Home

Directional Hitting

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #25
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Directional Hitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
He was referring to MVP's directional hitting and why it wasn't realistic.
Right. And let me clarify while digging through old posts (which I may or may not bring up), I noted how big of a game killer this was for me for MVP, MLB 2K7, and obviously future 2K games as well. Anyway, in those threads, a user mentioned how 2K went from True Aim (essentially zone hitting) to something much simpler and... here was the biggest term... more accessible.

This is what I think they're going for. There were fans of MVP, and there are also a lot of young kids, or old kids, or whatever that might like this system better. And trust me, a lot of people like this hitting engine and I totally understand it. They are broadening their audience; I will never take that away from them.

My only response to this thread was not even to anyone at SCEA, but rather to the posters who said this simulates a real baseball swing approach. SCEA actually had it right in the past, where you could pre-determine your swing influence (using the right analog stick) and then do zone hitting. They might still have this, but I never use it so I'm not sure.

Though I want to ask those who oppose that thought of hitting to tell me exactly what a hitter would try and do mid-pitch to "pull" an inside pitch for a home run that differentiates their swing from a hitter adjusting mid-pitch to hit an outside pitch over the opposite field fence. I'm legitimately curious as to what they think. Remember, this is with regard to swing mechanics only, not timing (and we no location).

Bobhead, you're absolutely right... it's all about the experience people have and the results that they get. Personally for me, I couldn't ever get good results with this kind of system. It wasn't that I wasn't okay with the "pull inside, go other way outside" in terms of gameplay, but these three things bogged it down:

1) I never struck out enough.

2) Hitting outside pitches was too rewarding and gave me too good of results most of the time (and hitters who normally shouldn't hit well that way, did so).

3) The biggest one of all, the fly ball/ground ball influence was not only far too strong, but also far too abusive for most games. I wouldn't ever dare to hit fly balls for players who I felt couldn't hit it out, and I felt stupid trying to always hit fly balls for players who I thought had a chance to hit it out.

For #3, there are two separate remedies for this, and only one of which I can accept as a user. These are either:

1 Stopping myself from ever aiming up or down (which is a physical impossibility since my stick naturally follows the pitch).

2) Inverting the direction so that aiming down is an "uppercut" and aiming up is a "chop," so to speak. That way it is kind of a form of bringing your hands to the ball to influence line drives, and it would also promote low pitches to be able to be home runs.

They'll speak more about this someday, and I'm sure it will make a lot of sense. I'll even give it a shot, because to be honest I want that available system to work not just for me, but everybody else, and I'd like to provide my input for it.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 12-17-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Well, I am sure it will be optional. You like it use it, don't like it you can move on. Might need to wait and see what the Show's interpretation of this concept is before it is deemed unrealistic.

I still have no idea what this really is so yeah.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #27
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Sitting here, I just realized that MLB The Show might be doing right-stick directional hitting, in which case I'm fully game for that if so. MLB 2K8 had this, and it was very intuitive control. Sadly, besides the pitcher/batter battle, beginning with the actual ball physics that game was broken six ways to Sunday. The biggest goodness about right-stick directional hitting is that they can still do zone hitting with it, the second reason is because it won't have the fly ball/ground ball hassle.

In fact, I have embarrassing YouTube videos that I made where I suggested exactly what they could do with that (the videos were meant for the 2K series at the time, but either works). I have since made some personal modifications to my decision-making from these videos (because this was an impulse recording rather than being well-thought out like it is now), but oh well. I want you to keep in mind that The Show has since implemented most of my ideas, without the directional stuff in place.

Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
The big question (in directional hitting or any interface for that matter) is can we still move which way we want to hit the ball (or the PCI for zone) AFTER we press x? If the answer is yes, then I'll be in baseball heaven. My problem with The Show's hitting on zone is that I often time the pitch right but I'm not able to move the PCI where it needs to go because it stops moving once you press the x button.
They've never quite allowed this, and it's been hard to deal with which is why I could never use PCI.

The games that allow you to still move your "cursor" after swinging since the PS2 era, to my knowledge, are:

- All Star Baseball 2002 (digital)
- Home Run King (digital)
- World Series Baseball 2K3 (digital)
- ESPN Major League Baseball (digital)
- MLB 2004 (digital)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2 (digital/analog)
- ESPN Major League Baseball 2K5 (digital)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 3 (digital/analog)
- MLB Power Pros (digital/analog)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 4 (digital/analog)
- MLB Power Pros 2008 (digital/analog)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 (digital/analog)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (digital/analog)
- Major League Baseball 2K9 (analog)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2010 (digital/analog)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2011 (digital/analog)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012 (digital/analog)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2013 (digital/analog)
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2014 (digital/analog)

Games which did not allow it are:

- All Star Baseball 2003 (digital)
- All Star Baseball 2004 (digital)
- All Star Baseball 2005 (digital)
- MLB 08: The Show (analog)
- MLB 09: The Show (analog)
- MLB 10: The Show (analog)
- MLB 11: The Show (analog)
- MLB 12: The Show (analog)
- MLB 13: The Show (analog)
- MLB 14: The Show (analog)

Obviously there are different mechanics in play, though. For instance, one of them being what's written in parentheses... what kind of system it is they used as their cursor, either a "reset to center" (analog) or free-roaming (digital). I always liked digital for cursor hitting, and "analog" when it came to zone hitting. Power Pros and Pro Yakyuu has the option to do one or the other, except whichever one you choose also goes over to the pitching side as well, which is unfortunate because I like digital for hitting and analog for pitching lol.

One suggestion I made is that it simply "slows down" after you start your swing, because you've already began the vicinity of where you want to swing and then you can only make minor adjustments thereafter. I'm sure the game is hard-coded to determine where you'll hit it and everything else once you start that swing, though. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know how this game is coded at all really.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 12-19-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #28
Banned

HouseKeepinItReal's Arena

OVR: 2

Directional hitting is probably like zone and pure analog together: The left stick will determine the vertical position of the pci and the right stick will be the horizontal position(inside/outisde). It can work with or without the stride. Push up on the right stick when you want to swing.

This is my best guess. I forget what MVP was like. If someone already said this I am sorry. I haven't been able to retain all the posts in this thread.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #29
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Old 12-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #30
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

I just hope directional hitting they are trying to introduce has more to do with controlling a players swing mechanics more closely. I enjoy being able to control a players stride while batting. But my thinking is overly optimistic.

I'm only expecting an accessible gameplay feature for players to become more enabled to have directional hitting as apart of their repertoire. And I hope that isn't even true. But directional hitting is already in the game, they even have a training mode just for it in MLB 14, for you to get practice doing it.

To add: one thing about directional hitting and hitting in general in this series. The default sliders are really prone to in my opinion unrealistic contact. Therefore, when you generally hit a ball your swing does have less influence because the game sliders grant you generally line drives and up the middle smokers.

My belief has been that the contact slider, is the largest influence on this. If you test the contact sliders at 10 for example, you cant miss. You can pull a ball through the 3b/ss hole that was low and outside AND off the plate. The contact slider influences alot of things, which is why I null it all together. However, most players aren't going to even tinker a slider so they are kind of stuck with the system in place.

This does bring hope to me that, they are perhaps stengthening the contact physics perhaps or something along those lines. I usually play from a different perspective so I feel directional hitting doesnt even need to be addressed, but I can now understand why they do need to introduce whatever they might have planned for us. And I think it probably will do all of us good.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 12-18-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #31
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Just another thought since I brought it up, they could also mimic All Star Baseball's cursor.

Didn't appreciate it enough, though. Same reasons as any other system: couldn't homer if you didn't tilt the thing or use power. Also, aiming it in a direction brought it in that direction, period and end of story.

Obviously The Show could do different by that, though. Maybe they would do it more like Home Run King for Gamecube, since the PCI is similar.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Hmmm...
Are you saying directional hitting will involve a movie theater??!?!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »