe some of the other slider changes from a guy like nomo, simply because I don't have to worry about the discrepancies that arise out of all of our different skill sets and playing styles.

I feel that too often people here rob themselves of an organic up and down baseball experience by keeping the idea of slider adjustments in the front of their head at all times. I've been guilty of that myself, and it seems as if it leads to a never ending loop of conformation biases.

I was simply giving my opinion on the best way to go about playing the game and approaching possible slider tweaks. I never said that one slider set has been "properly vetted." Whatever the hell that even means...

No need to feel insulted.

Although, speaking of being insulted.. Does anyone else find strange that the guy with the most self deprecating title for a slider set is the one getting insulted here?
Cool story, bro
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »