Home

Durability ratings

This is a discussion on Durability ratings within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Durability ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
True enough.

I've been asking for an injury attribute for quite some time.
So have others.........

IMO...durability should be a strict 0-162 scale....with a 162 and a 99 durability a player should play 162 games until something(obviously must be coded) changes one or the other.
But this is obviously low on the totem pole and SCEA is satisfied for the moment with DUR as the sole attribute.

M.K.
Knight165
Okay, but for the sake of realism, getting hit in the face by a pitch, or off the bat as in Chapman's case, has nothing to do with durability. Penalizing such players durability points is not what durability to me is about.

The solution I see is not having separate injury and durability attributes, but rather an observance of those non-durability injuries. With that knowledge intact, durability ratings would be more realistic.

Getting hurt running to the base, in my mind is durability, and so is fielding a play and hamstring, back, arm and shoulder related to durability. There are injuries that belong to durability, and some "injuries" that do not.

Of course, the above are just my opinions, and I am not a MLB trainer for any team.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #18
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

But there is no other mechanism in the game to try and dictate games played for CPU managed players and to give human managers indication of game readiness.

...and durability in it's current state should indeed cound HBP if it leads to an injury....as it effects the players injury status.
Not every player that gets hit by a pitch goes to the DL and those that do don't always have small enough effect on GP to ignore it.

...and ....the number of players effected in this way is small enough that you could go in and edit him to a higher DUR with miniscule effort.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #19
Rookie

Moss44's Arena

OVR: 0

I feel like it would be good for a system similar to what NBA 2K has going to be implemented in the Show where different body parts have different durability levels. This would also help with recurring injuries
Old 01-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
MVP

rjackson's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Okay, but for the sake of realism, getting hit in the face by a pitch, or off the bat as in Chapman's case, has nothing to do with durability. Penalizing such players durability points is not what durability to me is about.

The solution I see is not having separate injury and durability attributes, but rather an observance of those non-durability injuries. With that knowledge intact, durability ratings would be more realistic.

Getting hurt running to the base, in my mind is durability, and so is fielding a play and hamstring, back, arm and shoulder related to durability. There are injuries that belong to durability, and some "injuries" that do not.

Of course, the above are just my opinions, and I am not a MLB trainer for any team.
Tried to head that off at the pass...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss44
I feel like it would be good for a system similar to what NBA 2K has going to be implemented in the Show where different body parts have different durability levels. This would also help with recurring injuries
and there is the slippery slope.

Just because Jeter's ankles were ready to go that one time doesn't mean we need to adjust for them again after the surgery (for example). SDS is using a formula to determine their ratings and it could be based on innings or games played. Is it perfect? Can't please everyone all the time. As Knight and myself alluded to, some people will miss some games and others won't.

Accept those things we cannot change...and for everything else, there is a player editor.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #21
MVP

MLB.com has injury updates with very good information. If I were included in the process of making this game, I would check that source daily and keep a record.

Let us look at editing and how many players do I edit:

1. Just the players I want to do? Well, that's like cheating to me.

2. All the players? See first paragraph.

How significant is all this? Well, to me it is significant for the sake of realism. I don't want to see players like Stanton and Chapman penalized durability points for injuries that have nothing to do with durability. Now, if you think getting hit in the face by a pitch, or off the bat as with Chapman, is related to durability, I say have a nice day and we will end it at that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #22
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Well...there it is then.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #23
MVP

rjackson's Arena

How often do these freak injuries occur? I can only think of McCarthy, Chapman, Heyward, and Stanton in recent years. Giving a few ticks to their durability should satisfy you without it being cheating. If not, then that is solely your issue to deal with - and you have to keep in mind that this is a game made for the masses.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #24
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Definition
du·ra·bil·i·ty

ˌd(y)o͝orəˈbilədē/
noun
the ability to withstand wear, pressure, or damage.
Some players are durable enough to sustain a knock to the noggin.
Stanton wasn't. Case closed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »