Home

Can someone please explain player regression to me?

This is a discussion on Can someone please explain player regression to me? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Can someone please explain player regression to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
This topic has been debated previously. Essentially, as with some other changes in mlbts 14, a small but vocal group wanted progression to be changed and they convinced the devs to change it.
Ehhhhh.....WRONG.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 01-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Ehhhhh.....WRONG.

M.K.
Knight165
Not just that, the old system was severely flawed in many ways so change was necessary IMO. While the newer system isn't perfect, it is miles ahead of the old one. My one complaint is that I completely stopped receiving potential changing emails after year 3, I don't know if that is intentional or a bug but it was/is certainly annoying.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 PM   #11
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
This topic has been debated previously. Essentially, as with some other changes in mlbts 14, a small but vocal group wanted progression to be changed and they convinced the devs to change it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2015, 01:09 AM   #12
Pro

OVR: 0

ya maybe they can code in a certain age to start the regression like 34 or 35. Ultimately, I would love either a performance based progression/regression system or keep the potentialsystem and add a xp system based on their potential so that u can combat the regression a little.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I have 4-6 guys in that 34 or older group and they still hit fine. Yeah....some regress but that is part of the game. It may not be a perfect equation but it is what it is. Franchise mode would be boring if you could acquire an A potential then they'd be beasts until theyre 40 every time. I like the randomness.

Youtube
Old 01-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

I still think that most people look at the exceptions instead of the rule when looking at regression and "real life" performance. Of course there are outliers, but that is not the norm.

If you look at it objectively with statistical evidence, baseball is a sport for younger players with skills and regression occurring much sooner than you may believe.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rosters
This is he average age of the major league rosters last year. The youngest average age was 26.5 and the oldest was 29..

Baseball prospectus has a great study showing that the peak age of players is 29 and there is a sharp decline at that point. With decline beginning at age 30 and really hitting bottom at around 35.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=9933

As Bill James states;
Good hitters stay around, weak hitters don't. Most players are declining by age 30; all players are declining by age 33. There are difference in rates of decline, but those differences are far less significant for the assessment of future value than are the differing levels of ability (James, 1982, p. 205).

I actually believe the Show does a good job representing regression. Of course there should be programmed in some outliers and the occasional person that doesn't completely tank, but with not allowing players to retire while in contract that allows some players to play later into their careers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I have 4-6 guys in that 34 or older group and they still hit fine. Yeah....some regress but that is part of the game. It may not be a perfect equation but it is what it is. Franchise mode would be boring if you could acquire an A potential then they'd be beasts until theyre 40 every time. I like the randomness.
I haven't played FIFA in a few years but the last time I played it their players had a hidden progression arc. Some would progress and peak early, some were late bloomers, some progressed and remained at a high level, others didn't progress.

I wonder if MLBTS handles that through the potential rating. My preference would be for the potential rating to indicate a player's ceiling but not his arc of progression/regression. The arc of a player's progression/regression should predictable based upon which model he is assigned when created but independent of the potential rating and unknown to the user.

Progression/regression would not be random other than the randomness of f which model the player gets when he is created.

Or, maybe they are already doing it that way. Only the devs know.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #16
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedEvil
Ultimately, I would love either a performance based progression/regression system.
I've never understood this train of thought...someone want to explain it to me? Isn't a rich get richer poor get poorer kinda of deal? Guys bats .350 and 50hr's is he suppose to have his ovr go up and next year bat .400?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »