Home

Players Headed to Rule 5 Draft?

This is a discussion on Players Headed to Rule 5 Draft? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #17
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Players Headed to Rule 5 Draft?

Main point.... The list is getting longer not shorter with the work arounds.
I seem to have more faith in the developers than you apparently. To say the AI won't be any better is rather short sighted on your part.
Not sure what " every year someone will find something to complain about" has to do with asking or wanting the developers to improve the AI decision making.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
To each his own. Everyone has a preference. We won't EVER have perfect AI it'll always be an issue in ALL sports games. I get it you don't use 30 team control and don't use workarounds, but you can't say no one told you how to prevent certain things and you choose not to go that route. Like I said AI will always be an issue regardless. Good luck with the rest of your Marlins franchise.

With D.J. Peterson was Kyle Seager still in Seattle at the time?
Nope. Seager was traded. That's why there was no blocking/log jam at the position situation. I didn't mind that so much because I thought they were going to go with Peterson as their guy (and the way he blossomed it made sense until the part they didn't add him to the 40-man at least).

At least the Cubs actually called up Baez (and didn't trade him, yet). So there's that.

As far as the "no one told me" part - I don't know where that's coming from. I never claimed that no one never mentioned how to do it, etc. I'm fully aware that it's my choice, etc, etc - again I don't remember ever saying otherwise or blaming the community for hiding workarounds or such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
I've only seen the CPU steal 3rd TWICE(I've played well over 200 games). Michael Bourn was the only player to do so. Played the Yankees 6 different times and Chase Headley never once attempted to steal 3rd and I was in the same situation you just described(nor did he attempt to steal 2nd). The only players that have a attempted to steal are speedsters or when the CPU had a hit and run on.

I have far less issue with the AI on the field. I don't see many steals of third either (and I have the steal frequency slider higher than default). I can probably count them on one hand. Heck, I like how the runners aren't always perfect on auto baserunning (even if I want to wring Solano's neck for over-estimating his speed lol). Though watching Viciedo steal was a trip (CPU decision) - and I think he surprised everyone on the field since the catcher threw it short by about 15 feet and it got into CF. Only reason he was safe too lol.

It's off the field with roster management and team-building (i.e. no 14-pitcher squads) that I think need the most improvement. Some might think it bad Seager got dealt - I don't mind that, it's just that the "follow up" action didn't make sense and didn't seem like it was all that difficult a decision for the AI to make (protecting the best 3B left in the system, MLB-Ready, young, already progressing well).

Last edited by KBLover; 10-19-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:07 PM   #19
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
You're right, I don't want to use workarounds or house rules. Burned out on that from dealing with Madden over the years. I just want to play baseball and run my team against a competent (not "perfect") AI opponent on and off the field.

Why leave a hitter that's got 65 Contact and 70 Power with 70 defense unprotected and is the best player at the position both in OVR and in hitting+defense? D.J. Peterson has not been returned (because he's the best player for them at 3B just like he was for Seattle) - he's doing just fine for himself - which he should have been doing for Seattle.

Peterson in real life wouldn't be rated that highly. .808 OPS in AA doesn't need 65/70 current hitting ratings. Those kind of hitting ratings could do .800 OPS in the majors, let alone AA, which is why I don't understand why he wasn't on the 40-man and playing at the majors with no one blocking him or any other log jam sort of situation.

Can't use that workaround if I wanted to since I'm nearing the 2nd half of Year 3 in my Marlins franchise.
Most likely because the game has never been able to call up players for any other reason aside from injuries.

That's a terrible design flaw that's never been addressed.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #20
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Most likely because the game has never been able to call up players for any other reason aside from injuries.

That's a terrible design flaw that's never been addressed.
I don't know if it necessarily is a design flaw. I believe the problem would be the shuffling of rosters.

We know how people get upset after spring training, imagine if all season long the roster was shuffled. People would be in an uproar.

I think to make it work, which I would like to see, would require a lot of logic and conditions programmed to allow for the flexibility.

I could see if just player a is better than player b logic being a mess, older players being cut etc....
Old 10-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #21
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

All they'd have to do is make AI teams react towards those monthly emails of players up/down trends.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2014, 11:33 AM   #22
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
All they'd have to do is make AI teams react towards those monthly emails of players up/down trends.
the problem with that would be losing good players who are having a down year. For instance, lets say Robinson Cano is having a down year and the AAA 2B is tearing it up. The M's decide to send down Cano and call up the hot 2B. Cano has no options and therefore lose him to waivers.

Its a slippery slope.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »