Home

Finally got around to playing online

This is a discussion on Finally got around to playing online within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Finally got around to playing online

Don't know how any of you who play online can possibly do it consistently. Game is close to unplayable. The glitchy animations are one thing, but the fact that batting plays COMPLETELY differently offline and online is a huge HUGE problem.

I'm early on EVERYTHING online. Doesn't matter if it's a 100 MPH fastball up and in, I'm early on it every time. There is some kind of huge discrepancy between the online and offline hitting.

Online it's almost as if you need to swing later than you think you need to in order to get normal timing. But visually what I see onscreen says I should be right on time with my swings. The feedback info says I'm very early or too early, but the actual baseball on my screen coming towards the plate would suggest otherwise.

At least 13 was playable when going from offline to online. I probably won't be able to get used to the online hitting this year if it's going to be like this. It's not possible to see something one way and try to change up your timing contrary to what you see on the screen.

Good lord this had better be improved next year.

End rant/complaint. Please, if you play online, do join the discussion. Do you notice the same things I wrote here?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #2
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Finally got around to playing online

I only tried to play a couple of games online when it first launched and it wasn't that great of an experience. Fortunately, I enjoy playing the CPU in this game a lot, so it's no big loss for me.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Definitely the #1 thing they need to work on for next year.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Rookie

Nicker_Bopper's Arena

Definitely a problem. The last time I played online was MLB12, and it was pathetic and made me not want to try anymore.

Like Knuckles said, luckily I love playing sim baseball offline so much that it never bothered me. But the issue does need to be addressed.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

no way this argument is always subjective IMO 13 was more difficult going from online to offline and for most part I enjoy 14 online besides all the bluescreen/dirtball bugs and refusal to be addressed by dev team
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2014, 03:17 AM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcClaneTW
Don't know how any of you who play online can possibly do it consistently. Game is close to unplayable. The glitchy animations are one thing, but the fact that batting plays COMPLETELY differently offline and online is a huge HUGE problem.

I'm early on EVERYTHING online. Doesn't matter if it's a 100 MPH fastball up and in, I'm early on it every time. There is some kind of huge discrepancy between the online and offline hitting.

Online it's almost as if you need to swing later than you think you need to in order to get normal timing. But visually what I see onscreen says I should be right on time with my swings. The feedback info says I'm very early or too early, but the actual baseball on my screen coming towards the plate would suggest otherwise.

At least 13 was playable when going from offline to online. I probably won't be able to get used to the online hitting this year if it's going to be like this. It's not possible to see something one way and try to change up your timing contrary to what you see on the screen.

Good lord this had better be improved next year.

End rant/complaint. Please, if you play online, do join the discussion. Do you notice the same things I wrote here?
I think you might be getting fooled a bit by the animation synchronization issues that have plagued MLB 14 online, and not really the timing per se. Initially (before the patches especially), I thought swing animation was a tad delayed than how I actually react, but the in-game results are actually in sync with my own timing. It's just that a whole a lot of animations tend to lag behind this year, due to the way the net code has been changed from the last year.

I personally find the hitting timing difference between online and offline to be smaller in MLB 14 than in MLB 13. Before MLB 14, I literally had to train my timing differently going offline to online, but that's not a huge issue this year. However, the pitch speed online tends to be quite a bit slower than in offline games (unless you adjust sliders in online leagues, etc.), so that may be a factor in how you are early on pitches online.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think you might be getting fooled a bit by the animation synchronization issues that have plagued MLB 14 online, and not really the timing per se. Initially (before the patches especially), I thought swing animation was a tad delayed than how I actually react, but the in-game results are actually in sync with my own timing. It's just that a whole a lot of animations tend to lag behind this year, due to the way the net code has been changed from the last year.

I personally find the hitting timing difference between online and offline to be smaller in MLB 14 than in MLB 13. Before MLB 14, I literally had to train my timing differently going offline to online, but that's not a huge issue this year. However, the pitch speed online tends to be quite a bit slower than in offline games (unless you adjust sliders in online leagues, etc.), so that may be a factor in how you are early on pitches online.
I havent played 14 yet online but I bet this is the case. 13 was fine online, but it was a little adjustment going from offline to online. 12 was pretty much the same way, but if it was laggy it'd affect your timing. 14 just seems to lag behind visually and not affect actual timing/performance.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
Rookie

Maybe I need to start taking back a little bit of what I said. I just played a game that was totally in sync with the timing, with minimal glitchiness. And one of the games that I played earlier where I was having huge timing issues, apparently the guy I played is from Spain...

I'll keep trying but I still think something is up with the animations on screen vs what I think the timing SHOULD be. I hit just fine offline this year and in previous years I've hit more than fine online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »